PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 2 Unity issues Backlight & Icons size

hish747
October 15th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I actually really like the unity interface as it is almost exactly like the way I use mac os x with the dock on the left. But I'm having two issues which are kind of annoying.

1.Despite installing compiz config settings manager and confirming the settings in gconf-editor, I can't get unity icons in the dock not to use the orange background which I find tacky.

2. The settings in gconf-editor indicate that you can control the icon size but no matter what value I use the icons remain the same size.

So is there a way to do this? I am especially interested in having the dock shrink to accomodate more icons instead of scrolling up and down.
Thanks,
Hish

Vtwin
October 15th, 2011, 01:36 AM
To resize the icons, in CompizConfig Settings Manager select Desktop then Ubuntu Unity Plugin, then Experimental Tab and then you can use the slider in Launcher Icon Size. Hope this helps

Blaqksheep
October 15th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Correct. You can also alter the icon backlight settings in that same place via a dropdown box. I'm quite fond of Backlight Toggles. =)

hish747
October 15th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Right...I wasn't real clear. I tried changing the settings in the compiz settings and confirmed in gconf-editor that the changes stuck but the actual size of the icons hasn't changed and the backlight stays on regardless of what I select.

mc4man
October 15th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Sounds like you're logging into unity-2d instead of unity(3d) or being logged into it as a fallback due to lack of 3d support

what does this show

/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p

Lots of ways to tell if on unity-2d, this is pretty straightforward (you'll see unity-2d listed

ps aux |grep unity

Gs Dewd
October 16th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Yes it does sound like your in 2d mode not 3d. I changed all my settings without issue.

hish747
October 16th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Thank You, That was it!