PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity is the only option now?

ricardisimo
October 14th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Really? I'm not seeing any "Classic" option as there was under 11.04. How do I apply just such a "classic" desktop.

I'm sorry, but <snip>

stinkeye
October 14th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I have a gnome classic session in a fresh 11.10 install.
I did install gnome-shell though.
So I'm not sure if it was there before the install.

mc4man
October 14th, 2011, 05:07 AM
removed - why bother

motrengaw
October 14th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Yes. Unity is <snip>. Gnome 3 desktop is available in the repositories, but not entirely backwards compatible w/ Gnome 2.

Try 'sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback'

Then restart and select 'Gnome Classic' in the pulldown from the gear icon on the login post. Worked for me, though I lost my taskbar customizations from 11.4

robert shearer
October 14th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Here is the pictures version for the text-challenged:D
http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/08/return-to-ubuntu-classic-desktop-in-ubuntu-11-10/

@motrengaw... taskbar customizations You have to alt+right click on the panels to customise.

ricardisimo
October 14th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Thank you all. Will do this tomorrow first thing.

ricardisimo
October 14th, 2011, 06:24 AM
A couple of questions:

Why is there no "Wine" grouping of launchers? You know, any and all of the programs I may have installed via wine. Unity doesn't do wine, perhaps?

Secondly, I did an upgrade, not a fresh install. Why was my classic desktop removed? Don't get me wrong... <snip> But still, you'd think I wouldn't have to make this same decision for myself over and over again.

Dear Ubuntu: I have chosen against Unity twice now (multiplied by the number of computers I own). Please don't make me do it yet again.

ricardisimo
October 14th, 2011, 06:51 AM
And now a third question: We can't add launchers to our panels any longer??

<snip>

robert shearer
October 14th, 2011, 06:59 AM

In Classic.....
You have to alt+right click on the panels to customise.

Post 5 this thread.;)

kurt18947
October 14th, 2011, 07:10 AM

<snip>

In both Unity and Gnome-shell, you add launchers to the bar on the left as favorites. When an app is open, I tap the "super" or windows key which makes the bar visible, right click the app's icon on the bar and "add to favorites" or words to that effect. You can also put a launcher on the desktop in Gnome-shell, I haven't tried in Unity. In Gnome-shell, search for the app you want. Once the app's icon is visible, drag it to the desktop and viola, launcher on the desktop. There is also a way to add an alternative apps menu to the top of Gnome-shell similar to the "applications" menu in GTK2.

ricardisimo
October 14th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Unity: <snip>

coffeecat
October 14th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Closed for staff review.

coffeecat
October 14th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Posts have been jailed; others edited. Warnings have been given. It should be possible to ask for and give technical support without all the antagonistic comments.

Let us be clear. Anyone is entitled to dislike the Unity desktop. Anyone is entitled to express their dissatisfaction with it or provide criticism, so long as this is constructive. However, comments such as "Unity is <insert derogatory term here>" and/or repetitive carping about Unity, particularly in support forums, is considered trolling and will be dealt with as such.

The definition of trolling is quite straightforward in this situation and is covered in the forum Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy):

Trolling is posting in a way that provokes emotional responses.
Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome.

Debate about the relative merits of desktop environments, so long as it respects the CoC, should be confined to the non-support areas of the forum. Disrespectful sniping at any feature of any operating system in the technical support categories is corrosive and will not be tolerated.

My sincere thanks to those members who posted in a dignified way. And now...

Thread re-opened.

banjo man
October 14th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Personally I understand the complaints. Something we get for free changed, and we hate it now. If I want to use the classic gnome ubuntu desktop I now have to take one more step. At first I wasn't very into unity, but it grew on me. One of the things I loved about Windows was hitting the "Super Key" and searching for a file or program. Unity makes this a default feature. Ubuntu seems to be taking a new path, making new progress in desktop environments. I've used the default gnome desktop for ubuntu since I started learning linux with dapper, and I think unity has already replaced it as my favorite.

