PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu upgrade from AMD64 CD

sansa dude
October 14th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Hi,

I have a limited internet connection at home so while I was at school I was able to download the latest ubuntu release (11.10) to upgrade my current system (11.04). this is a desktop so I can't do the upgrade at school.

I have the regular Ubuntu AMD64 disk (not the alternate) is there a way for me to easily upgrade using the disk and not my internet connection without downloading another alternate disk from the internet?

zvacet
October 14th, 2011, 01:27 AM
If I remember correctly from last version desktop edition have option to upgrade,so you will not need alternate CD.Try with desktop CD and if you donīt see option to upgrade download alternate cd.

cabotcat
October 14th, 2011, 01:31 AM
This is correct. Your CD will offer the option to upgrade only. Only thing you will lose without internet are any updates since the release.

Give it a whirl. Mine upgraded today without a hitch. A couple of tweaks and /or resolutions are needed for minor problems but I am loving 11.10 so far.

:)

sansa dude
October 14th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Great thanks, i'll give it a try tonight. its mostly my settings and programs I want to keep, files I don't really care so much for. Thanks again :)

sansa dude
October 14th, 2011, 02:12 AM
hmm well this is interesting. The upgrade option is visible, but I can't select it for some reason.

the only options I can select are:
Install alongside ubuntu 11.04
Erase 11.04 and reinstall
Something else.

any suggestions?