PDA

View Full Version : Netflix comes to Linux... in one year.

MonolithImmortal
October 14th, 2011, 06:25 AM
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/native-netflix-client-coming-linux-in-12-months/

Thewhistlingwind
October 14th, 2011, 02:46 PM
They say that every year.

forrestcupp
October 14th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Netflix is scheduled to come to Linux on the same day the Steam port and Gimp 2.8 are released. It's going to be an exciting day! :)

collisionystm
October 14th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Netflix is scheduled to come to Linux on the same day the Steam port and Gimp 2.8 are released. It's going to be an exciting day! :)

Any official word from STEAM that they are porting to linux on a specific date?

krapp
October 14th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Big Cable says no.

Ric_NYC
October 14th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I hope it comes to Linux before 12/12/2012..

:P

LowSky
October 14th, 2011, 06:02 PM
They say that every year.
LOL True.

Still waiting on Steam, Magic Jack, Blu-Ray support, Cablecard TV tuners, and a few other things that escape my mind.

BrokenKingpin
October 14th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I honestly don't believe it. I am sure it will happen eventually, but it won't be on top of their priority list.

y6FgBn)~v
October 14th, 2011, 06:47 PM
When you lose as many customers as they have recently, it only makes sense to start looking for new ones. Time will tell.

jerenept
October 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM

You know, there is one thing on that list you can actually directly contribute to...

earthpigg
October 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM
So, Verion 1.0 beta will be out just in time for Netflix to be bought out.

doorknob60
October 15th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Hey, if/when it comes out, then maybe I'd un-cancel my Netflix :) I cancelled after the whole price hike/Qwickster thing, but something like this might be enough to bring me back, if they get it done and do a good job of it.

ki4jgt
October 15th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I embrace the change and look forward to it.

SharkMonster
October 15th, 2011, 04:07 PM
2012 is going to be the Year of Linux on the Desktop.

forrestcupp
October 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM
You know, there is one thing on that list you can actually directly contribute to...

How did you know I'm an awesome programmer? ;)

Algus
October 15th, 2011, 07:55 PM
It'll be awesome if/when it does happen. Not being able to watch Netflix is one of the few downsides I can think of to running Ubuntu only on my laptop. I have a lot of media on the hard drive already to entertain me when I'm not at home though, so eh.

KiwiNZ
October 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM
2012 is going to be the Year of Linux on the Desktop.

I thought that was 2010, no 2006, no 2011. :p;)

forrestcupp
October 15th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I think the Hurd will become final before Netflix comes to Linux.

We can't talk about Duke Nukem Forever anymore, can we? I think that game was a lot more famous before it was released than afterward. Oh well, we'll always have the Hurd.

Lucradia
October 15th, 2011, 08:14 PM

At least Gimp 2.8 has a finite timeline >_> Unless they bumped it from this november to later.

Thewhistlingwind
October 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I think the Hurd will become final before Netflix comes to Linux.

We can't talk about Duke Nukem Forever anymore, can we? I think that game was a lot more famous before it was released than afterward. Oh well, we'll always have the Hurd.

The Hurd makes more sense on a Linux forum anyway.

It's "Not Released" status is what got Linus to start his "unprofessional hobby project".

donkyhotay
October 15th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Netflix, steam, WoW for linux aren't even vaporware they're wishware. We've all heard this these rumors so many times, I wouldn't believe it even if it was posted on the netflix/steam/blizzard website. I won't believe any of these will come for linux until the day *after* there is a working client available on the official website.

//edit: honestly this kind of stuff (almost) belongs in recurring discussions.

forrestcupp
October 15th, 2011, 10:18 PM
At least Gimp 2.8 has a finite timeline >_> Unless they bumped it from this november to later.

Yeah, but they even admit their timeline isn't concrete, but more a guideline. I think now it projects to some time in the middle to end of December. I'm sure it will get changed by then, though. :)

Lucradia
October 15th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Yeah, but they even admit their timeline isn't concrete, but more a guideline. I think now it projects to some time in the middle to end of December. I'm sure it will get changed by then, though. :)

December may also be when Lime odyssey comes out, maybe Wine will be able to run it easier than Aeria's other games >_>