PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome 2 -> Gnome 3 = XFCE?

SMcE
October 14th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I have just "upgraded" from 11.04 to 11.10, and it has been yet another deeply unpleasant upgrade experience from Ubuntu.

Gnome 3 is the main problem this time. None of my Gnome 2 settings from 11.04 have been imported into Gnome 3, and the System>Preferences and System>Administration menus have vanished and all the applications that were under these menus have been just dumped into Applications>Other.

Does anybody know if it is possible to import user settings from Gnome 2 into Gnome 3? Otherwise I will have to follow Linus's example (http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linus-ditches-kde-and-gnome-so-what) and use XFCE. It will probably be easier than trying to fix the mess that is Gnome 3.

vandamme
October 19th, 2011, 01:41 AM
They moved the system settings over to the right side under your login. I guess this is so people don't fool with them when they're trying to run applications. Actually it looks like it's a nice desktop and I'd prefer it to Unity, but unfortunately my video is messed up and I can't get gnome 3 to work right....sigh....