PDA

View Full Version : Multimonitors: i can have launchers and panels, or xinerama, but not both.

mothergoose729
October 13th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I use a multimonitor setup and I use the Ubuntu classic theme. I want to have a separate panels, launchers, and task bars for each of my monitors so I can take advantage of my multitasking. If I have xinerama enabled I can drag and drop windows between monitors, but I only get a ubuntu panel and task manager on my main display. If I disable xinerama I get two sets of panels and task managers, but I can't drag windows between my two monitors. Also, for whatever reason, it won't let me have two separate windows, one on each monitor, for the same application. I can't have two windows of my web browser or two instances of libre office on each monitor, for example.

I wouldn't mind downloading third party docks and other UI bits if I have need to. i would much prefer to have the exact same UI, launcher, and task manager setup for each monitor however, I am a big fan of ubuntu classic theme and setup. Is there a way to do this with ubuntu? if not, is there a simple and nonflashy UI software that will give me the same functionality? Thanks for any help.