PDA

View Full Version : What you would like to see, changed or fixed in Precise Pangolin ?

Pages : [1] 2

madjr
October 13th, 2011, 07:55 PM
First this will be an LTS, so i would like to see polish and as many old reported bugs solved as possible (many have just sitting there for months with little to no attention even if they are affecting many users). As for features i would like to see new ones that help accessibility and make ubuntu better (nothing too drastic of course).

Minor features would like to see:

-Gnome Sushi (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/install-sushi-file-previewer-in-ubuntu.html) integration (or sushi / kde style quick previews) in the Dash (files and music lens)

-Tooltips (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/873759) for the applications and maybe files lens (description, rating, more info, etc.)

-messaging menu better accessibility for new users.

Some bugs would like to see Fixed:

-Global menu is not ergonomical on large screens (https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/682788)

-User Documentation should be easier to access (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/860501)

-Upgrading packaged Ubuntu application unreasonably involves upgrading entire OS (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/software-center/+bug/578045)

-Old compiz / stability bugs.

-Most Bad upgrade problems should be solved (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/876146)!

What are yours?

kaldor
October 13th, 2011, 08:33 PM
UI Related:

Follow Fitt's Law. The edge-reveal of the Unity launcher is a huge flaw, and it gets in my way more than it should. If this behavior is intended to stay, then at least let me close a window by throwing the cursor to the corner. I don't want to aim when it's unneeded.

I want the ability to move the launcher. It really gets in my way when it decides to pop up when I press something such as the Back button in Firefox.

Lenses need much refinement.

Exposé-like feature by default.

A simple, non-ccsm program for configuring Unity. It's amazing that we actually need to use CCSM to change basic behaviour still.

Stop hiding the bloody appmenu.

Other:

Use only the most stable proprietary drivers possible. My Northern Islands AMD card doesn't like 11.8 or 11.9 very much. If I install an LTS, I expect stable defaults. PPAs don't count.

gnomeuser
October 13th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I would like the damn thing to be installable on my Mac Mini 2011 (the 5.2 model with the Radeon chip in it). Something no currecnt distro manages.

Secondly I would like there to be 3D acceleration (I got that Radeon chip because AMD are our friends and code a lot of nice driver goodness yet it does not work). This is likely done to stupidity and hybrid graphics.

Thirdly for there to be available on the site a blessed GNOME3 version of Ubuntu sans lightdm and thunderbird. Branded to match upstream GNOME3 from grub to shutdown.

Followed by that, I would love to see a pledge to support PackageKit and Systemd in P+1.

Rubykuby
October 13th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I would like to see everything pre-login screen addressed. On most PCs I've installed Ubuntu, the things that I know are supposed to show don't actually show or are filled with bugs. I know this is minor, but if this can be addressed, I'd be glad.

PaulInBHC
October 13th, 2011, 09:05 PM
+1 for tooltips.

MadCow108
October 13th, 2011, 09:18 PM
a working debdelta-upgrade ._.
its working fine in debian since ages. I don't get why it takes so long to offer this in ubuntu.

Jack Brown
October 13th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Continue to Have:

- working applications in repositories
- CPU / motherboard/video temperature indicator (was easily added to panel in lucid and maverick)
- also CPU load/frequency indicator
- easily find apps by typing a part of their name (which unity gave us by default, and simpler version was also present in ALT+F2 in older releases. also from add-ons.)

Plus
Streamlined (less sluggish unity):
- show app results more quickly, without overloading the hardware.

details:
maybe if the programs/apps selection in unity, after typing a part of the name, does not take up the whole screen (using transparency) it will be less sluggish on less powerful / older hardware (that is still above the minimum requirements), -( i have still to try recent versions of unity2d.) or is it indexing the list that's the problem? (just guessing here)

again, as-you-type results can be quicker. (e.g. win 7 on the same machine). Unity's applications selection does look better though, except for performance.

Firefox got its as-you-type find tool right (from the first stable release too.)
(just citing a slightly similar example of as-you-type listing)

- after typing the program name in the launcher, should be able to get to the program / file icons using keyboard (i.e. tab) or is it done using the down arrow now... have to try most recent version of unity again.

Have a good day!

zacktu
October 13th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I found a way to use the Dash effectively in 11.04 and lost it in 11.10. In 11.04 I could use the mouse to click on the Dash. At that point I could move from mouse to keyboard and type a few characters of the program name, and all the programs with those characters in their name would appear. For example, typing "ed" brought up Text Editor, GIMP Image Editor, Configuration Editor, and more. I could use the tab key to move across the program names until I had selected the program that I wanted. Then I could press the enter key and start the program. Note that after my hands were on the keyboard they didn't leave it until the program had been started -- for a touch typist that was fast. I thought this feature represented good user interface design.

That feature is gone now. The tab key selects lenses, and I can't find any way to select a program without having my hand go back to the mouse. That is slower than before.

MARP1961
October 13th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Drop the Unity desktop experience and use Gnome Shell as default Ubuntu desktop.

madjr
October 13th, 2011, 09:49 PM
details:
maybe if the programs/apps selection in unity, after typing a part of the name, does not take up the whole screen (using transparency) it will be less sluggish on less powerful / older hardware (that is still above the minimum requirements), -( i have still to try recent versions of unity2d.) or is it indexing the list that's the problem? (just guessing here)

- after typing the program name in the launcher, should be able to get to the program / file icons using keyboard (i.e. tab) or is it done using the down arrow now... have to try most recent version of unity again.

Have a good day!

unity 2d is pretty nice right now maybe you should try it.

madjr
October 13th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Drop the Unity desktop experience and use Gnome Shell as default Ubuntu desktop.

hehe, i think they would add that to the "wishful thinking" bugs :p

anyway i myself still find unity more usable than gnome shell out of the box.

but glad to see GS easily installable for those that prefer it.

Sworddragon
October 13th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I hope that on a guided partition the swap partition will be the first partition instead the last. This would enhance the performance on mechanical hard disk drives greatly.

madjr
October 13th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I found a way to use the Dash effectively in 11.04 and lost it in 11.10. In 11.04 I could use the mouse to click on the Dash. At that point I could move from mouse to keyboard and type a few characters of the program name, and all the programs with those characters in their name would appear. For example, typing "ed" brought up Text Editor, GIMP Image Editor, Configuration Editor, and more. I could use the tab key to move across the program names until I had selected the program that I wanted. Then I could press the enter key and start the program. Note that after my hands were on the keyboard they didn't leave it until the program had been started -- for a touch typist that was fast. I thought this feature represented good user interface design.

That feature is gone now. The tab key selects lenses, and I can't find any way to select a program without having my hand go back to the mouse. That is slower than before.

many good keyboard shortcuts for that:
http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/10/15-things-i-did-after-installing-new.html

madjr
October 13th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I hope that on a guided partitioning the swap partition will be the first partition instead the last. This would enhance the performance on mechanical hard disk drives greatly.

is that true?

why not report this? increasing performance is always priority.

Derek Karpinski
October 13th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Resume from Suspend/Hibernate.

Luffield
October 13th, 2011, 10:01 PM
zacktu, if you type "ed" and then press the down arrow twice you'll get to the list of applications.
You might also want to try Gnome-Do or Synapse, two applications that allow you to do very similar things with the keyboard but are quicker and more flexible (although I didn't try them with 11.10).

Sworddragon
October 13th, 2011, 10:01 PM
is that true?

why not report this? increasing performance is always priority.

I have already reported this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/821728

The speed should increase ~33% (maybe a little more or less dependend on the disk) if the swap is at the beginning of the disk.

alphacrucis2
October 13th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I would like to see support for drawers in the unity launcher.

alphacrucis2
October 13th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Resume from Suspend/Hibernate.

That already works for me. I guess it doesn't work for all hardware and is therefore a bug rather than a missing feature.

madjr
October 13th, 2011, 10:13 PM

The speed should increase ~33% (maybe a little more or less dependend on the disk) if the swap is at the beginning of the disk.

nice, i added myself to the bug.

Just the title could be more descriptive. Could you rephrase the title a bit so that people know that this is to increase performance, so that it grabs better their attention.

Sworddragon
October 13th, 2011, 10:21 PM
nice, i added myself to the bug.

Just the title could be more descriptive. Could you rephrase the title a bit so that people know that this is to increase performance, so that it grabs better their attention.

I hope the new title is now descriptive enough. The report was now set automatically to confirmed. Let's hope that this will speed up the handling of the ticket :)

MacUntu
October 13th, 2011, 10:31 PM
A bug-fix-only cycle for Unity and Compiz (maybe focus on multi-monitor setups).

A unified Unity/Unity 2D settings module in the control center.

Remove the Dash's "Apps Available for Download" - I don't care about random application names. That's not how anybody installs software.

Gnome-tweak-tool by default. Maybe not in its current incarnation, maybe an alternative, who knows. Do you know how many answers at Ask Ubuntu start with "Install dconf-tools/compizconfig-settings-manager/gnome-tweak-tool"?

Review boot time.

Review RAM usage.

Get rid of the CD size limitation (hehe).

Spit and polish.

MadCow108
October 13th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I hope that on a guided partition the swap partition will be the first partition instead the last. This would enhance the performance on mechanical hard disk drives greatly.

why would you want to waste precious fast harddisk spce for something useless as swap :O
if your machine ever really uses swap your machine comes to a halt, no matter if you have 30% more throughput (and same latency), just buy more ram.

Sworddragon
October 13th, 2011, 11:00 PM
why would you want to waste precious fast harddisk spce for something useless as swap :O
if your machine ever really uses swap your machine comes to a halt, no matter if you have 30% more throughput (and same latency), just buy more ram.

Read and write actions can be done faster so the system will react earlier. Currently my system is using 1432 MB of memory (no cache) and 75888k are swapped (and this on vm.swappiness=0). I have 4 GB of memory and am reaching this limit very fast on my 64 bit system. For example Minecraft is using ~2+ GB of memory after some time. Don't forget the core processes of the system and if Firefox is active on the same time the 4 GB are nearly empty.

MacUntu
October 13th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Yes, swap should be as fast as possible, but certainly not at the cost of putting system files at a worse position on-disk. :-o If you constantly need swap, then you have not enough RAM.

mc4man
October 13th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Remove the Dash's "Apps Available for Download" - I don't care about random application names. That's not how anybody installs software.

I remember once there was this deal once about a 'recently installed' section - rather see that then the available section if they're keen on keeping 3 sections

Gnome-tweak-tool by default. Maybe not in its current incarnation, maybe an alternative, who knows. Do you know how many answers at Ask Ubuntu start with "Install dconf-tools/compizconfig-settings-manager/gnome-tweak-tool"?

As of yet haven't seen any movement to even include a unity config tool, are there any plans there?
Am also curious to see if any of the current unity 'experimental' options lose that status

MadCow108
October 13th, 2011, 11:06 PM
1432 MB of memory (no cache) and 75888k are swapped
see something in those numbers?
its 1432 vs 70! and those 70 are just some unused pages placed in swap by the kernel to do ram maintenance, having these on faster disks will not change anything.

if you run out of ram you're screwed and have to kill the processes that waste it.
having slightly higher throughput will not change anything.
Even a system with swap on an ssd which beat spinning in every performance respect will be unusable when its swapping.
Also what is important for memory is latency not throughput, something that is not as strongly improved by position on the disk.

swap nowadays exists to hibernate and to retain high uptime under high load for servers (which can get slow but should never crash) and (mostly scientific) applications needing terabytes of virtual memory.

Sworddragon
October 13th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Yes, swap should be as fast as possible, but certainly not at the cost of putting system files at a worse position on-disk. :-o

The first ~20%-25% of the disk have the maximum speed. Even if you have only a 100 GB disk the first 20 GB will have the maximum speed. The swap on a guided partition is just a few GB big (I think it depends on the amount of RAM). In this case the system files will still have the maximum speed.

There will be rare cases of little slowdowns (the files after the swap are only moved to a little less slower place) but there will be much more cases of heavy performance improvements.

ventrical
October 13th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Definitely fix any bugs with the Hardware Jockey . This is probably the biggest bug that has run through Ubuntu through the past several releases. Thankfully for me I have the computing capacity to handle most newer innovations , but a lot of others do not and I think Ubuntu should stick with it's spirit of including all (if possible). I mean .. if they are going to have a fall-back shell then at least have an interesting one and not something that is blaise. That would be a real challange.

effenberg0x0
October 13th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I spent a couple hours on the "General Help" forum now. I answered posts till I had to stop and smoke an entire pack. Many users ARE having problems with broken / frozen installs that lead to "No OS" BIOS messages or no possible boot on grub. They have systems stuck in purple screens (plymouth + no/wrong video setup), can't login to lightdm (wrong user session env vars, ~/.Xauthority, among others), login to desktop with no launcher/dash (unity/compiz common failure).

