PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to 11:10 disaster

Dyffo
October 14th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I have upgraded to 11:10 - this appears to be a disaster.Displays are in left hand side of the screen and in picture format- previously listed on top of the screen. I cannot find Admin, Preferences, System tools, Terminal, Internet and so on. Seems that all my programmes like Skype have gone. My settings, bookmarks have gone.Videos, Downloads photos have gone. Help please. Can I revert back to my old 11:04.and restore from back up.

MAFoElffen
October 14th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I have upgraded to 11:10 - this appears to be a disaster.Displays are in left hand side of the screen and in picture format- previously listed on top of the screen. I cannot find Admin, Preferences, System tools, Terminal, Internet and so on. Seems that all my programmes like Skype have gone. My settings, bookmarks have gone.Videos, Downloads photos have gone. Help please. Can I revert back to my old 11:04.and restore from back up.
Thats because your previous config, you where running Gnome as your desktop, which gnome or Ubuntu Classic was the fallback. In 11.10, Unity 2D is the fallback and gnome is not even installed as a fallback. But do not dispair...

To get back to that back, or a semblance of that (It will be gnome3 instaead of gnome2):
Press on the "Software Center" Icon in the left toolbar > In the Software Center, type "gnome shell" in the filter box > Install Gnome Shell.

After install completes, close the software center. Reboot system. At login screen, click on the icon at the upper right of the Login box.... > a pulldown menu will appear with your desktop options > select gnome... Continue logging in.

Dyffo
October 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks for this - yes got it back - sort of. Lost all data,and Programmes like Skype. It seems that this was / is more like a FRESH INSTALL rather than an upgrade. I would advise anyone considering this up grade - DO NOT -Mind you if you are reading this it is probably too late !.