PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What is a good reason to upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10?

sfyoung
October 14th, 2011, 05:03 AM
What is the most important reason to upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10? I am not interested in cosmetic changes.
What works better or is more secure with the new release?

Sewall

Dy1anW
October 14th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I was wondering this myself, and what sort of upgrade problems people are experiencing. I'm on 11.04 and am quite happy with Gnome 2, thanks, but not sure I like the sound of being forced to use Unity.

onaridge
October 14th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Me neither, I do not like Unity at all. But at least there is the fall back to Classic again. You won't be forced to use Unity but it is the default. I am also interested to see the advantages of the upgrade. Maybe the hardware issues will be solved for some laptops that cannot use the Droid Hotspot as their wireless connection.

uRock
October 14th, 2011, 05:55 AM
If you are happy with your system, then there is no reason to upgrade to a newer version before the end of life(EOL). You still have a year left to go before 11.04's EOL.

sfyoung
October 14th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Yeah. It looks like it might be more trouble than its worth. Count me as another person who is not impressed with Unity. It didn't display right on my netbook when I upgraded to 11.04. It was almost like it was trying to display on a screen with a different resolution. I was dead-in-the-water. The Classic desktop was fine when I found out how to select it.

mörgæs
October 14th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Two rules of thumb are to install every other release of Ubuntu and install a few months after the official release date.

KBD47
October 14th, 2011, 09:08 AM
What is the most important reason to upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10? I am not interested in cosmetic changes.
What works better or is more secure with the new release?

Sewall

I upgraded for two reasons: I wanted to see if Unity had improved, and I wanted to see if Gnome 3 fallback was as good or nearly so as Classic in Natty. 1. Unity is improved a bit. 2. Gnome 3 fallback is horrible compared to Natty in Gnome 2. If you like Classic desktop in Natty you are going to want to hold onto it as long as possible. If you like Unity in Natty it is a little better in 11.10 and might be worth moving up. Right now I'm dual-booting: Ubuntu 11.10 Unity and 11.10 Xubuntu. I personally think my main system is going to be Xubuntu as it comes closest to Gnome 2 and is more functional for me.
KBD47

FrancoisQueinnec
October 14th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Just upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 on my netbook : Shouldn't have !

Many problems : System Proxy not working, Unity is still quite tedious to use, new Gnome Shell's virtual desktops don't extend each others (was extremely convenient on a 1024*600 netbook when huge dialogs popped on screen (the 'down' virtual desktop would then show the bottom of the dialogs)...
Even just had a big freeze while trying to change virtual desktop (in Unity that time)...

so.. yeah.. don't .. wait .. a lot ! ;)

KFoder
October 14th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Hi

If you didn't like unity in 11.04 do NOT update to 11.10, unity has become more stable, but (in my opinion) less usable, and gnome 3 is even worse !

The update went fairly smooth, I had to disable universe and multiverse first though, otherwise I got a handful 404's, and I had to uninstall xfc before the update would run.

Kim