PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No unity?

eliastoon
October 14th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Okay so my 11.10 upgrade went fine for my first use. Then I rebooted my computer. I can get past the login screen, but once the screen loads, I am missing the unity sidebar, and the right hand part of the global menu bar. I can see my desktop with all my files and can navigate around nautilus it seems, but I don't have the ability to do much else. Where is unity? I don't know all the correct terms for many of these things but I have no unity side bar, and on the top bar the only things displayed are File through Help. No other icons. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

rgezikov
October 14th, 2011, 08:00 AM
+1. I have the same problem. Previous version was 11.04.
I used recommendation from this page (http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/get-classic-start-menu-in-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot/) to install Gnome shell. I got some shell, looks little bit different from Gnome as I remember it, but allows to start other applications at least.

I found also that Google Chrome crashes immediately after start, but FireFox works.

rgezikov
October 14th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Btw, forgot to add: when you log in and see just Nautilus menu you can hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to logout. Then there is an option to start recovery console. That's not a solution, of course.

garvinrick4
October 14th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Open a terminal and: (ctrl/alt/t)

unity --reset

eliastoon
October 14th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Yeah already tried that. Nothing on unity --replace or unity --reset. Thanks though

eliastoon
October 14th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Okay so after awhile of messing around I think I have it. Up top you should still have the option to select go. Navigate to Go>File System>Usr>Applications>CCSM (Compiz Manager). Reselect Unity Plugin within there! Fixed mine.

RawwrBag
October 14th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Yup, unity --reset seems to be broken. From the recovery console it segfaulted but from my gimped X session it just hung forever. Is there a bug on this yet?

rgezikov
October 14th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I went to recovery console from login screen and typed 'unity --reset'.

First frame around console window appeared and then disappeared in couple of seconds. Then there was a kilometer of output to the window.

Then there were many error like:
"compiz (core) - Error: Could not load plugin '...'"

Now it hangs with last line 'Setting Update "run_key"'.

Any idea what to do now? Should I cancel this command?

rgezikov
October 14th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I tried the same after logging to Ubuntu shell that is supposed to be Unity. A result is the same.

Does anybody know what causes "compiz (core) - Error: Could not load plugin '...'" messages and how to fix that?

Btw, in Go I don't have File System. how can I start CCSM from command line?

LostOverThere
October 15th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I tried the same after logging to Ubuntu shell that is supposed to be Unity. A result is the same.

Does anybody know what causes "compiz (core) - Error: Could not load plugin '...'" messages and how to fix that?

Btw, in Go I don't have File System. how can I start CCSM from command line?
Control-Alt-T to start the terminal, and then simply type ccsm.