PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GRUB problems in dual-boot

nitrogen15
October 14th, 2011, 02:13 AM
I just installed Ubuntu 11.10 alongside my already existing Win7 install. When I boot up it goes straight to Windows instead of GRUB. How do I fix this so that GRUB is used instead of the Windows bootloader?

rekima
October 14th, 2011, 02:39 AM
I am experiencing the same problem.

02darkRS
October 14th, 2011, 02:54 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

more experienced users can/will chime in but this worked for me. i restarted into liveCD session & used 2nd option.

nitrogen15
October 14th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the link. It worked for me. I used option 1, and installed the app on a live USB key. Then I just ran the app and hit the "recommended repair" button.

Now that I have GRUB working, though, my Ubuntu install has what appears to be a graphical glitch. Even though 11.10 works great on my live-usb and looked fine during the install, when I try to boot to Ubuntu I just get a blank orange screen and it stops responding. I'm using an ATI 6850 card.

02darkRS
October 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Don't know anything about that. from what I've seen in the weeks I've been here I would suggest you start a new thread for that speficic problem. There is a sticky regarding a blank screen & graphical errors after upgrade. Did you check for drivers? My card had a new driver that needed installed.