Looking at my stats, I see that I answered more than 60 posts like this in one afternoon :(

Trying to help them, I realized that they can't use the terminal, switch to a VT, cut/paste the commands I wrote, answer what VGA they have, perform sequences of commands as advised to, they can't install the correct VGA drivers and its impossible for them to perform adjustments (env vars, settings in ccsm, etc) to work around VGA bugs, etc.

How many times were these things reported? I know developers are not gods, of course. But I still feel like my dream would that the many brains behind development focused less on interface and more on fixing these age-old bugs / making the OS truly easy to install and use, bulletproof.

I really like Unity, but today, for the first time, I feel like it was too big a step. Average users won't even see Unity. They're trying to get to any desktop...

Regards,
Effenberg

thatguruguy
October 13th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I would like the damn thing to be installable on my Mac Mini 2011 (the 5.2 model with the Radeon chip in it). Something no currecnt distro manages.

That sounds like a Gnome3 problem.

Secondly I would like there to be 3D acceleration (I got that Radeon chip because AMD are our friends and code a lot of nice driver goodness yet it does not work). This is likely done to stupidity and hybrid graphics.

That sounds like a hardware problem.

Followed by that, I would love to see a pledge to support PackageKit and Systemd in P+1.

With the investment made in the Ubuntu Software Center, why should Ubuntu move to a completely different package management system?

madjr
October 14th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I spent a couple hours on the "General Help" forum now. I answered posts till I had to stop and smoke an entire pack. Many users ARE having problems with broken / frozen installs that lead to "No OS" BIOS messages or no possible boot on grub. They have systems stuck in purple screens (plymouth + no/wrong video setup), can't login to lightdm (wrong user session env vars, ~/.Xauthority, among others), login to desktop with no launcher/dash (unity/compiz common failure).

Looking at my stats, I see that I answered more than 60 posts like this in one afternoon :(

Trying to help them, I realized that they can't use the terminal, switch to a VT, cut/paste the commands I wrote, answer what VGA they have, perform sequences of commands as advised to, they can't install the correct VGA drivers and its impossible for them to perform adjustments (env vars, settings in ccsm, etc) to work around VGA bugs, etc.

How many times were these things reported? I know developers are not gods, of course. But I still feel like my dream would that the many brains behind development focused less on interface and more on fixing these age-old bugs / making the OS truly easy to install and use, bulletproof.

I really like Unity, but today, for the first time, I feel like it was too big a step. Average users won't even see Unity. They're trying to get to any desktop...

Regards,
Effenberg

I saw a few of your posts, but man, i didnt know you (along with many others) had been on it all afternoon.

And am sure these are only the people that care enough to solve their issues, anyone else would just boot back to windows and forget about ubuntu.

after every release cycle the devs just head off tome some hotel and leave us controlling the angry mobs...

well seriously if they stay on the forums after release they would see the importance of fixing these "age old bugs" and setting their priority to CRITICAL.

these are specially things i would like to see taken care of in this next LTS

cariboo
October 14th, 2011, 12:31 AM
That sounds like a Gnome3 problem.

That sounds like a hardware problem.

With the investment made in the Ubuntu Software Center, why should Ubuntu move to a completely different package management system?

As an aside, what does the following mean?

Canonical is a company. Ubuntu is its major product, but Ubuntu is also the community comprised of every user of Ubuntu. Canonical made the decision to make Banshee the primary media player for Ubuntu. Isn't that being "grateful" enough, or does every member of the community need to send you a box of chocolates?

Seriously, using that as your signature makes me like Banshee a lot less.

I know why gnomeuser is using that signature, and it doesn't need to be discussed in this thread. It has nothing to do with banshee.

BlacqWolf
October 14th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I'd just like the 11.10 regressions to be resolved. I'm having to use Ubuntu 11.04 because 11.10 runs extremely slowly for me on the graphics side of things, even though the maximum GPU capabilities with the open-source Radeon driver in Linux is greater than the proprietary in Windows for my card, based on tests I ran which are equally intense across platform.

And, using my integrated Wi-Fi is a pain in the butt too. In 11.04, everything worked perfectly fine, but in 11.10, when my Wi-Fi is on, it doesn't detect any networks or lets me connect to any of them. If I switch it off, then back on, it says "device is not ready" in the networking menu.

I'll try Ubuntu 11.10 again in a few more weeks and try upcoming versions of Ubuntu to see if the bugs affecting me get ironed out. Until then, I'm sticking with 11.04.

23dornot23d
October 14th, 2011, 12:57 AM

Regards,
Effenberg

Your work was brilliant ..... as were the input and answers of many others and at this early stage has probably given others a lot of great advice to solve some recurring problems.....

The Login problem ...... in Lightdm ...... as time goes on this will get worse not accepting passwords .....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859133
Login Problems
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859288
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859349
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859233 >>> BUG REPORT ALREADY SUBMITTED (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/871667)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859373

The Freezes ...... due to ATI drivers ..... are also becoming apparent .... even as fresh installs.

The lost mail messages in evolution ,,, and I have no idea how to get this users mail back ....
Lost Mail messages in Evolution after upgrade
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859284

The new Icons trying to be written into a directory that is no longer there ....... it even shows the error multiple times ...... on the upgrade ......

I sat through 4 of them ...... watching each and every error ...... ( the reason I started the thread in my link below ...... was they will only listen if there are lots of voices )
many will not come to the forums ... they will just use another Distro or return to Windows ...........

The Upgrades ...... have done well today its the start ....... wait till the weekend when
people have plenty of time on there hands to do them .

I for one appreciate what you did today , and so will many others too as the knock on effect of some of your replies and help will be passed onto others.

If nothing changes ...... it will stay as it is ....... :confused:

If this bug is not fixed soon there are going to be many users not being able to log in .......
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/871667

kurt18947
October 14th, 2011, 01:55 AM
UI Related:

Follow Fitt's Law. The edge-reveal of the Unity launcher is a huge flaw, and it gets in my way more than it should. If this behavior is intended to stay, then at least let me close a window by throwing the cursor to the corner. I don't want to aim when it's unneeded.
I want the ability to move the launcher. It really gets in my way when it decides to pop up when I press something such as the Back button in Firefox.
Lenses need much refinement.
Exposé-like feature by default.
A simple, non-ccsm program for configuring Unity. It's amazing that we actually need to use CCSM to change basic behaviour still.
Stop hiding the bloody appmenu.

Other:

Use only the most stable proprietary drivers possible. My Northern Islands AMD card doesn't like 11.8 or 11.9 very much. If I install an LTS, I expect stable defaults. PPAs don't count.

The Unity bar and FireFox forward/back arrows drove me nuts too. My solution was to move all the control icons to the right of the address bar. Even in Gnome Shell I like the arrows to the right of the address bar better, there's less distance to move the cursor if I'm using the mouse with the scroll bars on the right side.

madjr
October 14th, 2011, 04:12 AM
The Unity bar and FireFox forward/back arrows drove me nuts too. My solution was to move all the control icons to the right of the address bar. Even in Gnome Shell I like the arrows to the right of the address bar better, there's less distance to move the cursor if I'm using the mouse with the scroll bars on the right side.

might be related to this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/765819

you can add your example, as how annoying the problem can be.

ubupirate
October 14th, 2011, 04:23 AM

Why in the world would you want useless swap at beginning of drive?

It should be this for the fastest performance on HDD:
|---Boot/System Files---||-------App/Other Files--------||---Swap---|

bcschmerker
October 14th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Most definitely a current-source-treed, real-time-preemptable Kernel (viz., Kernel 3.*.*-realtime) that will run reliably on Advance Micro Devices® K7-and-up (Sockets 940, 939, AM2/+, AM3/+), with an option for full support of the integrated Radeon HD 6000-Series graphics processor in the Fusion A-Series (Socket FM1) as a real-time processor (which I already expect to be an on-site custom-compile-required condition).

My present hybrid Everex® (AMD® Athlon X2 5600+ on a Gigabyte® GA-MA78GM-S2HP), running 10.04.4-LTS Lucid (Kernel 2.6.35-35-generic) as of 13 October 2011, panicked and/or oopsed all too consistently with the RT kernels in both 8.04-LTS Hardy (Kernel Series 2.6.24) and 10.04-LTS Lucid (Kernel Series 2.6.31-rt, due to discontinuance of RT-branch development about the time 9.12a1-pre Lucid was made available as a public alpha). If the LinUX Kernel Project (http://www.kernel.org/) can get a stable-on-AMD Kernel 3.1-realtime to Ubuntu® in time for 11.12a1-pre Precise, this will be a good start.

effenberg0x0
October 14th, 2011, 04:45 AM
I want in PP:

- The possibility of using a circular rotating launcher in the middle of my screen. It's called the "wheel of fortune" launcher (I think it'd be amazing and unpredictable.. I won't give up on that).

- Horoscope lenses.

- More integration of social networks. I want twitter stuff to popup inside eclipse, gedit, terminal, etc, for example.

- More lenses: Digg lenses, Google+ lenses, bit lenses are also cool. It indexes your files bits, so you can search using hex, dec, bin, etc.

- And, probably not so important, a bulletproof OS setup, that forgets about win32 **** Wubi, fb, plymouth, etc on first run and does most of the safe install in a fast, mature and elegantly designed console environment. It would focus on making sure that the user will have all distro packages copied to his HDD before anything else, even if it has do dd things inside. Proper MBR and Partitions/Grub. 3 kernel entries on grub: Default, recovery and special.; Special is one with safe / most common kernel options for troubled hardware (acpi, etc). This phase of setuop would also ensure the basics: LAN & WLAN NICs, TCP/IP (Fixed vs DHCP-client setup). It will enable a VESA-based strip naked X Session as default, with a browser, so users can access / consult / download stuff if needed, to fix the setup if any problem happens. Then, after reboot on this safe environment, the user is presented with options to install proper VGA drivers, enable plymouth, put on the most beautiful background one can think off in his grub, get his glasses on and login to a 4D desktop.

Regards,
Effenberg

PaulInBHC
October 14th, 2011, 04:58 AM
I agree with effenberg. I have built four boxes since 2002 with XP. Every one started the first time with the mouse, keyboard and monitor working at least. Then I could go about installing proper drivers. But at least they worked.

effenberg0x0
October 14th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Oh one more thing. They should put VinDSL conkyrc in repos as default for conky. Read this and you will agree and understand:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859197

How the hell do you teach people grep, sed, awk, etc in a couple minutes / few posts?

Regards,
Effenberg

lucazade
October 14th, 2011, 07:17 AM
What I'd like to see in PP? A mature OS for mature users. Let's hope!

JHCKX
October 14th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Include gnome-fallback in the installation so you can revert to text menus.

It would be even better if you could switch between the text menu interface and the Unity icon-based interface without first logging out.

I think the text menu interface will always be the most efficient to learn and to use for computers with a mouse or touch pad. The nice big icons could evolve into a nice touch based interface but at present, the icons just get in the way. Switching to gnome fallback in 11.10 is like taking off the gloves. So much smoother, so much nicer.

Sworddragon
October 14th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Why in the world would you want useless swap at beginning of drive?

It should be this for the fastest performance on HDD:
|---Boot/System Files---||-------App/Other Files--------||---Swap---|

The swap should be in the middle of this. But the default guided partition doesn't split the files in any partitions so the swap should be the first partition. The explanation for this is in the ticket.

IWantFroyo
October 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Thunderbird/USC style toolbars everywhere. I wish LibreOffice got the makeover, especially.

thatguruguy
October 14th, 2011, 01:24 PM
It would be nice to see Libre Office get a makeover, but that's largely up to the developers of Libre Office.

I think it be nice to see certain packages like Jupiter and XBMC be included in the default Ubuntu repositories.

cheesekiller
October 14th, 2011, 01:50 PM
With 11.10 being out and having features such as menu editor and screensaver MISSING! I say they should work on FEATURES! and CUSTOMIZATION! in 12.04. what do you say?

dino99
October 14th, 2011, 02:25 PM
With 11.10 being out and having features such as menu editor and screensaver MISSING! I say they should work on FEATURES! and CUSTOMIZATION! in 12.04. what do you say?

check ubuntu evolution trend to see the new one: less user tweaking is the new wave (click & shut up)

note: devs are tired of bugs made by users tweaking everything without understanding the basics

fuduntu
October 14th, 2011, 02:54 PM
It would be nice to see Libre Office get a makeover, but that's largely up to the developers of Libre Office.

I think it be nice to see certain packages like Jupiter and XBMC be included in the default Ubuntu repositories.

I believe they require a sponsor that would shepard them through the process.

thatguruguy
October 14th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I believe they require a sponsor that would shepard them through the process.

