PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Another failed upgrade 11.04 to 11.10

cearlp
October 14th, 2011, 08:40 PM
The upgrade ran mostly overnight unattended. In the morning the upgrade was paused at replacing some file that may have been previously modified (don't remember the exact filename) but since I hadn't modified it I selected replace. After some time passed the screen went black and the computer was frozen. I powered it off and on trying to reboot but it hangs at Checking battery state. The laptop is not running on battery, it has power connected to it. Trying to reboot selecting my previous installation from the Previous Linux Versions option hangs at the same point....Checking battery state.
Any suggestions, anybody?

grunkern
October 17th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Have you managed to sort this out ?? I had a failed upgrade because the cat sat on my laptop (GROAN) during upgrade process. Bleedin CATastrophe.
:lolflag:
Anyhow did a parallel installation as when using 11.10 CD and running against my HDD I do not get an upgrade option on Dev/sda1 as the partition is already viewed as running 11.10
I can now boot into new install but original install despite trying to fix through terminal configure and update hangs at battery state as well.

The problem I have is that under 11.04 I encrypted my home dir and cannot now access with parallel install and I need some files from home dir before I do a full erase and re-install.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

23dornot23d
October 17th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Check the list below of failed upgrades ..... your problem may already have been solved

look for SOLVED next to ones similar to this problem and check the threads concerned
there are often good answers and useful information supplied in them ....

Otherwise .... just answer again saying none apply .... and someone else will look at this ty ;)