PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing 11.10 on a small HD

julian.irwin
October 14th, 2011, 07:50 PM
My netbook has an 8GB SSD and a 4GB SSD. I have run every version of Ubuntu since 10.04 on it without a problem. This morning I tried to install 11.10 after formatting both drives. The installer won't let me hit the 'continue' button on the second pre-installation screen because I don't have 8.6GB of free space on a single drive. I usually mount root on one drive and /home on the other. I have never had a problem like this before.

EDIT: I noticed that on all of the installation screenshots that I found on the web the minimum recommended HD size was just 4.4GB. Why is mine different?

Is ubuntu turning into windows? Why doesn't the installer trust my judgement!!
Thanks,
Julian

Rille_lkp
November 10th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I ran into the same problem trying to install 11.10 to an 8GB USB.
All information i could find pointed to that the CD-install should fit on less then 8GB while the DVD-install requires 8.6GB.

After some testing i found something strange:
- Put downloaded ISO on a 8GB USB-stick and try to install Ubuntu from that: Installation requires 8.6GB HDD
- Put downloaded ISO on a 1GB USB-stick and try to install Ubuntu from that: Installation requires 4-5GB (can't remember exactly) HDD

So it seems that if you put your downloaded ISO on a large medium it thinks you have the DVD-install even though you don't and the installation requires 8.6GB HDD.