I'm not sure exactly what this means. I get that the creator of a particular package may have reasons why he wouldn't want it included in a repository maintained by Canonical, especially if he a) is already maintaining a separate distro, or b) he feels antithetical about Ubuntu or Canonical, generally. As such, some packages may never become part of a default installation, or be part of an official repository.

Is there something else that I may be missing?

madjr
October 14th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I want in PP:

- The possibility of using a circular rotating launcher in the middle of my screen. It's called the "wheel of fortune" launcher (I think it'd be amazing and unpredictable.. I won't give up on that).

Regards,
Effenberg

use gnome pie!
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/gnome-pie-cool-new-visual-application.html

thatguruguy
October 14th, 2011, 03:42 PM

The screensaver functionality is missing because it was removed from Gnome 3.2 by the Gnome developers. However, there is already a discussion about implementing a solution wherein the screensaver is handled by Compiz.

Also, there is a bit of menu customization that can be done in the CompizConfig Settings Manager, if you have it installed. I imagine more customization will be added, although probably not enough to satisfy everyone.

effenberg0x0
October 14th, 2011, 03:44 PM
LOL!! I didn't knew that. They obviously stole my idea.

dnewkirk
October 14th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I would concur with others that spending time on fixing bugs in Unity and at large is the most important thing. The more robust that Precise is either in a server/workstation environment, the more business they'll be able to drum up with support contracts, etc. Oneiric makes a lot of improvements on Natty, but there are still lots of bugs to be fixed. There isn't any need to move to a different kernel, compiler version, or anything else. It's time to batten down the hatches and get the core components as bug free as possible, and then focus on updates to the larger body of packages.

nrundy
October 14th, 2011, 04:15 PM
1.) improve battery-life & reduce heat

2.) faster boot

3.) refine existing features & fix existing bugs

What I don't want to see is more new features that result in bugs. I want to see a hardened, stablized, swift-running, bug-free ubuntu.

teejavus
October 14th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Since the day I have been introduced to Ubuntu it's been through a network behind proxy:

So that means empathy can't be used
Ubuntu One - can't be used
Broadcast Accounts (Gwibber) - can't be used

some support for the proxy community !

Penguinnerd
October 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM
For me, just stop changing things for a little while! Really!

Let it stabilize a bit. Don't add anything new, other than continuing to make unity not suck as much.

Fix bugs. Make unity better.

Stop making Ubuntu more complicated. (Not just from a UI perspective, but also under the hood.)

Adapt it to be more easily configurable.

Give me a better way to view/launch all the applications I have installed by category.

Make it work better on a large screen where maximum information displayed at once has a higher priority over conserving screen space.

Don't make it "trendy", make it work. People are going to get sick and tired of this "desktop revolution" garbage.

moldaviax
October 14th, 2011, 05:23 PM
The main things I would like to see in 12.04

1) the option of a menu driven UI like Gnome 2 as per 10.04 PLEASE :-)
2) the ability to get at the system settings more easily
3) as one of the earlier comments said, less focus on UI experimentation and more emphasis on bug fixing and testing, there seems to be too many regression problems across releases.
4) for mobile laptop users anything to reduce power consumption would be great...
5) put synaptic back
6) when you click the x, exit the app, I hate how banshee continues blasting out music once I close it :-)

I converted to Ubuntu 10.04 in a day with no training and found my way around fine. With 11.04 navigating to find applications that aren't on the launcher is very frustrating and requires too many different forms of interaction. Hope Canonical recognise they risk alienating the community and creating headaches for those of us expected to migrate windows users onto ubuntu in the future.

M.

aeronutt
October 14th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I like nearly all of the recommendations. Some big pictures issues are really well represented in this thread. One detail...fix the freakin' power issue. 11.04 I draw 800mA on battery, 11.10 is drawing 2,500mA with similar setup. How in the world can I justify upgrading to an OS that decreases battery life 3X? (And the consistent response I get to this is, it's not Ubuntu's fault, it's the kernel. But as a user of battery powered laptop, I shouldn't have to care what the root cause is.)

thatguruguy
October 14th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I like nearly all of the recommendations. Some big pictures issues are really well represented in this thread. One detail...fix the freakin' power issue. 11.04 I draw 800mA on battery, 11.10 is drawing 2,500mA with similar setup. How in the world can I justify upgrading to an OS that decreases battery life 3X? (And the consistent response I get to this is, it's not Ubuntu's fault, it's the kernel. But as a user of battery powered laptop, I shouldn't have to care what the root cause is.)

That's why I suggested adding Jupiter to the standard repositories.

effenberg0x0
October 14th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I feel like we tested Oneiric for months, found out a lot of bugs and annoyances and reported them, and the software went away with most of these problems anyway.

Then, what has become basic to us testers, like the 5 or 6 problems that lead a user to no Launcher/Panel on Ubuntu, the most important workarounds, etc, was archived away from the average user and is unknown to the them and current "General Help" helpers. See the threads, they're struggling.

I'll be an *** with this stuff in this cycle, I feel like I should have expressed my concerns in a more serious way. I should / could have done more in terms of documenting workarounds, and could have tried to put more pressure on some devs for focus on the really critical issues.

Regards,
Effenberg

PS
I'm serious pissed: I received some stats from an IT services company that has performed onsite tests with Oneiric. 8 in 10 tests failed with the final iso. Each test is like 40 to 50 machines. The hardware is business-oriented, like Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc. Talk about bad PR (again) for Linux... Been hearing all kind of **** now because of it.

"Linux is cheaper, safer and more customizable for the business environment. But Windows works". This **** is in my e-mail right now, from the CIO of a large multinational company.

fuduntu
October 14th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure exactly what this means. I get that the creator of a particular package may have reasons why he wouldn't want it included in a repository maintained by Canonical, especially if he a) is already maintaining a separate distro, or b) he feels antithetical about Ubuntu or Canonical, generally. As such, some packages may never become part of a default installation, or be part of an official repository.

Is there something else that I may be missing?

As the author, I wouldn't have any problem with it being in the Ubuntu repo. I'm just saying that someone (who isn't me) would need to be the package champion, and go through the motions required to get the package into the repo.

Gyokuro
October 14th, 2011, 06:41 PM
1.) delta debs

2.) LVM volume manager out of the box (with sane defaults for average users; /, /home/, /swap)

3.) optimized kernel for server and workstation => please do not merge both together, take a look at RHEL kernel

4.) configurable Unity (let user choose where they want to place their toolbar)

5.) default enabled Ufw

6.) stable browser branch

rtalcott
October 14th, 2011, 08:42 PM
"... I received some stats from an IT services company that has performed onsite tests with Oneiric. 8 in 10 tests failed with the final iso. Each test is like 40 to 50 machines. The hardware is business-oriented, like Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc. ..."

Any specific failures that are common from that testing?
rt

Johnny3
October 14th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I would like a restart thing above shut down. Maybe more toward PC than lap tops or 50/50.
Thanks and God Bless Johnny3 65++

cariboo
October 14th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I merged two threads on the same subject.

seeker5528
October 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I want 'Alt'+'F2' to bring up actual run box functionality instead of just search I want tab clompletion, ability to specify commands that don't show in the menus, ability to specify options, the usual suspects.

Later, Seeker

cariboo
October 14th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Alt+F2 does bring up a run box, as opposed to the search in the dash. I agree, that it does need improvement though, tab completion would be a nice start.

sgage
October 14th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I feel like we tested Oneiric for months, found out a lot of bugs and annoyances and reported them, and the software went away with most of these problems anyway.

Then, what has become basic to us testers, like the 5 or 6 problems that lead a user to no Launcher/Panel on Ubuntu, the most important workarounds, etc, was archived away from the average user and is unknown to the them and current "General Help" helpers. See the threads, they're struggling.

I'll be an *** with this stuff in this cycle, I feel like I should have expressed my concerns in a more serious way. I should / could have done more in terms of documenting workarounds, and could have tried to put more pressure on some devs for focus on the really critical issues.

Regards,
Effenberg

PS
I'm serious pissed: I received some stats from an IT services company that has performed onsite tests with Oneiric. 8 in 10 tests failed with the final iso. Each test is like 40 to 50 machines. The hardware is business-oriented, like Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc. Talk about bad PR (again) for Linux... Been hearing all kind of **** now because of it.

"Linux is cheaper, safer and more customizable for the business environment. But Windows works". This **** is in my e-mail right now, from the CIO of a large multinational company.

Effenberg, I feel the same way. We spent a lot of time and effort diligently testing, troubleshooting, reporting, etc. during the OO cycle, and just look at the General Help forum today - all the same problems we identified weeks if not months ago!

I made a good faith effort to be as helpful to the Ubuntu cause as I could, but I have to admit feeling a bit let down.

Not sure I'm up for it again this cycle...

seeker5528
October 14th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Alt+F2 does bring up a run box

Hmmm, guess I missed it because stuff I wanted to do didn't seem to be working and in some cases ran one of the similar but different things that showed in the list below.

Just tried it......

totem /dev/video0

...seems to work, but.....

gedit /some/directory/some_textfile.txt

... seems to fail a lot with the complaint that '/some/directory' is a directory.

I guess over time that will probably improve, hopefully before the next release. So I guess the two big things are.....

No Tab completion
No ability to paste text
Needs a 'run in terminal' option for the command line stuff

Later, Seeker

mixmastamyk
October 14th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I'd like to see more QA work done, and less change for change sake. Every release introduces as many bugs as features, which makes it scary to upgrade.

Worse, most of them never get fixed even though plenty of updates come every week.

Specifics:
- compiz in natty was such a disaster I had to revert back to .8x. Unacceptable.
- Audio a mess for years.
- Many things removed that I used, w/o replacement:
- sessions
- services gui

madjr
October 14th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I'd like to see more QA work done, and less change for change sake. Every release introduces as many bugs as features, which makes it scary to upgrade.

Worse, most of them never get fixed even though plenty of updates come every week.

Specifics:
- compiz in natty was such a disaster I had to revert back to .8x. Unacceptable.
- Audio a mess for years.
- Many things removed that I used, w/o replacement:
- sessions
- services gui

is not just QA

the problem is bigger than that and has been identified (http://netsplit.com/2011/09/08/new-ubuntu-release-process/)

alreadytaken4536
October 15th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I would love to see a feature that lets you choose a gallery of wallpapers to have as your desktop background in rotation. There are a few applications that do this, but it would be very nice to have as a feature already implemented in Ubuntu.

effenberg0x0
October 15th, 2011, 01:10 AM
The Compiz Wallpaper Plugin has it, and its working. But you have to kill Nautilus to see the background images lol

I have tried to get Nautilus Desktop Class and identifiers via xprop and use the Window Rules to set it to "Below" (any)... but it didn't work. You should try it, I may have made a mistake, missed something.

KenSharp
October 15th, 2011, 01:47 AM
1. All the bugs that have been sitting around doing nothing for years.
2. All the bugs.

jerrylamos
October 15th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Grub, Install, and Shutdown working from the beginning all the way through.

I just had Install & Grub fail on a new Oneiric release level fail. Launchpad bug written. When Install gets some error, why oh why does it leave grub in a totally unusable state?? Live CD necessary to fix it.

Install didn't work for a couple months on Natty Narwhal.

Being a glutton for punishment, this is a Oneiric Ocelot upgraded to Precise Pangolin - on a USB hard drive - hopefully that won't screw Grub on /dev/sda, but I've even seen that happen. Specify /dev/sdb on install and it still screwed /dev/sda. Go figure.

Jerry

jbicha
October 15th, 2011, 09:20 AM
-Gnome Sushi (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/install-sushi-file-previewer-in-ubuntu.html) integration (or sushi / kde style quick previews) in the Dash (files and music lens)

Sushi needs to look like Ubuntu to be included by default and it doesn't yet. Specifically, scrolling (in Unity) and the close button on the right is wrong.

For stability, Ubuntu actually used the same xserver 1.10 in Oneiric as in Natty. This one is definitely AMD's fault, not Ubuntu's. My understanding is that 6 months after GNOME Shell was released, the fglrx drivers still don't fully support it.

@MacUntu, I don't think the CD size limitation being lifted would help you out as much as you might think. There are quite a few reasons why the default CD still would only ship 1 desktop, 1 web browser, etc.

@aeronutt, it's not necessarily a kernel problem. It could just be one app running that's hogging up all your CPU.

@Gyokuro, ufw is shipped by default but not enabled as the theory is that Ubuntu ships with all ports closed by default except for a few obvious services (web access, time synchronization, Zeroconf, CUPS). Your request for a LTS web browser is better directed towards Mozilla or Google. And you are aware that Ubuntu has kernels (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux) targeted towards "generic", server, and virtual clients, right?

Compiz will definitely not be as fragile this cycle, and the GNOME and Unity transitions of the past 2 cycles are behind us, so this cycle should be quite a bit more smooth.

