PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 adds independent volume control for devices -- how to disable?

mkowske
October 13th, 2011, 10:01 PM
This new feature is just forcing me to go into alsamixer every time I plug my headphones in to adjust the volume. It isn't working right. My headphones are barely audible unless I go into alsamixer and crank up the Speaker volume. This setting isn't saved... have to do it every time.

DungFu
October 14th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I have the exact same problem on Vaio VGN-Z690 and can't figure out how to fix it. This issue did not exist in 11.04 and I only began to see it in the betas of oneiric. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this issue as not being able to use headphones is quite a pain.

smoothshifter
November 8th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I just noticed this too. The problem seems to be that the sound control, controls more than just the master as you can see in alsamixer while sliding the volume on the panel. I too, am looking for a way to disable this. I implemented shortcuts for amixer commands to control volume on my keyboard and disabled the default ones. Now the main sound control still mutes, but doesn't unmute, though alsamixer does control the mute function properly for Master only. I would like to disable the panel sound control too, if possible, or at least have it control Master volume only.