PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Launcher, No dash after upgrade 11.10

pp.
October 14th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Up to now, I used to use the Gnome Classic desktop in 11.04.

After updating to 11.10

There is just the desktop with a menu bar.
There is no launcher, no dash; in fact, in can't find any of the things the help file shows.
Excepting the menu bar, there are no controls of any sort anywhere.
There is no program menu. There is no terminal window.
In fact, I only can start programs by double clicking on files.

I would like my Gnome desktop back, please.
Failing that, I would like to have all those controls such as Launcher, dashes and whatever they are called just so I can use my computer again.

randywilharm
October 15th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Go to a terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

and reboot after it finishes loading. Immediately before you enter pass-
word upon reboot, select Gnome classic from options, or sometimes there is a cog
you click...try that.

g30rg3
October 15th, 2011, 05:04 AM
I have the same problem. Dash has suddenly disappeared. I would like to bring it back. I'm using Ubuntu 11.10. Is there any way I can bring up the terminal and then Compiz Settings Manager? I would like to avoid reinstalling from scratch

Krytarik
October 15th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Is there any way I can bring up the terminal and then Compiz Settings Manager?
Try first if pressing Ctrl+Alt+T brings up the Terminal - as this wasn't the case in Natty 11.04, but is indicated in another thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859786) to work now. If it doesn't, please see this guide for another way, and more instructions:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/04/missing-top-and-side-panels-in-unity.html

Regards.

qunungnauraq
October 15th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I have a similar problem. I did a clean install of 11.10 64 bit and enabled initiate window picker for all windows for an expose effect. After a reboot my dash launcher was stuck in auto-hide and I would have to use the key command to launch it.

pp.
October 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks to allfor their advice.

All attempts to fix the problem failed. Some produced error messages about "invalid characters in package names" referring to jaunty.

I think that the repeated updates for several years have left so much garbage that the new packages somehow failed to clean up my system.

In the meantime I have decided to re-install from scratch. Which I did. Everything seems to work now. I don't know whether I like the "new" Unity. I certainly don't like being told when I have to learn to use a new GUI,

Such is life.

robertmf
October 15th, 2011, 09:44 PM

word upon reboot, select Gnome classic from options, or sometimes there is a cog
you click...try that.

:P Thanks.

Krytarik
October 15th, 2011, 09:58 PM

you click...try that.
Btw., this way is only possible because "gnome-session-fallback" is a 'recommend' of "gnome-panel":

http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/gnome-panel

So, it's quite an indirect installation method for the Gnome Classic sessions :P , and it doesn't work if you disabled the automatic installation of 'recommends', which it isn't by default, however.

Regards.

pacodea
October 16th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I had the same problem and the only way I could recover it was starting Ubunto 2D.

I hope this help.

areeda
October 16th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I ran into this issue and found compiz was crashing.

As far as I can tell it has to do with setting options in Compiz settings. I'm pretty conservative in my settings nothing very drastic. I haven't nailed down which one so I decided to give up on them while I decide it I upgrade now or wait for a few bug fixes first.

I could recover by Ctl-Alt-F2 to drop to a terminal, log in then run unity --reset, reboot and the launcher and top menu bar were back.

Joe