By the way, the best way to get apps into Ubuntu is via Debian, and doing so requires a maintainer: someone willing to keep the package as up to date and bug free as possible.

And it looks like using Wubi or encrypted home directories can cause significant problems, especially with upgrades. That either needs to be fixed or those technologies should be marked as experimental. Data loss is a critical issue.

Gyokuro
October 15th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Sushi needs to look like Ubuntu to be included by default and it doesn't yet. Specifically, scrolling (in Unity) and the close button on the right is wrong.

For stability, Ubuntu actually used the same xserver 1.10 in Oneiric as in Natty. This one is definitely AMD's fault, not Ubuntu's. My understanding is that 6 months after GNOME Shell was released, the fglrx drivers still don't fully support it.

@MacUntu, I don't think the CD size limitation being lifted would help you out as much as you might think. There are quite a few reasons why the default CD still would only ship 1 desktop, 1 web browser, etc.

@aeronutt, it's not necessarily a kernel problem. It could just be one app running that's hogging up all your CPU.

@Gyokuro, ufw is shipped by default but not enabled as the theory is that Ubuntu ships with all ports closed by default except for a few obvious services (web access, time synchronization, Zeroconf, CUPS). Your request for a LTS web browser is better directed towards Mozilla or Google. And you are aware that Ubuntu has kernels (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux) targeted towards "generic", server, and virtual clients, right?

Compiz will definitely not be as fragile this cycle, and the GNOME and Unity transitions of the past 2 cycles are behind us, so this cycle should be quite a bit more smooth.

By the way, the best way to get apps into Ubuntu is via Debian, and doing so requires a maintainer: someone willing to keep the package as up to date and bug free as possible.

And it looks like using Wubi or encrypted home directories can cause significant problems, especially with upgrades. That either needs to be fixed or those technologies should be marked as experimental. Data loss is a critical issue.

@jbicha: ufw should be default enabled, major distros (RHEL,SUSE Enterprise) have the firewall enabled as default for years and it's not really an argument that only few services are running - the same argument comes from Apple too :-). LTS browser request: my request is: maybe the ubuntu project as a whole can put some pressure on mozilla devs to get back to stable releases not the current release number hunting with only few changes or security updates, chrome is googles problem; kernel request: I'm referring more to the discussion to enable workstation kernel options in server kernels (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.devel.kernel.general/16150)

BigCityCat
October 15th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Make it so that the launcher can be re sized vertically and detached from the panel as an option.

Allow the panel to be resized.

TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS
October 15th, 2011, 01:39 PM
1. All the bugs that have been sitting around doing nothing for years.
2. All the bugs.

I agree.
Stability is key.
It is already visually stunning (esp. w/ compiz, etc...)
11.10 has a lot of issues, and a lot of new features.... But the main concern for users is a
fully functional NON-BUGGY environment. That is why people flee Windows and go to Ubuntu,
they look for a way to not get viruses, and avoid the infamous BSOD.
So make it solid. get rid of the black screen of death issues.

mulceber
October 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I would love to see a feature that lets you choose a gallery of wallpapers to have as your desktop background in rotation. There are a few applications that do this, but it would be very nice to have as a feature already implemented in Ubuntu.

I agree completely. This has always been something I found frustrating with Ubuntu, as Windows and (AFAIK) Mac both do this and it's a very neat little function. Having a desktop slideshow tool come standard would be VERY welcome. -M

cariboo
October 15th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I agree completely. This has always been something I found frustrating with Ubuntu, as Windows and (AFAIK) Mac both do this and it's a very neat little function. Having a desktop slideshow tool come standard would be VERY welcome. -M

It's already there click the wallpaper on the right in the top row. See the screenshot, notice where it says changes throughout the day? You can have a look at the script in /usr/share/backgrounds/contest

ventrical
October 15th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Or download wallch from synaptic.

It's great!

ventrical
October 15th, 2011, 05:05 PM
So with wallch you can put in a whole folder with unlimited number of jpegs or other pics and they will change every 10 seconds on the fly .. even in compiz !!!!!!!!!!!

So if you want to scan docs of phone numbers, notes or to dos you can use the backgrounds for reminders... it's one of the few surprises that came with the final release...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqRst_sJjwM

jbicha
October 15th, 2011, 06:09 PM
@jbicha: ufw should be default enabled, major distros (RHEL,SUSE Enterprise) have the firewall enabled as default for years and it's not really an argument that only few services are running - the same argument comes from Apple too :-). LTS browser request: my request is: maybe the ubuntu project as a whole can put some pressure on mozilla devs to get back to stable releases not the current release number hunting with only few changes or security updates, chrome is googles problem; kernel request: I'm referring more to the discussion to enable workstation kernel options in server kernels (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.devel.kernel.general/16150)

I'm not a firewall expert but I don't think having ufw enabled will actually make any difference in the default install. The ports are already closed.

Thanks for the link. That proposal is about merging the server and desktop kernels on amd64 since they aren't that different from each other. Personally, I use i386 on my server to try to use as little RAM as possible so the proposal isn't a problem here.

I don't think it's Ubuntu's places to tell Firefox how to manage their releases. At any rate, Mozilla is considering (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Enterprise/Firefox/ExtendedSupport:Proposal) a LTS option as Mozilla is quite aware that there's a lot of pressure for that option. Be aware that "LTS" for a 6-week release cycle is still less than 1 year.

23dornot23d
October 15th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I am sure that the people reporting BUGS this time around would love to see the developers
create some more visual effects and additional programs for them ....
..... and as many new additional programs as can be thought up.

BUT ....

Cleaner Upgrades and fewer bugs will get a lot more respect ....... IMHO

I hope if anyone has some time they can see to just answering a few of these there are not
many ...... and next year there will be less with all the good work that is currently being done ......

Do scroll right down to the bottom of the list though ..... this is 3 days worth ....

cuppsy
October 15th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I am sure that the people reporting BUGS this time around would love to see the developers
create some more visual effects and additional programs for them ....
..... and as many new additional programs as can be thought up.

BUT ....

Cleaner Upgrades and fewer bugs will get a lot more respect ....... IMHO

I hope if anyone has some time they can see to just answering a few of these there are not
many ...... and next year there will be less with all the good work that is currently being done ......

Do scroll right down to the bottom of the list though ..... this is 3 days worth ....

While I wholly agree that stability needs to be a top priority, keep in mind that Ubuntu is a)based on the unstable branch of Debian and b)is still fairly early with Unity. They've made it a lot less buggy since 11.04, and I'm sure that'll be the bulk oft he focus for 12.04.

Generally speaking, if you don't wanna deal with a few bugs, stick with an LTS. And that's exponentially more true with Unity being rolled out and ironed out right now. I don't think that Ubuntu's headed downhill with stability, I just think their in a pretty massive transition period right now.

23dornot23d
October 15th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I fully understand the transition .....

Its similar to taking a roof off ..... and putting a new one back ......

Do you make it watertight and save ruining all the good things inside .....

or

do you go back when you find the problems and patch the holes before any real damage is done ......

If a roofer said to the people in the house below ,,,, well we had to put a new roof on and you know its a totally new roof ......

Customer ........ So what about all the water coming in and ruining what I have ,

Professional ..... Well give it six months and see if moss grows to fill any gaps we left.

I suppose the only thing he could say is - is that its completely new ...... so gaps cannot be patched as easily .......
or we could try to put your old roof back ....

Ok say the owners thats fine then ........ Thank You ........

madjr
October 15th, 2011, 07:17 PM
While I wholly agree that stability needs to be a top priority, keep in mind that Ubuntu is a)based on the unstable branch of Debian and b)is still fairly early with Unity. They've made it a lot less buggy since 11.04, and I'm sure that'll be the bulk oft he focus for 12.04.

Generally speaking, if you don't wanna deal with a few bugs, stick with an LTS. And that's exponentially more true with Unity being rolled out and ironed out right now. I don't think that Ubuntu's headed downhill with stability, I just think their in a pretty massive transition period right now.

Is just not "transition" (they always seem to be in a "transition" since 2005), the real problems have been identified:

(root problem: Ubuntu has not just time-based releases, but time-based features (http://netsplit.com/2011/09/08/new-ubuntu-release-process/#comment-2966))

now what will they do to solve them?

PaulInBHC
October 15th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I'm not very ubuntu savvy. Today I pressed alt + F1 while trying to remember how to open a terminal. That popped out the launcher and disabled my cursor. I had to restart the box. Then I could not get the launcher to activate with the cursor, only with the super key. I clicked the workspace switcher, twice and the launcher is now normal. No idea why this stuff happens but it is frustrating.

luvr
October 15th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Don't make it "trendy", make it work. People are going to get sick and tired of this "desktop revolution" garbage.
I, for one, am tired of this “desktop revolution” garbage. It's not even just an Ubuntu problem—first there was KDE4, which I tried to like, but it simply wasn't my cup of tea.

Then came Unity, which feels more like a tablet interface than a desktop interface to me. While tablets are undoubtedly the wave of the future (even one-year olds find them natural these days (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXV-yaFmQNk)), I'm sticking to a traditional desktop or laptop for now.

Then there's the GNOME3 shell... Sigh!

Oh, and it's not even just a Linux problem—Windows 8, anybody?

Looking at this “revolution,” I guess that I could live with KDE4 if I really had to; there may come a day when Unity becomes flexible and stable enough to make it a pleasant experience for me (but I won't hold my breath); but I cannot imagine ever liking GNOME3 shell—what a mess!

Anyway, I'm sticking with Ubuntu 10.04, at least until it goes end-of-life; 11.10 will be the first release that I won't even bother to download since my first encounter with Ubuntu; and I have a gut feeling that 12.04 won't be for me either.

I'm supporting a few elderly people, who had never touched a computer until they asked me if I could help them get started. I got them second-hand laptops, onto which I installed Ubuntu 10.04 for them, and they are fairly happy and getting pretty familiar with it by now—but I cannot imagine having to force them to migrate to the “revolutionary” generation of desktops that we all appear to be supposed to be drooling about.

So, KDE3 is dead (although openSUSE appears to be wanting to try and revive it); GNOME2 is dead; I'm not too thrilled about KDE4; Unity is not for me, at least for the foreseeable future; I won't even consider GNOME3.

Fortunately, Ubuntu 10.04 continues to work great, and with the help of a selected set of PPAs, I can keep its software pretty much up-to-date for now. I'm in no rush to migrate off of it, but once I decide that that time has come, I'll likely go for Xfce (unless that, too, gets messed up by then). It currently seems unlikely, however, that I'll stick with the Ubuntu brand at that time.

Oh, and as far as the Precise Pangolin is concerned: I don't really care enough to want anything particular in it; I'll leave that to those who still do care.

And, by the way, just because I'm likely on the way out, that doesn't mean that any of you should follow. If Ubuntu continues to work for you (as, for now, it does for me), then more power to you!

madjr
October 15th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I'm supporting a few elderly people, who had never touched a computer until they asked me if I could help them get started. I got them second-hand laptops, onto which I installed Ubuntu 10.04 for them, and they are fairly happy and getting pretty familiar with it by now—but I cannot imagine having to force them to migrate to the “revolutionary” generation of desktops that we all appear to be supposed to be drooling about.

And, by the way, just because I'm likely on the way out, that doesn't mean that any of you should follow. If Ubuntu continues to work for you (as, for now, it does for me), then more power to you!

this is a bit off-topic, but i also support a few "elderly" and young people.

they haven't really had a problem with unity, as long as most the apps they use have a shortcut in the launcher or desktop (the young ones will venture in the dash thou).

in fact they found it pretty, clean and less troublesome than gnome2 (where they occasionally removed/messed up an panel applet or the panels themselves, leaving the desktop unusable!). Unity is locked in by default, so nothing they can ever brake and are not as afraid to use it...

sure the desktop "revolution" is not for you, as you feel there is too much change everywhere (ok, you dont like change) and that is fine, but try not to drag the people that surround you too into that mindset.

Cheers and good luck!

Gs Dewd
October 15th, 2011, 10:05 PM
The Only thing I see "I" would like to see would be open gl enabled for my graphics card as default. Under 11.04 and all older version I had no trouble with this. My graphic card worked great with the default open sourced driver the was installed during initial install. Under 11.10 open GL was disabled for some reason. I found this by accident when I installed Cario dock. Also my graphics card was listed as unknown under system info until I enabled open gl. My card is a Ati Radeon x1550 xge.

sammiev
October 15th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I would like to see them push Precise Pangolin to the cutting edge, one program at a time. :popcorn:

pressureman
October 15th, 2011, 10:28 PM

If your swap IO is more than general filesystem IO, it's a clear sign that you need to add more RAM. I rarely see any swap used on my notebook, and I'd rather have the minuscule performance boost on my rootfs, than on a barely used swap partition.

