PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] lower panel & getting rid of all the "gnome" options

pasti
October 14th, 2011, 07:01 PM
After upgrading to 11.10 earlier today I'm having problems with the lower launcher panel, it now has a grey background in 11.04 it was transparent, does anyone know how to make it transparent again?, it's kinda annoying, also the only other problem I've run into is that there are now a few other desktop options at the login screen, (if you click the little gear wheel icon)things like "Gnome classic" "gnome without effects" and "ubuntu", is it safe to get rid of these as I don't want to go back to Unity and gnome shell is a no no for me, any help greatly appreciated.would it be as simple as ( sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop) or equivalent?.

Apart from those few niggles I'm liking Xubuntu 11.10 a lot, and the new look software centre get's a big thumbs up from the rest of the family as well.

Ok I've solved the panel transparency, the upgrade had turned off "display compositing" in the "window manager tweaks", but I'd still love to know if it's safe to get rid of all the other D.e options in the login manager, why are they installed in the first place?