PDA

View Full Version : Some type of allergic reaction? Help identify some bugs (images included)

PrimoTurbo
June 1st, 2006, 08:43 PM
So I’ve been waking up for the last couple of days and feeling that my throat is a little swollen up, I’ve also noticed that my mouth feels very tight when I open my mouth it feels like the back of it is stretching and it’s a little painful. Also my lips are a little bit swollen. It’s not very noticeable but I’m wondering what this can be from, it started last week sometime.

I sleep with my windows open and I’m wondering if it’s an allergic reaction to something. I have pigeons running around on my balcony as much as I try to chase them away, I also have a bunch of trees 20 feet away.

Anyone had anything similar? I don’t feel like going to the doctor yet because it’s not very serious and I want to try to figure what’s causing this.

Also I don’t think its food related because I have been eating at home for the last week and regular food nothing out of the ordinary. One more thing it could be is fluoride as I have started using it as mouth wash 2 times a day, but recently stopped and I still get this. Anyways I doubt that fluoride is the problem since I’ve used it on many occasions before.

I decided to look around my windows they are 3 feet away from my head when I sleep. Anyways I discovered a bunch of dead bugs and 1 was alive between the windows since I have a 2 layer window. Also yesterday I killed one of these because it was elsewhere in the room. Now they don’t look very dangerous, I’ve seen them last summer also but I have no idea what they are. I’m wondering if they are actually something that can cause this? I’m already going to try and seal all the holes that I think they might be getting in from, I noticed there was a couple in the windows frame.

Here is an image, sorry my camera is complete crap and cannot pick up any detail so this is for size comparison. Next to a Penny.

http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/1849/bug5ya.jpg

It’s very hard to tell how these bugs look like they are pretty small, they also have wings. I made a quick mockup in Photoshop to show off. I think they have 6 legs but it’s very hard to tell but not more then 6.

http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/1678/bug29kf.jpg

Can anyone identify what these are? Any suggestions welcome..

prizrak
June 1st, 2006, 09:40 PM
Doesn't seem like anything I know to cause some alergies. I think those are just some of the regular bugs. However you might want to look through some insect databases to see if you can find them. As for allergies I suggest going to a doctor. The symptoms sound pretty weird actually and don't seem to fit regular seasonal allergy symptoms. Since you don't have a runny nose or itchy eyes or anything.

PrimoTurbo
June 1st, 2006, 09:46 PM
Yeah I found out, it's a carpet bettle.

http://www.forestryimages.org/images/768x512/1233089.jpg

I have a feeling this is not an allergic reaction, but sometype of a mild infection. Someone suggestion the mumps but I don't experince noticable gland swelling and it acctually almost goes away but mid day, also I have no fever or anything like that.

Any ideas? I'll visit a doctor in a day or two if it doesn't go away but it's very mild and has been going on for the past 3-4 days.

fuscia
June 2nd, 2006, 12:35 AM
you could try taking some benadryl and see if that changes any of the symptoms. allergies don't have to be accompanied by runny nose. i'm allergic to grass, for example, and the only symptom i ever get is hives.

prizrak
June 2nd, 2006, 05:01 AM
Well benadryl will get rid of the swelling regardless of what it is caused by as it is an antihistamine. I was actually prescribed it as anti congestion medicine before when I had a cold.