IMHO, swap should only be used these days as a safety measure against a process being OOM-killed. It should not be relied upon for daily operation.

screaminj3sus
October 15th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Anti-aliased window borders (I thought we were supposed to have this for 11.10!), new gtk theme, new icon theme, unity polish/stability improvements.

mulceber
October 16th, 2011, 12:17 AM
It's already there click the wallpaper on the right in the top row. See the screenshot, notice where it says changes throughout the day? You can have a look at the script in /usr/share/backgrounds/contest

Thanks for pointing that out, but I already knew that Ubuntu came with a pre-loaded desktop slideshow. What I can't find is a utility that allows you to create your own. If it already exists, could you point me to it? -M

Glenn nl
October 16th, 2011, 01:08 AM
-Replace Upstart with Systemd
-Wayland! :D
-Replace the remote desktop applications with Remmina
-Replace Banshee with Rhythmbox, I don´t like a weird music/video-hybrid for playing some mp3 files.
-Include ufw-frontends by default

Sadly, none of my wishes are realistic for any time soon. :(

beew
October 16th, 2011, 05:57 AM
The gnome-tweak-tool should be installed by default, and better, those functions should be integrated into gnome. It is just ridiculous to expect new users to install packages just to do simple things like changing fonts and themes. Good luck trying to reach 200 millions if even such basic functionalities that users take for granted in the other OSes are unavailable ootb.

Yeah, and also adding back the "custom command" option in the "open with" menu would be nice, gnome3 at this point is quite crippled really and by design, that is sad.

cariboo
October 16th, 2011, 06:16 AM
The gnome-tweak-tool should be installed by default, and better, those functions should be integrated into gnome. It is just ridiculous to expect new users to install packages just to do simple things like changing fonts and themes. Good luck trying to reach 200 millions if even such basic functionalities that users take for granted in the other OSes are unavailable ootb.

Yeah, and also adding back the "custom command" option in the "open with" menu would be nice, gnome3 at this point is quite crippled really and by design, that is sad.

None of what you are asking is in Ubuntu's control, create bugs upstream at https://bugzilla.gnome.org/.

I may be showing my age, but it seems that it is only newer users that want everything included by default.

Maybe I just got used to installing what I needed myself over the years, but I think there should be sane defaults, that work for everyone.

beew
October 16th, 2011, 07:11 AM
None of what you are asking is in Ubuntu's control, create bugs upstream at https://bugzilla.gnome.org/.

It is certainly in Ubuntu's control to select what default packages to install.

I may be showing my age, but it seems that it is only newer users that want everything included by default. Exactly my point. Isn't the goal of Ubuntu to get new users?

Maybe I just got used to installing what I needed myself over the years, but I think there should be sane defaults, that work for everyone.I can't see how including options for basic configuring tasks like changing fonts and themes would not be working for anyone.

Gyokuro
October 16th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I, for one, am tired of this “desktop revolution” garbage. It's not even just an Ubuntu problem—first there was KDE4, which I tried to like, but it simply wasn't my cup of tea.

Then came Unity, which feels more like a tablet interface than a desktop interface to me. While tablets are undoubtedly the wave of the future (even one-year olds find them natural these days (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXV-yaFmQNk)), I'm sticking to a traditional desktop or laptop for now.

Then there's the GNOME3 shell... Sigh!

Oh, and it's not even just a Linux problem—Windows 8, anybody?

Looking at this “revolution,” I guess that I could live with KDE4 if I really had to; there may come a day when Unity becomes flexible and stable enough to make it a pleasant experience for me (but I won't hold my breath); but I cannot imagine ever liking GNOME3 shell—what a mess!

Anyway, I'm sticking with Ubuntu 10.04, at least until it goes end-of-life; 11.10 will be the first release that I won't even bother to download since my first encounter with Ubuntu; and I have a gut feeling that 12.04 won't be for me either.

So, KDE3 is dead (although openSUSE appears to be wanting to try and revive it); GNOME2 is dead; I'm not too thrilled about KDE4; Unity is not for me, at least for the foreseeable future; I won't even consider GNOME3.

Fortunately, Ubuntu 10.04 continues to work great, and with the help of a selected set of PPAs, I can keep its software pretty much up-to-date for now. I'm in no rush to migrate off of it, but once I decide that that time has come, I'll likely go for Xfce (unless that, too, gets messed up by then). It currently seems unlikely, however, that I'll stick with the Ubuntu brand at that time.

Oh, and as far as the Precise Pangolin is concerned: I don't really care enough to want anything particular in it; I'll leave that to those who still do care.

+1 on all your comments: gnome3 and kde4 are way to bloated and someone can hope that they will fix Unity to an usable DE - give the power back to the user!

For PP I'm willing to invest more time to generate more bug reports,... but I will also look with one eye on xfce4 in case I do not like the result.

raziel09
October 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I would like to see an better performance monitor similar to that in vista and windows 7 so that we can accurately see where the system bottle necks are (such as ram, CPU, GPU) on an scoring system.

I currently use system profiler \hard info however this is an little outdated now and doesn't really explain the scores that it gets.

luvr
October 16th, 2011, 01:41 PM
sure the desktop "revolution" is not for you, as you feel there is too much change everywhere (ok, you dont like change) and that is fine, but try not to drag the people that surround you too into that mindset.
Well—I did point out that, as opposed to KDE4 and GNOME3, I could see Unity become a potentially interesting option. In fact, in my experience, you are right that the elderly people don't always appear to feel entirely comfortable with GNOME2, so I have been considering introducing them to Unity (just to see how they would react to it, compared to GNOME2)—but I will hold off at least until Unity makes it into a Long-Term Support Release (i.e., 12.04), provided that that turns out to be sufficiently stable and usable.

There's one issue that bothers me enough about Unity that it may be worth mentioning here, though, and that's the “Global Menu.” I've never even liked it on the Mac—where it has been a well-integrated feature right from the start—and I like it even less when it's being hacked into a system as a poorly fitting afterthought. I have no objection to anyone being thrilled about it, but I, for one, certainly want to be able to turn it off—and easily at that.

luvr
October 16th, 2011, 01:59 PM
-Wayland! :D
Wayland does, indeed, look like an interesting development, but it will likely take quite a bit of time until it can be considered “ready.” In addition, the “Precise Pangolin” will be a Long-Term Support Release—which (in my opinion) should favour stability over experimentation with all kinds of exciting new features and technologies.

Sadly, none of my wishes are realistic for any time soon. :(
Amen!

nrundy
October 16th, 2011, 02:31 PM

I think this is a point that a log of people miss. People expect the 6-month releases to have the stability of the LTS.

The bugs in the 6-month releases I believe are one of the things that Remnant's monthly release proposal http://netsplit.com/2011/09/08/new-ubuntu-release-process/ is intended to address. It would make a rolling release but nothing lands in the release channel until it meets stringent testing standards and hence has few bugs. An LTS would still exist for long-tern sameness/stability.

hannysabbagh
October 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM
i like to have synaptic back again, and remove Unity 3D and add gnome-shell with some themes! :)
also to add gdebi to install debs; better than ubuntu-software-center.

thx.

Lars Noodén
October 16th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Remove Mono (http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono) and applications dependent on Mono (http://lwn.net/Articles/341771/) from the main distro. For audio, Clementine or Rhythmbox are better. For, note-taking, there is the smaller, faster Gnote or else Basket or Getting Things Gnome.

Lars Noodén
October 16th, 2011, 04:04 PM
An image editing package is needed. Please restore the image editing software, GIMP, to the main CD.

beew
October 16th, 2011, 05:46 PM
There's one issue that bothers me enough about Unity that it may be worth mentioning here, though, and that's the “Global Menu.” I've never even liked it on the Mac—where it has been a well-integrated feature right from the start—and I like it even less when it's being hacked into a system as a poorly fitting afterthought. I have no objection to anyone being thrilled about it, but I, for one, certainly want to be able to turn it off—and easily at that.

You can get rid of it by uninstalling the package "indicator-appmenu" and reboot, this is the first thing I did when I installed 11.10 and 11.04.

jbicha
October 16th, 2011, 05:51 PM
+1 on all your comments: gnome3 and kde4 are way to bloated and someone can hope that they will fix Unity to an usable DE - give the power back to the user!

I hope you realize that "bloat" and "customizability" are closely related.

I would like to see an better performance monitor similar to that in vista and windows 7 so that we can accurately see where the system bottle necks are (such as ram, CPU, GPU) on an scoring system.

I currently use system profiler \hard info however this is an little outdated now and doesn't really explain the scores that it gets.

The included System Monitor is quite good. It doesn't give a numerical rating but that number to me seems a bit artificial and hard to judge. For instance, graphical performance in Linux is complex and there should be some preference for open source drivers and extra points if the drivers aren't late (as unfortunately it sounds like fglrx releases have been lagging behinid). Do you value pure performance or is power consumption important too?

i like to have synaptic back again, and remove Unity 3D and add gnome-shell with some themes! :smile:
also to add gdebi to install debs; better than ubuntu-software-center.

Sorry, you're dreaming. On the other hand, GNOME Shell themes and extensions will be a lot easier to install once GNOME gets https://extensions.gnome.org/ running. And of course, it's extremely easy to install gdebi, gnome-shell, or synaptic.

Remove Mono (http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono) and applications dependent on Mono (http://lwn.net/Articles/341771/) from the main distro. For audio, Clementine or Rhythmbox are better. For, note-taking, there is the smaller, faster Gnote or else Basket or Getting Things Gnome.

"Better." "Faster." Sorry but you need to justify why. Rhythmbox in particular hasn't had a new release since January and doesn't appear to be developing as fast as Banshee is (for years now). Tomboy has Ubuntu One integration which makes replacing it more difficult. Honestly, I don't think we plan to consider swapping any major default apps this cycle, but we are looking at what should be the default video player (Totem 3.0, 3.2, 3.4 or maybe something else, but VLC looks out of the question).

Gyokuro
October 16th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Wayland does, indeed, look like an interesting development, but it will likely take quite a bit of time until it can be considered “ready.” In addition, the “Precise Pangolin” will be a Long-Term Support Release—which (in my opinion) should favour stability over experimentation with all kinds of exciting new features and technologies.

Amen!

Maybe they should only freeze Oneric Ocelot - fix all bugs (Unity will be the biggest task :-) ) and release it as Precise Pangolin :popcorn:

sgage
October 16th, 2011, 06:36 PM
"Better." "Faster." Sorry but you need to justify why. Rhythmbox in particular hasn't had a new release since January and doesn't appear to be developing as fast as Banshee is (for years now). Tomboy has Ubuntu One integration which makes replacing it more difficult. Honestly, I don't think we plan to consider swapping any major default apps this cycle, but we are looking at what should be the default video player (Totem 3.0, 3.2, 3.4 or maybe something else, but VLC looks out of the question).

Banshee is a pig-slow, unstable mess. It simply goes unresponsive, or pegs the CPU, at seemingly random intervals. It sits on a pile of mono sludge.

Rhythmbox is solid, does what it's supposed to do, doesn't crash, is faster in every respect, and lighter in resources.

That's what is meant by "better" and "faster".

hannysabbagh
October 16th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Sorry, you're dreaming. On the other hand, GNOME Shell themes and extensions will be a lot easier to install once GNOME gets https://extensions.gnome.org/ running. And of course, it's extremely easy to install gdebi, gnome-shell, or synaptic.

of course i am,but i forget to add "my dream in ubuntu is.." :D ,i don't see a good reason to not add all of these.
yea this is all easy but important, if you can have a big features in a tiny space why you don't use them?
also the beginner don't know to do all of that,why not makeing things more easier on them?
i forget to add gimp :)
thx.

cornflake000
October 17th, 2011, 04:39 AM

What desktop revolution? I have been watching Ubuntu digress for 2 years now. It saddens me since I spent years working to help get the non-unity versions of the past to the point that Ubuntu could actually change the industry. I left Ubuntu because I saw 2 years ago that the direction was going to be a nasty drag on the future of Linux and the Ubuntu that was a beautiful example of progress. I continue to lurk in hopes that the direction will change back to stability rather than flash in the pan breakage that represents your "desktop revolution".

Ubuntu used to be the best of the future. Now it's become a joke. This is what you call revolution. This is what I call a travesty and your delusion.

I continue to use the best Linux has to offer in other distros which will remain unnamed that it won't be taken as an advertisement.

Yup, I am angry because your mindset has done damage to the whole industry since the name Ubuntu was carrying such a placard of the success of Linux and Open Source software just to turn tail and prove to the M$ and MAC crowd that Linux is not up to their standards. Worse than that, it has taught the average computer user that Linux is not friendly enough or compatible enough to be trusted.

