PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu's tablet - desktop discrepency

sidewalkcynic
October 13th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Why, oh why, do they call it a "desktop," when clearly the operating system is designed for tablets?

At least, with 11.04, the user could log out and select 'Ubuntu Classic,' but that doesn't seem to be the case with 11.10.

So, how do I get Ubuntu "Classic" desktop?

No Synaptic package manager??? I have to download it too!!!

Somebody, tell the developers to give us a choice between desktop and tablet versions.

crdlb
October 13th, 2011, 09:55 PM
You can get something similar to gnome 2 by installing gnome-session-fallback and gnome-tweak-tool. Choose the fallback/classic session at the login screen (I forget what it's named). Hold Alt to modify the panels, and run gnome-tweak-tool to tweak the appearance settings.

P.S. I don't understand how having to install synaptic is a big deal.

sidewalkcynic
October 13th, 2011, 09:59 PM
thanks for the fix

Synaptic is a lot easier in that I can select a long list of apps and then download and install in one instance, where as this software center does it one app at a time.

Installing Synaptic is a big deal, because it means I have to do more work, and there is one thing that I can't stand, and that is doing work!

And waiting - I had to wait at least 3 minutes for Synaptic to d/l and install - I've got things to be a doing and standing around waiting for downloads and installs is not what I expect from the computer age.

sidewalkcynic
October 13th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I cannot find the controls for the Gnome panels.

And I guess, I am going to have to download themes, because the Appearances app is all degenerated into WINDOWs.

I'm D/L Xfce and LDXE - maybe they will suit me better.

Musmanno
October 13th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Get rid of Unity. Gnome 3 / Gnome Shell works just fine as a desktop OS. It's grown on me quite a bit in fact.

crdlb
October 13th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I cannot find the controls for the Gnome panels.

And I guess, I am going to have to download themes, because the Appearances app is all degenerated into WINDOWs.

"Hold Alt to modify the panels, and run gnome-tweak-tool to tweak the appearance settings." There aren't very many Gtk3 themes yet since it has a completely new theming system.

sidewalkcynic
October 13th, 2011, 11:43 PM
The LXDE desktop appears to be the simplest solution - thanks