PDA

View Full Version : Directx

tkaplan
October 14th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Is there a community that is developing a directx emulator for ubuntu that I can join? Wine and VMware do not count as they do not fully implement nor strive to implement gaming on ubuntu.

Thanks

cariboo
October 14th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Why not use a system running Windows to play Windows games?

HoKaze
October 14th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Not to the best of my knowledge. It ain't my area of expertise but if I recall correctly directx is pretty tied in with various elements of Windows so you'd pretty much have to reimplement aspects of windows in order to be able to use it elsewhere. Or in other words, you'd need something like wine anyway <_<;
I may be misunderstanding something there but regardless, if you want directx and aren't willing to use virtual machines or wine then why aren't you using windows? If you want to use something that's exclusive to Microsoft, go and use their product, if you want the power and flexibility of a UNIX-like OS, use Linux or one of the BSDs.

fatality_uk
October 14th, 2011, 10:55 PM
1. Direct X on Linux wont happen. As stated its Windows only for that
2. +1 for cariboo907's comment. If you NEED Windows gaming, game on Windows
3.Don't know what type of gaming you are looking for but there are many great games for Linux. http://www.google.co.uk/search?gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=linux+gaming
If you can't find a game you like from the vast array out there, then I guess Windows is what you need.

samjh
October 14th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Is there a community that is developing a directx emulator for ubuntu that I can join? Wine and VMware do not count as they do not fully implement nor strive to implement gaming on ubuntu.

Thanks

Why not join the Wine project and help them implement DirectX? Plenty of things to do there: http://wiki.winehq.org/DirectX-ToDo

3Miro
October 14th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Virtual machines (VMWare, VirtualBox ...) have 100% perfect implementations of directx, they just can't get the drivers right to access the native hardware. It is like having directx, but no video card.

However, wine is trying to fully implement directx on Linux and they are pretty close. New game releases need only a few months to start working under Linux. I play Oblivion, Starcraft II, Dragons Age and Civilization under Linux. I even make my own mods for Civilization IV.

Wine is the best bet for directx under Linux.

fatality_uk
October 14th, 2011, 11:38 PM
The situ with Direct X on Linux is the same as ReactOS. It will ALWAYS fall far behind current DX on Windows and if people have to wait 18 months + for DX on Linux to be able to play today#s games, I say it's better to test what's in Linux's stable.

3Miro
October 14th, 2011, 11:44 PM
The situ with Direct X on Linux is the same as ReactOS. It will ALWAYS fall far behind current DX on Windows and if people have to wait 18 months + for DX on Linux to be able to play today#s games, I say it's better to test what's in Linux's stable.

Linux will always fall short of Directx games, however, the wait isn't that much at all. I can play Dragons Age II that came out less than six months. For popular games the difference is less than 12 months. The goal is to eventually have native games, although this would imply no directx.

Lucradia
October 15th, 2011, 12:08 AM
You can join ReactOS actually, since ReactOS contributes massive code changes back and forth to Wine. Also, they have their own from-scratch implementation of DirectX, like their OS, known as React X or something to that.

But you need to know C / C# / etc.