I did not have to be this way. I find it more difficult every day to get people to choose Linux as an option because they give me the same answers every time. The main one being, "everyone I talk to said it didn't work for them". I had the opportunity to introduce Linux to 2 whole school districts which made up the possibility of thousands of students. Why did Linux fail their test? Because of your "desktop revolution".

Wake up! I am always looking for Ubuntu to get their act "BACK" together again. I have not found it yet. I and a lot of other people are loosing hope. If your desktop revolution is simply made up of your hopes and dreams... and delusions, Ubuntu will not be moving forward.

I go back to my hole now to wait for the next version which I HOPE will be in the process of coming back to it's senses. You speak of dragging people into a mindset? I speak of dragging people out of yours.

cariboo
October 17th, 2011, 05:07 AM
What desktop revolution? I have been watching Ubuntu digress for 2 years now. It saddens me since I spent years working to help get the non-unity versions of the past to the point that Ubuntu could actually change the industry. I left Ubuntu because I saw 2 years ago that the direction was going to be a nasty drag on the future of Linux and the Ubuntu that was a beautiful example of progress. I continue to lurk in hopes that the direction will change back to stability rather than flash in the pan breakage that represents your "desktop revolution".

Ubuntu used to be the best of the future. Now it's become a joke. This is what you call revolution. This is what I call a travesty and your delusion.

I continue to use the best Linux has to offer in other distros which will remain unnamed that it won't be taken as an advertisement.

Yup, I am angry because your mindset has done damage to the whole industry since the name Ubuntu was carrying such a placard of the success of Linux and Open Source software just to turn tail and prove to the M$ and MAC crowd that Linux is not up to their standards. Worse than that, it has taught the average computer user that Linux is not friendly enough or compatible enough to be trusted.

I did not have to be this way. I find it more difficult every day to get people to choose Linux as an option because they give me the same answers every time. The main one being, "everyone I talk to said it didn't work for them". I had the opportunity to introduce Linux to 2 whole school districts which made up the possibility of thousands of students. Why did Linux fail their test? Because of your "desktop revolution".

Wake up! I am always looking for Ubuntu to get their act "BACK" together again. I have not found it yet. I and a lot of other people are loosing hope. If your desktop revolution is simply made up of your hopes and dreams... and delusions, Ubuntu will not be moving forward.

I go back to my hole now to wait for the next version which I HOPE will be in the process of coming back to it's senses. You speak of dragging people into a mindset? I speak of dragging people out of yours.

Instead of complaining, and getting angry, what are your suggestions, now that Gnome 2 is no longer maintained. How would the gnome developers make thing better in your opinion.

cornflake000
October 17th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Instead of complaining, and getting angry, what are your suggestions, now that Gnome 2 is no longer maintained. How would the gnome developers make thing better in your opinion.

Putting my rant aside for a moment, and trying not to skirt your question or the subject of the thread, you are implying that the fact the Ubuntu vision for many of us has been hugely tarnished is the fault of Gnome decision makers? That's the only way I can read your question. It makes me unable to answer your question unless I know if my assumption of your comment is correct. If Gnome decision makers are the blame, then I owe the Ubuntu people a huge apology. Is it Gnome that is to blame? If Gnome has put the developers of Ubuntu in a predicament that they have to fight their way out of and this is what prospective Ubuntu users get out of it, then my anger is most certainly misdirected but my disappointment is unmoved. Then Gnome is solely to blame?

Then I guess a certain amount of hope for a fix that will bring us back to the stability and trust that Ubuntu once had is definitely in order, even if it's like a prayer. Look to the posts above this one for your answer then. There you find all the suggestions I can think of which also include a lot of dissatisfaction and some supplication.

Speaking outside of the rant again, sorry for the anger but I cannot remove it's intent. A voice.

BwackNinja
October 17th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Most the things I'm looking for are too lofty, contrary to Ubuntu's goals, or only relevant to upstream.

Everything else is just things I'm waiting on.
- Smooth window decorations for unity-window-decorator in compiz, just like in mutter (was delayed from oneiric to precise)
- Continue the migration from gtk2 to gtk3, hopefully get gtk2 off the cd
- Migration to python3
- A package for the default wallpapers where they have not been plagued by too much jpeg compression that conflicts/replaces the default package
- indicator support for the gnome3 fallback panel

marcmeier
October 17th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Mine would be to sort out the problems with the Intel GMA 4500MHD drivers...

The series has been around for some time now and having only 2D is a pain!

Derek Karpinski
October 17th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Please fix the settings menu. 11.10 took a major step back in setting up my machine compared to 11.04. Users and groups settings gone. Had to either use terminal, or install an extra package to get that back. Even after I installed it, the settings couldn't be found in the 'system settings' menu.

CCSM sucks, but it is required to do any tweaking on unity. Still, after I install it, I can't find it in the new 'system settings' page. I searching in the dash for the settings stuff is stupid if you proudly display the new 'cog', and expect to find all your settings there.

Make the launcher movable. I see only 2 options. Left side, and bottom. Should be easier now that the BFB is on the launcher itself.

New icon theme. The new software center icon is horrid.

Nautilus looks unfinished. There needs to be dividers between each of the different panels. Also, please move the back and forward arrows in nautilus to the left like EVERY web-browser does.

Overall, I think Unity is getting much better, but 11.10 took a step back in consistency of UI.

Just my $.02

wgarcia
October 17th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Derek, can the launcher be put at the bottom? How?

luvr
October 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM
You can get rid of it by uninstalling the package "indicator-appmenu" and reboot, this is the first thing I did when I installed 11.10 and 11.04.
Well, thanks! If I ever decide to try out Unity for real, then this step will certainly become a part of my installation and customisation procedure.

Come to think of it, it appears to me that, even though the Unity panel cannot be customised through the GUI, you can still decide which features you want on it by simply installing or uninstalling the corresponding “indicator” packages. Does there exist a “Weather Applet” indicator package, then? The weather applet is one of those silly little details that many seem to absolutely love.

wgarcia
October 17th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Weather and other indicators, at least for Natty, I haven't tried this for Oneiric:

http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/05/10-useful-application-indicators-for.html

luvr
October 17th, 2011, 01:31 PM
How would the gnome developers make thing better in your opinion.
But... Isn't Ubuntu moving away from GNOME? The way I understand it, the ultimate goal is to turn Unity into its own, independent desktop environment, and get rid of GNOME entirely.

In that regard, what the GNOME developers do, or do not do, to make things better, won't matter to Ubuntu, will it?

Even so, I have always found it a pity that GNOME has never included a more extensive “Regional Settings” dialogue—like what KDE has always offered. I keep finding it a little awkward that, if I choose English (United Kingdom) for my system language, then I have to use Pound Sterling (instead of Euro) as my currency, and I cannot customise things like date and time notation to my liking. Heck—I could do that even under Windows 95!

Gyokuro
October 17th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I hope you realize that "bloat" and "customizability" are closely related.

The included System Monitor is quite good. It doesn't give a numerical rating but that number to me seems a bit artificial and hard to judge. For instance, graphical performance in Linux is complex and there should be some preference for open source drivers and extra points if the drivers aren't late (as unfortunately it sounds like fglrx releases have been lagging behinid). Do you value pure performance or is power consumption important too?

Ok, but there are other alternatives which can used instead of an application where an additional runtime have to be installed. C# on Windows is ok and I bet Mono on Linux is somehow dead and it will be really great Ubuntu get rid of Mono and use an alternative which use libs which are already there. Clementine was mentioned and Rhythmbox is fine - less new releases can also speak for it's quality.

cariboo
October 17th, 2011, 03:58 PM
But... Isn't Ubuntu moving away from GNOME? The way I understand it, the ultimate goal is to turn Unity into its own, independent desktop environment, and get rid of GNOME entirely.

In that regard, what the GNOME developers do, or do not do, to make things better, won't matter to Ubuntu, will it?

Even so, I have always found it a pity that GNOME has never included a more extensive “Regional Settings” dialogue—like what KDE has always offered. I keep finding it a little awkward that, if I choose English (United Kingdom) for my system language, then I have to use Pound Sterling (instead of Euro) as my currency, and I cannot customise things like date and time notation to my liking. Heck—I could do that even under Windows 95!

I don't know where you heard that Ubuntu is going to drop gnome completely, but it isn't true. Ubuntu has always been and will be based on Gnome.

When Unity was first developed as a netbook interface, gnome-shell was still very pre-alpha, there were concerns that gnome-shell wouldn't be ready for use by the time Natty was released, so it was decided to do a complete rewrite of Unity, now we have more choice, there's Unity 2D & 3D, with gnome-shell and gnome-session-fallback easily install-able from the repositories.

Derek Karpinski
October 17th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Derek, can the launcher be put at the bottom? How?

Keeping on topic, and in the spirit of this thread. It was a suggestion that I would like to see in 12.04. I think it's impossible now.

FormatSeize
October 17th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I'd like to see new default themes. The current ones look rather dated nowadays. I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep the old ones around, but new defaults would be nice as opposed to having to add some obscure ppa to get themes that sometimes turn out looking damaged.

rene8
October 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I'd like an easy way to keep GUIs (any of them) in the older spirit (classic drop-down menus, no side-lauchers, no social-network integration or messaging, and no unnecessary graphic effects). Things should 'just work', right? not "work and look too-beautiful and annoy you with things that come out of nowhere"...

MAFoElffen
October 17th, 2011, 10:41 PM

Regards,
Effenberg
Did the same the last 4+ days... I expected that this would happen. For a while Saturday night, the Installations & Upgrades Forum seemed to average about 4 posts a minute... Still high volume.

Thinking back to natty and oneiric testing (and even previous), I thought about how we tested ISO images and LiveCDs, operation, functonality and installs. The Big Failure I see and I didn't really test myself, was if the upgrade process from one "version" to what we were testing and see if the prerelease was going to have problems doing a distribution upgrade. Is that something we need to spend time testing on for this LTS?

Another reoccurring problem is manually having to overcome the black screen / graphics lockup issue on installs and upgrades since 10.10. Can't logic be inserted in the installation process to check the GPU on istalls or the existance of an xorg.conf on upgrades?

I know these are not really "features." But they would surely make things easier for a new user just trying to get a release working for them if those kinds of things worked. I know Ubuntu is trying to take advantage of graphics hardware to make their distro look and work better... I know Ubuntu is getting real particular about "graphics." But it seems that the foundation for that needs to be solidified for that. Their target audience "is" new, basic to intermediate skilled user right? When helping these new users, I have to think to myself that what I am explaining to them to get this to work... Is that a skill level above that target audience?

madjr
October 18th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Did the same the last 4+ days... I expected that this would happen. For a while Saturday night, the Installations & Upgrades Forum seemed to average about 4 posts a minute... Still high volume.

Thinking back to natty and oneiric testing (and even previous), I thought about how we tested ISO images and LiveCDs, operation, functonality and installs. The Big Failure I see and I didn't really test myself, was if the upgrade process from one "version" to what we were testing and see if the prerelease was going to have problems doing a distribution upgrade. Is that something we need to spend time testing on for this LTS?

Another reoccurring problem is manually having to overcome the black screen / graphics lockup issue on installs and upgrades since 10.10. Can't logic be inserted in the installation process to check the GPU on istalls or the existance of an xorg.conf on upgrades?

I know these are not really "features." But they would surely make things easier for a new user just trying to get a release working for them if those kinds of things worked. I know Ubuntu is trying to take advantage of graphics hardware to make their distro look and work better... I know Ubuntu is getting real particular about "graphics." But it seems that the foundation for that needs to be solidified for that. Their target audience "is" new, basic to intermediate skilled user right? When helping these new users, I have to think to myself that what I am explaining to them to get this to work... Is that a skill level above that target audience?

I opened a new bug outlining all these upgrade problems and possible alternatives.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/876146

anyone interested please add themselves

thanks

effenberg0x0
October 18th, 2011, 12:55 AM
(This won't happen so soon - too big a change)

I'd like the installed to create a 3GB to 4GB partition and keep the default LTS packages in there. Much like modern Windows-based notebooks sometimes don't come with the installation CD anymore. If you need to recover the system, you run a command or press a button, the system mounts that partition and voila you have the OS install on screen.

To use that, grub would only have 4 entries:
-Default (Beautiful, Plymouth, highres fb, etc)
-Recovery / Maintenance (we all know)
-System reinstall / Reset to Defaults (Your personal files will be preserved!)
-Advanced (kernel versions, etc)

3rd one uses that partition I mentioned to reinstall the LTS, preserving non-config files at /home/*/* . Since it will not use USB, CDROM, NIC, GFX, etc, it can have extremely bulletproof parameters, like acpi=off, nousb, disable ehci, lowres vga, etc.

Normally (users goes with DEFAULT) the RESET partition is not mounted (is protected). But an app/command can also mount it and trigger system RESET without the need to boot/access Grub. Two ways to fix the system.

