PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Not able to update?

cbennett a7xftw
October 14th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Well, I am trying to update from 11.04 to 11.10 but i get this error:

W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release amd64 (20101007)/dists/maverick/Release Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-i386/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

What do i do??

jermaine151
October 14th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Well, I am trying to update from 11.04 to 11.10 but i get this error:

W:Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 10.10 _Maverick Meerkat_ - Release amd64 (20101007)/dists/maverick/Release Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-i386/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
, E:Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

What do i do??

I have the exact same issue. I keep going into my software sources and removing the cdrom entry and I also unchecked the Ubuntu cd under Ubuntu Software tab and it's still happening.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 14th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Open update manager and click on the settings button. In the Software Sources window, go to the "Ubuntu Software" tab. Near the bottom, untick the CDROM box. Close that window, click on "check" and you should be OK.

jermaine151
October 14th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Open update manager and click on the settings button. In the Software Sources window, go to the "Ubuntu Software" tab. Near the bottom, untick the CDROM box. Close that window, click on "check" and you should be OK.

I tried that first :( and it failed and then I went to "Other Software" tab and saw 2 [cdrom:" entries in there, removed them and I still get the same issue.

EDIT: I should add that I'm trying to upgrade using the Alternate ISO mounted as a loop device to /media/cdrom.

EDIT 2: I never hit the check button after doing it, until I actually read your instructions better. It seems to be upgrading now. Thank you very much!

cbennett a7xftw
October 14th, 2011, 02:48 AM
I tried that first :( and it failed and then I went to "Other Software" tab and saw 2 [cdrom:" entries in there, removed them and I still get the same issue.

EDIT: I should add that I'm trying to upgrade using the Alternate ISO mounted as a loop device to /media/cdrom.

EDIT 2: I never hit the check button after doing it, until I actually read your instructions better. It seems to be upgrading now. Thank you very much! LOL same thing