PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Welcome newcomer, start with a stable version

WasMeHere
October 14th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums!

While discussing with a[nother] newcomer to Ubuntu a guy with lots of experience suggested to avoid the bleeding edge version of Ubuntu.

If you are running 11.** perhaps try something more stable and you might find many problems fixed. You may be interested in Ubuntu Studio http://ubuntustudio.org/.

I go for the long-term support releases, 10.04 LTS being the current one, which are designed for production machines - as yours seems to be - and servers.
I agree, and this is particularly true right now, the day after a new version was released. Let people with more experience find and fix the bugs! After a few months it will run much smoother.

Have fun finding out about Ubuntu :-)
Olle

mörgæs
October 14th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Agree. Another good idea is to begin with Xubuntu rather than Ubuntu.

3rdalbum
October 14th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Let people with more experience find and fix the bugs!

It's not like they worked on 11.10 in secret and then suddenly sprung it on the community today. Anyone is free to download a development version and report bugs. Anyone is even free to help fix bugs.

The "people with more experience" have been finding and fixing bugs for the past six months :-)

23dornot23d
October 14th, 2011, 12:35 PM
It is very good advice for newcomers to stick with there version until at least some of the bugs have been ironed out by more experienced users .....

Someone knowing how to use the command line can fix the bugs and give the developers more chance of adding proper fixes ..... saving a lot of misery for
those that may get stuck .......

Check my link below ,,,,, it gives a good idea of what is happening ...

Its only day 2 ....... the weekend is yet to come .... and many may decide to upgrade
my advice is - if you are unsure ...... just leave it for a while ........

or stick with something that is stable as said above

grahammechanical
October 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I have just been on askubuntu. I was stunned by one post. The person had upgraded from 11.04 using Ubuntu classic mode to 11.10 and now wanted to know were the top panel had gone and how was he/she to open programs without the three menus in the top left corner.

Why the rush to upgrade and to a system that you are not familiar with? I have been testing 11.10 since it was alpha 2 to make sure that it works as I want it to before I upgrade my working 11.04 Ubuntu.

Alternatively, wait a few weeks and browse the forums and see what other people think and what problems might happen.

Regards.

collisionystm
October 14th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I like to ride in guns blazing.

I fear no ubuntu system!

WasMeHere
October 14th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I like to ride in guns blazing.

I fear no ubuntu system!

Yeah, with more than 1 kibibean you have plenty of ammunition to shoot at all the bugs! But what about a newcomer with only a handful of beans ;-)

Olle

collisionystm
October 14th, 2011, 06:55 PM
For newcomers, LTS would be great if it carried the latest Kernel.

It really helps to have drivers that work and the kernel is the carrier!

WasMeHere
October 14th, 2011, 08:10 PM
So, collisionystm, you mean that for newcomers

- with new computers, drivers that work come with the latest kernel (now 11.10 oneiric) is best,
- with middle-aged or old computers, the LTS system (now 10.04 lucid) is best