Regards,
Effenberg

MAFoElffen
October 18th, 2011, 04:12 AM
I opened a new bug outlining all these upgrade problems and possible alternatives.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/876146

anyone interested please add themselves
thanks
So far I'm one of two. I'll repost this on my sticky and to others on the I&U forum...

PaulInBHC
October 18th, 2011, 05:05 AM
CCSM

I'm posting on XP while I find a fix. I installed ccsm from software center, started from dash, clicked prefs. Desktop went away, can't get it back.

madjr
October 18th, 2011, 05:24 AM
CCSM

I'm posting on XP while I find a fix. I installed ccsm from software center, started from dash, clicked prefs. Desktop went away, can't get it back.

yea ccsm is like upgrading ubuntu, both look cute, but have potential to break a functional desktop...

cariboo
October 18th, 2011, 05:30 AM
CCSM

Unity probably got disabled, you can start ccsm in 2D and revert the changes you made.

PaulInBHC
October 18th, 2011, 05:35 AM
I didn't make any changes. I only clicked preferences. What I have read is that unity plugin is not enabled by default. I should be able to log in with unity 2d, run ccsm, check unity plugin and reset unity.

darkwalt
October 18th, 2011, 06:15 AM
new login sound please. The standard one has worn out its welcome.

effenberg0x0
October 18th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I understand this one is not easy but.... it would be nice to have the option to downgrade. We have tons of people with broken setups in the forums. Many ask how to revert the update and go back to $AnyUbuntuVersion.

But I think it is impossible in time for pp.

BwackNinja
October 18th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Btrfs snapshots anyone? Unfortunately that would not only require people to use btrfs, which is still considered unstable, but that would require them to _already_ be using btrfs...

ranch hand
October 18th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I understand this one is not easy but.... it would be nice to have the option to downgrade. We have tons of people with broken setups in the forums. Many ask how to revert the update and go back to $AnyUbuntuVersion.

But I think it is impossible in time for pp.
You might be interested in this;
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_emergency_downgrading

effenberg0x0
October 18th, 2011, 08:58 AM
You might be interested in this;
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_emergency_downgrading

Thanks, good info! I'll try to use it soon.

ChadMMc
October 18th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Actually have no real problems with the Unity with the exception of some small points.

1] Would love to have the screensavers be able to come back (I like my system to be pleasing to the eye even if I am not sitting at it for 20-30 minutes at times).

2] The ability to have gnotes treated like tomboy notes in terms of syncing with ubuntuone.

3] The ability to do a distribution upgrade off of a USB or CD drive. Had downloaded the LiveCD via torrent (just in case it was needed) and had burned it to a USB. Then had decided to do the update of the distribution instead of a clean install.. and it took hours actually downloading all the files again for it. (and the software sources does have a selection for CD's but no USB inages etc. and am not really sure if would be usable on a distribution upgrade as is. anyone know?

moorhead98
October 18th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Definitely fixes for the nvidia geforce go 7xxx drivers. Should have been fixed in oneiric, but annoyingly wasn’t.
Also theme customization.
Definitely DVD/MP3 codecs installed by default.
A new icon theme! Or just Faenza by default!

And the biggest of them all, software is updated in Ubuntu Software Center. How it is now is that you get software at one version, then a new version of it next Ubuntu release. It should be when the software is updated to a new version, it is updated in the store. Like on ppa's and in every other software/app/application store in the world

ventrical
October 19th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Actually have no real problems with the Unity with the exception of some small points.

1] Would love to have the screensavers be able to come back (I like my system to be pleasing to the eye even if I am not sitting at it for 20-30 minutes at times).

2] The ability to have gnotes treated like tomboy notes in terms of syncing with ubuntuone.

3] The ability to do a distribution upgrade off of a USB or CD drive. Had downloaded the LiveCD via torrent (just in case it was needed) and had burned it to a USB. Then had decided to do the update of the distribution instead of a clean install.. and it took hours actually downloading all the files again for it. (and the software sources does have a selection for CD's but no USB inages etc. and am not really sure if would be usable on a distribution upgrade as is. anyone know?

What!!??????

sudo apt-get install xscreensaver xscreensaver-gl-extra xscreensaver-data-extra

Hope this helps.

Have fun :)lol

Works great in Precise.

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/10/enable-screensavers-in-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot/

cariboo
October 19th, 2011, 04:02 PM

You can upgrade from the Live CD, see the screenshot.

I didn't look at the screenshot before uploading, but I'm sure you get the idea, if I had Natty installed, it would have asked if I wanted to upgrade from Natty to Oneiric.

jbicha
October 19th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Please fix the settings menu. 11.10 took a major step back in setting up my machine compared to 11.04. Users and groups settings gone. Had to either use terminal, or install an extra package to get that back. Even after I installed it, the settings couldn't be found in the 'system settings' menu.

CCSM sucks, but it is required to do any tweaking on unity. Still, after I install it, I can't find it in the new 'system settings' page. I searching in the dash for the settings stuff is stupid if you proudly display the new 'cog', and expect to find all your settings there.

Please file a bug against gnome-control-center with what specifically you need added to the User Settings panel and why these additions should be added to the default install. Additional settings add complexity so your request needs to be justified.

GNOME has locked down System Settings so that 3rd party developers cannot add their own panels. Ubuntu 11.10 has at least partially broken that lock....but I personally don't encourage users to use CCSM as it's too easy to completely break Unity and it's not intuitive how to fix it afterwards.

new login sound please. The standard one has worn out its welcome.

As the login sound has been outdated for quite some time, the current plan is to disable it by default for Pangolin. If no one complains and there isn't a better login sound, that's probably how it will stay. I think in the year 2011, a login trumpeting sound causes more annoyance than help, and startup is supposed to be fast anyway...

Downgrading is explicitly not supported. An option for a full-featured recovery partition sounds too ambitious for LTS. A major change like that would require a detailed specification of how it would work, how much longer install would take, etc.

kansasnoob
October 19th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I absolutely must be able to easily inhibit the screensaver/power-manager, and also adjust CPU frequency scaling like I did with two simple applets:

Power Manager Inhibit Applet

CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor

It's also nice to have a system temp display in the panel.

Ultimately I'm hoping for a gnome 2 fork ppa ;)

ranch hand
October 20th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Thanks, good info! I'll try to use it soon.
Please note the warnings and disclaimers on the page.

This really isn't something to do lightly. I have tried it, on Debian (squeeze to wheezy and back), and it worked on a clean install that was basically brand new and unmodified.

It might get someone back to a system working enough to fix. I don't think it should ruin data so that should still be recoverable.

Dangerous to do none the less. But, with luck it can be done.

PaulInBHC
October 21st, 2011, 03:30 AM
If I install software with the USC and then later uninstall it, why are there files and folders left all over the place? I know (I think lol) that I can use purge in a terminal but that makes me a bit nervous.

ranch hand
October 21st, 2011, 03:43 AM
If I install software with the USC and then later uninstall it, why are there files and folders left all over the place? I know (I think lol) that I can use purge in a terminal but that makes me a bit nervous.
Those files are either config files or files installed by other packages. Purge is the only way to get rid of them.

dFlyer
October 21st, 2011, 04:03 AM
put synaptic back as a default program. It's much more stable than Ubuntu Software Center. It would be nice to have evolution back as the default email program.

PaulInBHC
October 21st, 2011, 02:34 PM
Those files are either config files or files installed by other packages. Purge is the only way to get rid of them.

My point is that the casual user is going to add and remove freeware and bloat their system with leftover files. I know windows does this somewhat too.

On another topic, it seems that a majority of complaints about 11.10 are from people that do not realize that they can change things with Unity or that WAD but they haven't gotten use to it. Posters claim it is bugs/buggy when it is actually lack of 3D, drivers or unfamiliarity.

ubupirate
October 21st, 2011, 10:55 PM
The ability to select the default Unity mode (3D or 2D) to boot into after install/restart would be nice and save some time.

ranch hand
October 21st, 2011, 10:57 PM
Using the "mark for complete removal" option in Synaptic will do the trick just as well.

arpanaut
October 21st, 2011, 11:39 PM
The ability to select the default Unity mode (3D or 2D) to boot into after install/restart would be nice and save some time.

Say What? at the lightdm login hit the gear by the name and choose whatever,
That will become your default.

If you auto login then you are choosing to bypass this option and this is not the fault of the OS,
that's not something for the developers to correct.

ARooster
October 21st, 2011, 11:50 PM
When you open an instance of Terminal (I opened it to use it to open and use ALSA mixer) and you minimise it there is no way to bring it into the front in the ever so brilliantly thought out and magnificently designed Unity (and yes, I am being sarcastic). If you have a shortcut on the dock clicking it again will open a new instance. The only way I've found to close the additional instances of it is by opening System monitor and killing the instances of bash in the background as there is no way to bring them back to the screen. This needs to be fixed. Please don't answer me with a "there is a keyboard shortcut to bring the open instances of bash back to front" because I don't care, I can't be bothered to learn keyboard shortcuts for a GRAPHICAL user interface.

effenberg0x0
October 22nd, 2011, 12:06 AM
When you open an instance of Terminal (I opened it to use it to open and use ALSA mixer) and you minimise it there is no way to bring it into the front in the ever so brilliantly thought out and magnificently designed Unity (and yes, I am being sarcastic). If you have a shortcut on the dock clicking it again will open a new instance. The only way I've found to close the additional instances of it is by opening System monitor and killing the instances of bash in the background as there is no way to bring them back to the screen. This needs to be fixed. Please don't answer me with a "there is a keyboard shortcut to bring the open instances of bash back to front" because I don't care, I can't be bothered to learn keyboard shortcuts for a GRAPHICAL user interface.

I think theres something wrong with your setup. I have Terminal in my launcher. If I minimize it, or if it is hidden behind other window, if I click the launcher the previously opened terminal is brought up and focused. If I have two (or any number of) terminals open, they are both scaled and displayed side by side so I can choose the active one (Static Application Switcher). That happens for any application.

The only way it will open a new terminal instance is if I right click the terminal icon in the launcher and select "New Terminal". But I'll generally just use a new tab inside the same terminal.

You might want to work a little on your ccsm settings.

Regards,
Effenberg

ARooster
October 22nd, 2011, 12:24 AM
I've changed no settings. After a fresh install of 11.10 I've installed LXDE (which I am not currently using) and a few other programs through the Software Centre. This also doesn't happen with any other application. Okay, so I guess I should report this as a bug, I suppose.

cariboo
October 22nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
I've changed no settings. After a fresh install of 11.10 I've installed LXDE (which I am not currently using) and a few other programs through the Software Centre. This also doesn't happen with any other application. Okay, so I guess I should report this as a bug, I suppose.

Does Alt-tab allow you to cycle through the minimized applications?

zieglerj
October 22nd, 2011, 01:26 AM
Bump for return to Gnome.

cariboo
October 22nd, 2011, 01:29 AM
Bump for return to Gnome.

We are using gnome. If you mean gnome 2, it's not going to happen, as it isn't being developed any more.

TomLigg
October 22nd, 2011, 02:52 AM
I think that work needs to be put into a true Gnome 2.x fork so i can have my transparency back for panels that isnt insanely resource heavy.

isaacj87
October 22nd, 2011, 03:06 AM
I'd like to see the window controls (minimize, maximize, close) put back into the window when it's maximized.

Too many times, I'm working with a maximized window in the background and an unminimized in the foreground. Everything single time I want to get at the background window, I have to click to focus it first and then I can minimize. ](*,)

wgarcia
October 22nd, 2011, 05:36 AM
@issacj87:

sudo apt-get remove appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt

but you still will need the windows to get focused to be able to work with it.

isaacj87
October 22nd, 2011, 05:47 AM
@issacj87:

sudo apt-get remove appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt

but you still will need the windows to get focused to be able to work with it.

Thanks for the tip, but that only replaces the app menu from the panel back into the windows. I'm looking to get the window controls back.

JacobVengeance
October 22nd, 2011, 06:01 AM
From what I have seen and experienced Unity does not work well with netbooks and small screens. I would like that to be looked at and seen what could be done for small screens.

wgarcia
October 22nd, 2011, 06:23 AM
@isaacj87, and what about "focus follows mouse"?:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/64605/how-do-i-set-focus-follows-mouse

GlennLChugg
October 22nd, 2011, 12:45 PM
Some of the things that bug me about 11.10 are:

* HD Drives are light sleepers *
External USB HDD's go to sleep after their usual 15 minutes of inactivity but anything that populates a folder (including dialog boxes and all nautilus) will force the system to stop until they wake back up. their should be less pre processing on such events to allow the drives to stay asleep.

* Ctrl Alt Del *
Everyone knows what this is, everyone knows what it should do on your OS, Ubuntu should adopt opening the Task manager as default (save me from having to change it manually every release and it makes sense).