Things I have learned about solving problems in ubuntu (or other linux communities)

Be nice, people are there to help.
It's free, and so is the support (mostly).
Ask for help to solve a problem, don't complain for the sake of complaining.

You can do anything you want. Google it, someone has probably already found it and done it. Don't like unity? Don't want to take the time to fix your issue? Don't use ubuntu. There are many other ubuntu related and non ubuntu related linux ditros.

Good Luck!

-Banjo

scottbomb
October 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I use xfce and before I install 11.10, I'm wondering if I'll be able to keep my toolbar at the bottom of the screen like I have it now as I will not be using Unity. Anyone have any experience with this on 11.10? I'm also curious about whatever classic version of gnome is available, if the toolbar can be put at the bottom of the screen where it belongs ;)

erfasca
October 14th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I just want to know how to select another window manager from the login screen. Many other distros have a complete, rather comprehensive list of pretty much every window manager you have installed in a drop down box available. This drop down/up can be placed on an easily accessible bar on the top or bottom of the screen. The drop down should include every window manager, that is installed, including twm, fvwm, KDE, XFCE, IceWM, etc.

My own personal view of Unity is that it is totally unuseable for me. I don't think its just me, i think it's most users are finding this thing pretty much a pain to use. In my view its a mistake, but, what makes it even worse is that it is being forced on people and there is no way to avoid it, no way to select KDE or XFCE or some other sane WM. Ive seen users pretty much perplexed and lost in unity, its unuseable especially for the average users. The pop-up scrollbar idea was also causing immense confusion, many users had to ask me what was going on, they couldn't figure it out, i disabled the thing for them, they really disliked it.

Some things just cannot be improved on, when you reach something that that is just practical and easy for people to use, changing it for the sake of novelty makes it worse. The start menu was practical, and the heirarchical categorised nature of it allowed people to easily find what they were looking for. Firefox is under internet.

The problem we seem to have is that Ubuntu developers are obsessed with novelty rather than listening to users and useability. The start menu and task bar is far more useable than Unity. Menu bars for applications belong inside the application windows as well. I never like Mac OS and I really dislike how you are trying to bring these really bad Mac OS ideas, which are focused more on fad than useability, here.

Listen to users. ANd stop trying to suppress people who are trying to voice their frustrations.

Give people a choice, not everyone is the same but you are trying to force your preferences on everyone, including people who dont want this. If you like this unity, fine. But just let us easily switch to our environment of choice.

The worst thing about this fiasco is that you have made it much more difficult to opt out of unity and use gnome or KDE instead.

erfasca
October 14th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I use xfce and before I install 11.10, I'm wondering if I'll be able to keep my toolbar at the bottom of the screen like I have it now as I will not be using Unity. Anyone have any experience with this on 11.10? I'm also curious about whatever classic version of gnome is available, if the toolbar can be put at the bottom of the screen where it belongs ;)

The really problem here is that you cannot easily choose to use XFCE and that the Ubuntu people are trying to force their preferences on everyone and take away peoples freedom. Why? Ubuntu is getting worse and I think really, people are rightfully fed up with the attitude we are getting from these people

goldshirt9
October 14th, 2011, 05:30 PM
a very heated debate :(

at the moment it is the ubuntu way.

but who knows in a few more releases what the Ubuntu team will choose.

coffeecat
October 14th, 2011, 05:37 PM
:sigh:

Debate about the relative merits of desktop environments, so long as it respects the CoC, should be confined to the non-support areas of the forum.

I am closing this thread again, and this time it stays closed. If anyone needs technical support about any issue raised in this thread, then please start your own support thread, but without unnecessary rants and details. Debates belong in the Community Cafe.

@OP, I think your original question has been answered, but if you do need any further help I suggest you start a fresh thread. this one has been irretrievably derailed.

Thread closed.