PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Oneiric 11.10: X11 monitor flickering and then gray screen

mfpompadour
October 14th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I just upgraded my desktop computer to Oneiric 11.10.

The login screen looks just fine.
However, when I log in, X windows starts flickering. After a few minutes, I have a grey screen, and cannot do anything.

Edit: If I log on using Ubuntu 2D, I see a gray screen with mouse as my session is brought up, then I see the standard desktop. There is no flickering, but I get a gray screen and no functionality (no mouse, etc.) after a few minutes.

Edit 2: The screen is completely gray. One color. Not dimmed. Gray.

Edit 3: If I sit on the log in screen, I don't get a locked up machine.

How do I resolve this issue?

therieb
October 15th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I have a similar problem with and Oneiric upgrade to an Asus netbook. Screen continually goes dim but only in battery mode. I can fix the brightness with the f5 key, but it goes grey again after a minute or so.

therieb
October 15th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Following the advice from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1832942&highlight=oneiric+seeker+dpms to add

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

to /etc/xorg.conf

seems to have fixed the problem on the Asus 1005. Hope this is is helpful to others

mfpompadour
October 16th, 2011, 02:13 PM
No, I think you have a different problem then me.

The screen is COMPLETELY gray. Not dimmed. GRAY.

bbarwick
October 19th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I'm having the same problem after I upgraded to 11.10. I have a Dell M4600 laptop. If I close my screen and re-open it brings me to the unlock screen. The flickering happens only when the screen seems to rest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I figure anything out I will post

-B

cparata
October 19th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I have had the same problem after I upgraded to 11.10 but only once. The screen was completely black and sometimes it appeared and disappeared. I was obliged to reboot. I have an Acer Aspire One D250 laptop. I'm using Unity 2D interface. I'm waiting for another event like that and then I'll post on Ubuntu bug list.

system11
October 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
One of our users just 'upgraded' to 11.10 by accident, and the machine (a Thinkpad T420) now has a stretched, offset to the right and flickering display. It hasn't gone totally grey, it just keeps flickering almost like a failed panel.