PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded to 11.10 - No more raw thumbnails

Amon_Re
October 13th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I just upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 and I noticed that I no longer have thumbnails in Nautilus. Anyone know how to solve this (minor) issue?

OzzyFrank
October 15th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Yeah, if you mean no picture preview thumbnails after the upgrade, same here. I actually have previews for vids, and the odd picture file scattered here and there, but in folders full of images, all I get is a generic JPG icon. And what's worse, when using Image Viewer and I hit F9 to show the Image Gallery at the bottom, instead of the previews I'm used to, all I get are the dark squares with red circle with a line through it like if a picture is corrupt, but these are all fine. Any ideas guys??

Meghnaad
October 17th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I had a fresh Install of 11.10
Most of the image file preview is available but no support for CR2 or NEF Images ! :confused:

scpatl4now
October 17th, 2011, 06:17 PM
When I try to select images for use in other programs there is no preview either...which really is a problem when you have over 1000 images you are working with...hope there is a fix for this

Meghnaad
October 17th, 2011, 06:27 PM
i can see Image previews with RawTherapee,
but unable to see preview in Nautilus !

searchfgold6789
October 17th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I'm a KDE user and having exactly the same problem in Dolphin, the default file manager for KDE.

adotei
October 17th, 2011, 08:57 PM
From a previous post. Worked for me. Hope it works for you.

1. Open file manager.
2. Edit->Preferences->Preview. Change preferences as required.
3. Close file manager and open terminal.

4. Run the following command to install the necessary packages.

$ sudo apt-get install ffmpeg ffmpegthumbnailer gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

5. Remove old thumbnails.

$ rm ~/.thumbnails/fail/gnome-thumbnail-factory/*
$ rm ~/.thumbnails/normal/*

6. Open the file manager and enjoy your new thumbnails!

Meghnaad
October 18th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Still no preview for NEF or CR2 Files,
gnome sushi gives a preview but not Nautilus

dFlyer
October 18th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Here is the link to the bug report.

https://launchpad.net/bugs/852923

Maybe the more personal who file there will speed up a fix. I don't have thumbnails for sony arw or canon cr2.

scpatl4now
October 19th, 2011, 05:06 AM
From a previous post. Worked for me. Hope it works for you.

1. Open file manager.
2. Edit->Preferences->Preview. Change preferences as required.
3. Close file manager and open terminal.

4. Run the following command to install the necessary packages.

5. Remove old thumbnails.

6. Open the file manager and enjoy your new thumbnails!

Unfortunately, this did not work for me

obZen
October 20th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Hello
I fixed it changing in /usr/share/thumbnailers/raw.thumbnailer the %i for %u

The result:
[Thumbnailer Entry]
Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-raw-thumbnailer -s %s %u %o
MimeType=image/x-3fr;image/x-adobe-dng;image/x-arw;image/x-bay;image/x-canon-cr2;image/x-canon-crw;image/x-cap;image/x-cr2;image/x-crw;image/x-dcr;image/x-dcraw;image/x-dcs;image/x-dng;image/x-drf;image/x-eip;image/x-erf;image/x-fff;image/x-fuji-raf;image/x-iiq;image/x-k25;image/x-kdc;image/x-mef;image/x-minolta-mrw;image/x-mos;image/x-mrw;image/x-nef;image/x-nikon-nef;image/x-nrw;image/x-olympus-orf;image/x-orf;image/x-panasonic-raw;image/x-pef;image/x-pentax-pef;image/x-ptx;image/x-pxn;image/x-r3d;image/x-raf;image/x-raw;image/x-rw2;image/x-rwl;image/x-rwz;image/x-sigma-x3f;image/x-sony-arw;image/x-sony-sr2;image/x-sony-srf;image/x-sr2;image/x-srf;image/x-x3f;

dFlyer
October 20th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Hello
I fixed it changing in /usr/share/thumbnailers/raw.thumbnailer the %i for %u

The result:
[Thumbnailer Entry]
Exec=/usr/bin/gnome-raw-thumbnailer -s %s %u %o
MimeType=image/x-3fr;image/x-adobe-dng;image/x-arw;image/x-bay;image/x-canon-cr2;image/x-canon-crw;image/x-cap;image/x-cr2;image/x-crw;image/x-dcr;image/x-dcraw;image/x-dcs;image/x-dng;image/x-drf;image/x-eip;image/x-erf;image/x-fff;image/x-fuji-raf;image/x-iiq;image/x-k25;image/x-kdc;image/x-mef;image/x-minolta-mrw;image/x-mos;image/x-mrw;image/x-nef;image/x-nikon-nef;image/x-nrw;image/x-olympus-orf;image/x-orf;image/x-panasonic-raw;image/x-pef;image/x-pentax-pef;image/x-ptx;image/x-pxn;image/x-r3d;image/x-raf;image/x-raw;image/x-rw2;image/x-rwl;image/x-rwz;image/x-sigma-x3f;image/x-sony-arw;image/x-sony-sr2;image/x-sony-srf;image/x-sr2;image/x-srf;image/x-x3f;

Thanks, that fixed, I didn't the raw.thumbnailer file in /usr/share/thumbnailers so just created the file and now it all works. I will paste this fix under the bug report so other finding the bug report can fix it.

Meghnaad
October 21st, 2011, 03:30 PM
Worked for me too !
Thanks !:popcorn:

awaldram
October 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
If you wish to use ufraw thumbnailer (active development supports modern cameras)

replace the exec= line with

exec=/usr/bin/ufraw-batch --embedded-image --out-type=png --size=%s %u --overwrite --silent --output=%o

Oh insure you have ufraw,ufraw-batch installed :)

sarang
February 27th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I have been using the following custom script to create raw thumbnails. It overlays text indicating the raw file type (ORF / NEF / CR2 etc.) over the thumbnail image so as to make it easy to distinguish between a jpeg image and a raw image. Particularly useful when shooting in raw + jpg mode, where one gets two identical thumbnails (one for raw and one for jpg) and distinguishing between them requires careful inspection of the extension. This script eliminates the need for such careful inspection.
The following script is located at /home/sarang/bin/my-raw-thumbnailer/my-raw-thumbnailer.bash

#!/bin/bash
# usage: my-raw-thumbnailer size inputfilename outputfilename

set -e

SIZE="$1";
INPUT="$2";
OUTPUT="$3";
RAW_STAMP="$(echo "$INPUT" | sed 's/.*\.//')";
RAW_STAMP=" ${RAW_STAMP^^} ";

ufraw-batch --embedded-image --out-type=png --size="$SIZE" "$INPUT" --overwrite --silent --output=-| convert - -fill white -undercolor black -gravity SouthWest -pointsize 16 -font '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-droid/DroidSans-Bold.ttf' -annotate +0+0 "${RAW_STAMP}" "$OUTPUT"

unset SIZE INPUT OUTPUT RAW_STAMP

exit 0

Also, /usr/share/thumbnailers/raw.thumbnailer has:

[Thumbnailer Entry]
Exec=/home/sarang/bin/my-raw-thumbnailer/my-raw-thumbnailer.bash %s %u %o

Sample output is attached.

Lubelaczek
June 20th, 2012, 01:11 PM
What about 12.04? I had no luck with this method. After creating raw.thumbnailer as described above still have no thumbnails for Canon's cr2. Anybody had success with this on "Precise"?

torlud
February 4th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Using 12.04

Installed gnome-raw-thumbnailer, created raw.thumbnailer as in #11, then

rm ~/.thumbnails/normal/*

then succeded displaying .cr2 thumbnails. Thanks!