PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] usbmount in 11.10

larsbj
October 14th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Hi

After upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10 i found that usbmount dont mount my usb devices anymore. Before they where mounted in /media/usbX. Any hints why this behaviour has changed ?

collisionystm
October 14th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Hi

After upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10 i found that usbmount dont mount my usb devices anymore. Before they where mounted in /media/usbX. Any hints why this behaviour has changed ?

If you did an upgrade
try removing usbmount and reinstalling

coffeecat
October 14th, 2011, 05:17 PM
try removing usbmount and reinstalling

+1 to removing usbmount, but it may not be necessary to re-install. You should not be using usbmount in an installation with a GUI. It is intended only for GUI-less systems. It interferes with the USB automounting functionality built into the GUI desktop.

Disregard this if you are running the server version of Ubuntu.

collisionystm
October 14th, 2011, 05:24 PM
+1 to removing usbmount, but it may not be necessary to re-install. You should not be using usbmount in an installation with a GUI. It is intended only for GUI-less systems. It interferes with the USB automounting functionality built into the GUI desktop.

Disregard this if you are running the server version of Ubuntu.

woops, thought it was Server lol.

I had to install that on my 10.04 server to recognize the external usb its backing up to.

coffeecat
October 14th, 2011, 05:28 PM
woops, thought it was Server lol.

You might be right! :) The OP didn't specify.

larsbj
October 14th, 2011, 06:20 PM
You might be right! :) The OP didn't specify.

He he, well it's an GUI desktop, and not an server !. What I need is to mount a usb disc the same place when booting ( I know, i know, its silly, but the machine is member in a replicated gluster volume ). So here after the upgrade usbmount stopped doing it's usually stuff. Af boot with no login at all, i ssh'ed into it to see if it has mounted the disc, but it didn't. So I think i just remove usbmount, and take it into fstab.

sverfaillie
November 21st, 2011, 04:54 PM
I upgraded from to 11.10, and usbmount did not work anymore.
I've been looking into the usbmount script ( which can be found in /usr/share/usbmount) what was going wrong.
I guess it has to do with the recognition of the filesystem type ( in my case, the script recognised the filesystem type as 0x7 and not ntfs). To cut a long story short, I adapted the usbmount script in the following way : after line 90 there is a line that will retrieve the filesystem type, using the /sbin/blkid output :

FSTYPE=$(echo "$DEVINFO" | sed 's/.*TYPE="\([^"]*\)".*/\1/g; s/[[:blank:]]*//g;')

I added one space between * and TYPE :

FSTYPE=$(echo "$DEVINFO" | sed 's/.* TYPE="\([^"]*\)".*/\1/g; s/[[:blank:]]*//g;')

After that small change, usbmount did work again.
I guess it has to do with extra output generated by blkid ( did not have the time to check this).

Der Astronaut
November 26th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I upgraded from to 11.10, and usbmount did not work anymore.
I've been looking into the usbmount script ( which can be found in /usr/share/usbmount) what was going wrong.
I guess it has to do with the recognition of the filesystem type ( in my case, the script recognised the filesystem type as 0x7 and not ntfs). To cut a long story short, I adapted the usbmount script in the following way : after line 90 there is a line that will retrieve the filesystem type, using the /sbin/blkid output :

FSTYPE=$(echo "$DEVINFO" | sed 's/.*TYPE="\([^"]*\)".*/\1/g; s/[[:blank:]]*//g;')

I added one space between * and TYPE :

FSTYPE=$(echo "$DEVINFO" | sed 's/.* TYPE="\([^"]*\)".*/\1/g; s/[[:blank:]]*//g;')

After that small change, usbmount did work again.
I guess it has to do with extra output generated by blkid ( did not have the time to check this).

Big thanks!!! This works for me :)