PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] "Super + D" doesn't work in Ubuntu 11.10 anymore

mgt2000
October 14th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Hi everybody,
I installed Ubuntu 11.10 yesterday but I have a small problem! one of the shortcuts (Super + D) which minimize all windows doesn't work any more. what is the problem?
of course I already use another shortcut (Ctrl + Alt + D) but still I prefer the previous one and based on documentation it should work in this new version of Ubuntu too.

Thanks

mc4man
October 15th, 2011, 12:27 AM
If you wish to change ctrl+alt+d to super+d then you can do so in system settings > keyboard > shortcuts > navigation

(the 'show desktop' in 11.10 unity currently is a bit bugged, though nothing to due with the binding used

Cobalto
October 16th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I tried that, but it only brings up the Launcher and types 'd' into the Dash. Also, for some reason, it registers my Super key as Mod4. Could that be the problem? Additionally, CTRL+ALT+d usually needs to be pressed twice. Anybody else seeing that?

vasa1
October 16th, 2011, 06:24 AM
It (super+D) works for me if I press both keys together without a lag.

Cobalto
October 16th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Mine doesn't, at least not consistently. It does work about every second time, but every attempt -successful or otherwise- brings up the Launcher and Dash.

I wonder why the inconsistency and the difference from yours...I'm on a Dell Studio XPS, if that matters.

tommo1982
October 16th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Pressing Super + D will try to run something placed on the Launcher. If you hold Super for some time you will see numbers and letters on the icons there. You'll see that by pressing Super + 1 Nautilus will run, Super + 2 browser if you left the default setting. I think Super + D is set to something that no longer exists at the Launcher, that's why it returns an error (in my case at least). Now to find what it is bound to.

Btw, when I try to change CTRL + ALT + D to Super + D, it shows like Mod4 + D as well.

mc4man
October 16th, 2011, 06:32 PM
super+d works fine here to 'show desktop'
You would want to press & hold super, then press d - a tap on super opens dash so if trying to do super & d at same time may open it instead
In any event 'show desktop' has issues, at least for many, bug on is not yet fixed.
This has been seen here on numerous fresh installs, I don't do upgrades
bug on - can affect both the keyboard & alt-tab switcher
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/864870

Hakunka-Matata
October 16th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Pressing Super + D will try to run something placed on the Launcher. If you hold Super for some time you will see numbers and letters on the icons there. You'll see that by pressing Super + 1 Nautilus will run, Super + 2 browser if you left the default setting. I think Super + D is set to something that no longer exists at the Launcher, that's why it returns an error (in my case at least). Now to find what it is bound to.

Btw, when I try to change CTRL + ALT + D to Super + D, it shows like Mod4 + D as well.

Mod4+D equates to SuperKey + D

tommo1982
October 16th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Everything works now. I'm not really sure if it's a bug or a configuration problem. I was playing with compiz settings and had to re-enable Unity plugin. After that Super + D works fine. Either it was that or something else I did fixed the problem.

Cobalto
October 17th, 2011, 12:25 AM
It works for me now too! WEIRD. I just rebooted and noticed it just now. Maybe it needed a full restart rather than a logout/login.

mdacova
October 24th, 2011, 09:26 PM
It works for me now too! WEIRD. I just rebooted and noticed it just now. Maybe it needed a full restart rather than a logout/login.

also had to reboot to fix, nice one guys

xedi
January 30th, 2012, 06:52 PM
It doesn't work for me on my computer either after I upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10. How do you reenable the plugin? If I understand correctly that fixed the problem (rebooting alone doesn't.