* Middle mouse to drag and drop *
This still makes me mess up when I go to use windows machines again, Ubuntu needs to allow right click/hold to drag and drop with options (much like center drag and drop does currently).

* Drive Usage / Free space *
Without having to install extra software or setup a widget, or drop back to the shell, it would be really nice if Nautilus would allow showing used/free space on each mount point, either visually or by entering properties for the mount point ANYTHING so I don't have to run something else to see if my large file transfer will fit on the destination or not.

* Unity needs to allow opening more than one nautilus from the Launch bar *
I've got a folder on my desktop, it's empty, the only use it has (and a lot) is for opening up a new window in nautilus seeing as the Launcher will only run one window then your unable to make any new windows with the launcher anymore.

* Unity/Compiz/Gnome speed for switching to full screen apps *
I am not sure if it is Unity Gnome or compiz, but one of them causes switching from window to full screen or back to window from full screen to take about 4 seconds to long. I made the Linux Mega Games Pack (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1858387) only to find the remaining issues I am having are caused by the new way games are allowed to go full screen.

* Pre mount NTFS *
This should be built in for NTFS drives, I have shortcuts on my desktop to NTFS drives and they are invalid until I manually open the drive. It would be good if Ubuntu could mount these for me without me having to spend time working with fuse etc to get them pre mounted.

* ISO Mounting in Nautilus Scripts *
I've been using Nautilus Scripts for years and I think it's time Ubuntu added the ability to mount ISO's run as Root open with GEdit and open terminal here as standard options in Nautilus context menus.

* System Properties *
Now that the settings screen is so good (finally), it's time some work on the System Properties is done, it would be good if it were in a more suitable place and listed not only the CPU, Memory, Support, OS Arch, but HDD Size information, Graphics Card make/model and other things like that. Perhaps make it use a customizable logo, for the support to place their own on.

* WINE and Non Categorized .desktop files *
Some of you may be aware that Unity ignores or doesn't show the titles for WINE and other apps you install where the .desktop file created doesn't have a category specified - there should be an other category, in fact the only .desktop files that should be ignored are the ones used to file associations.

* Built in HDD clone, backup(compressed)/restore tools *
Yeah getting your linux/ubuntu set up the way you want it does take many hours, it would be worth including a way to store this effort for future re-installs - even if you include a better relinux (Respin tool based on Remastersys).

* Better settings placement and Drive Icons Support *
Unity should have it's own settings in the System settings, at the moment they are spread out everywhere and the ones in CCSM are extremely handy to have on hand (for setting the size windows maximize themselves at, for hiding mounted USB disks on the launcher (I have 8 external drives) so I can't have them all having their own icon in the launcher (plus I can't tell what the hell each one is until I hover it - it's not adopting my Drives .ico or .png I place on the root of the drive).

* Crash recovery management *
At the moment if a game crashes while using 640x480 or even 320x240 your left with your desktop using that mode after a game crashes or if you alt-tab away from it. Also there is currently no way to terminate the active app and with no ctrl alt delete type enforcement of getting to your task manager in a reasonable resolution, your stuck trying to guess the processes name.

* System Processes Hidden in System Monitor *
You don't need to see these usually, it would be great if the user had the ability to hide processes or even a tab that only showed you processes with a Window/interface - the type that crash.

* Search Faster *
Better use of the journaled HDD's, it's about time we had instant search (check VoidTools - Search Everything for windows), now that is what you want a search to be like, no more waiting and praying, just instant results as you type. I understand you can't database every drive as they come and go, but you can reference the drive tables directly instead of spanning each directory recursively looking at each file name.

*Remove Image Viewer *
This app is useless, Shotwell's Viewer at least allows you to crop or rotate the image your viewing, long gone is the days of you just wanting to view an image anyway, we need a viewer that allows social uploading/sharing or even Ubuntu 1. BTW Shotwell loads faster than Image Viewer.

* Collapsible Devices / Computer / Network *
Nautilus really needs the ability to pin your own left hand linked items, but it also should allow you to collapse the existing items, I need to have my Windows pretty large to populate the list without needing to scroll, it makes sense if I can shrink the ones I don't need, that I should be able to. Also I have places I use every day that are not in the list ;)

* Rubbish Bin Launcher Icon *
This is great, BUT as I have stated before having HDD's sleeping will make it usless until it wakes up all the drives. Whats worse about this one is even if you click Empty Rubbish Bin from it's menu, it doesn't trigger the event, so you have to do it again after the drives start to spin up.

* Click Text to rename *
When you click the text in Nautilus not icon, if you do this twice slowly it would be nice to be able to rename like every other OS I use.

* Hover Item Details *
I noticed clicking items will give you details about the item(s) you've clicked, but sometimes you need info on more than one file, it would be nice to leave the clicked items details in place and offer information on an item you have hovered for a set-able time (default to 800ms?), just a tool tip type popup with size etc on it.

* Crop long path names in Nautilus *
I've noticed if you have an ultra long path "/home/Such as this path name as example" then it will push the back/next buttons off and it will not even show the location (it's just an empty gradient), resizing the window will fix the bug for now.

*** MAIN BUG ***
Nautilus Middle click/hold drag and drop is more unstable than a 90 Y/O with a broken hip. 4/5 Times I well end up with all the Naultilus windows dimming for ever :( having to close all my opened windows (I am a multi window / drag and drop person, only because Gnome Commanders default colors are so ugly and I get sick of changing them).

Sorry for such a long list, but I have recently switched from Modding windows full time to playing with Ubuntu :), so a lot of things I am noticing... still 11.10 has got me hooked - every Ubuntu before it has sent me back to windows (in fear), but this one is stable and usable enough that I don't need no stinking windows ;)

Good luck with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, I really hope that this thread gets forwarded to the devs who need to read it.

PS I didn't re-read it, so ignore my mistakes, you just need the bugs, not a novel quality post.

TREESofRIGHTEOUSNESS
October 22nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
I agree with the Nautilus defaults. I would really like the 'run as root' to be integrated into Nautilus. I am glad Ctrl-Alt-Del is the restart button (like it should be in all OS) You can always change your keybindings, and mod anything to your specs.

buzzmandt
October 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
Chromium the default browser for kubuntu

Gyokuro
October 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
I think that work needs to be put into a true Gnome 2.x fork so i can have my transparency back for panels that isnt insanely resource heavy.

it's already done: https://github.com/Perberos/Mate-Desktop-Environment

wdh61
October 22nd, 2011, 11:25 PM
Allow a choice between Unity and the Gnome Shell as the default Ubuntu desktop. I certainly don't like Unity, can't navigate it well, can't find what I'm looking for. Call me an old fart if you will. But my 16 year old son, who is used to navigating an iTouch can't figure out Unity, and had me install Gnome. This should tell the Unity dev team they missed. Badly. I'm not saying take Unity out of the Ubuntu install, just don't force it on me. Let me choose which desktop I want. Meanwhile, continue working on Unity. It certainly needs the work.

CaptainMark
October 23rd, 2011, 11:34 PM
i would like to see the blinking bluetooth work, gggrrrrr its confirmed as a gnome3 bug but if you want to transfer files using bluetooth to a phone it just doesnt work,

isaacj87
October 24th, 2011, 04:25 AM
@isaacj87, and what about "focus follows mouse"?:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/64605/how-do-i-set-focus-follows-mouse

Ahh, thank you! That's much better. :)

Is Mise
October 25th, 2011, 05:44 PM
This still makes me mess up when I go to use windows machines again, Ubuntu needs to allow right click/hold to drag and drop with options (much like center drag and drop does currently).

Thanks, never knew about middle-click drag.

Without having to install extra software or setup a widget, or drop back to the shell, it would be really nice if Nautilus would allow showing used/free space on each mount point, either visually or by entering properties for the mount point ANYTHING so I don't have to run something else to see if my large file transfer will fit on the destination or not.

If you right-click on a blank spot in Nautilus and select properties it'll tell you the amount of free space.

I've got a folder on my desktop, it's empty, the only use it has (and a lot) is for opening up a new window in nautilus seeing as the Launcher will only run one window then your unable to make any new windows with the launcher anymore.

Middle-clicking on a launcher launches a new instance of a program.

luvr
October 25th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I don't know where you heard that Ubuntu is going to drop gnome completely, but it isn't true.
I didn't mean to say that Ubuntu as a distribution would drop GNOME; what I meant was that, as I understand it, Unity is supposed to become an independent desktop environment that would no longer require GNOME. That, in no way, prevents Ubuntu from continuing to fully support GNOME.

It does appear that Ubuntu no longer uses GDM (the GNOME Display Manager—say, the login screen), but switched to LightDM instead. That, in itself, may be one small step towards lesser dependence (of the Unity environment) on GNOME.

JRV
October 25th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Lose the purple, it's ugly. I preferred the old earth tone wallpaper and themes. Don't copy Apple.

Hylas de Niall
October 25th, 2011, 09:50 PM
From what I have seen and experienced Unity does not work well with netbooks and small screens. I would like that to be looked at and seen what could be done for small screens.

Personally, I think Unity is very well suited to my own (1024x600) netbook display. What specifically are your concerns?
The only problems i get are with programs that are too large to fit comfortably on the screen - but that is no fault of Unity or Ubuntu.

rasmus91
October 25th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Unity improvements, i don't have specific ideas, as i think it's great. But im sure they can make it even better.

And then I'd really like to see some nVidia Optimus support...

CaptainMark
October 25th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Lose the purple, it's ugly. I preferred the old earth tone wallpaper and themes. Don't copy Apple.

i definitely agree, it looked better before, more unique but having said that the desktop background is something the nooist of noobs can alter easily, and once lightdm brings unique user login backdrops then the purple will quickly forgotten,

as to ubuntu moving away from gnome dependencies, it would be interesting to see but its a hell of a task to upkeep their own desktop environment, why would canonical do that when they can just use gnome3 and hide it with the unity interface as they are doing? is this confirmed or a rumour?

edit: also id like to see update manager be able to run as part of the shut down process, windows has been doing this since xp

tbbrightman
October 26th, 2011, 02:45 AM
I am a bit of a computer performance nut. Accordingly, I am an enthusiast of SSD technology as that fundamentally changes the performance tradeoffs in traditional virtual memory architectures and operating systems. Happily, the change militates FOR UNIX/Linux systems at the expense of MS systems.

From that perspective, support for SSD systems and especially SATA-III based systems is very much in your interest.However , it is nearly impossible to load a 'live' version of Ubuntu 11.10 on the leading SSD notebook (MacBookAir) AND most SATA-III motherboards. (These motherboards use the Realtek 8111e LAN chip which 11.10 does not support).

I enjoyed Ubuntu on my old netbook (Acer Aspire) but SSDs and the density of DDR3 DRAMs has made me move on. I'll gladly resume with Ubuntu when it embraces the new stuff.

cariboo
October 26th, 2011, 02:55 AM
edit: also id like to see update manager be able to run as part of the shut down process, windows has been doing this since xp

That is one of the things that really annoys me about Windows. When I shut my system down, I want it to shutdown now, not 15 minutes from now. The same when I start it up, I want to use my system when I start it up, not wait for updates to finish. BTW, I don't use update-manager, and I have basically disabled it.

shashanksingh
October 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Please put clementine as default. Its such a fine player...

Klau3
October 26th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Hi all

I really like Oneiric - the Launcher improvements!!! - and if I should describe it with one word, 'smooth' would be the word.

Since installing Oneiric last week I documented all kind of quirks and faults. Hopes this list is to some use to you and that some of the topics get discussed on the upcoming UDS-P - print/save this list and take it with you :)

The goal for the LTS is polish and to get all common actions done hustle free.

Here accrued points:

■ → Hot - Needs to be fixed - IMHO
■ → Medium - Should be fixed - IMHO
■ → Low - Would be nice if it would be fixed - IMHO

1. Dash

Dash seems alien to the rest of the system
Improve Dash search algorithm - Dash is e.g. not able right now to find German System Settings (called 'Systemeinstellungen' - two words written together) when writing only one part 'einstellungen' (mens 'settings' in German).
Dash speed is okay, but not fast (pressing SUPER and start writing should be possible)
Redesign Dash start menu (if we get some 'Dash Settings' place an icon there)
Change order of Dash headlines ('Most Frequently used'...) to under the icon → 1 key press down → marks first item - right now (Oneiric) 2 key presses are necessary to reach first Dash search result = unhandy.
Application Lens - Rename Scope 'Installed' to 'Apps' and remove all none useful applications from it → less cluttered = higher findability (move items like the system settings entries - not the icon itself - and 'shut down', 'Open JDK'...)
Add to Nautilus Launcher right click menu 'Start new Window' (seems to be a bug - can't find a ticket)
On Dash bottom the Lens icons need to show an info text when hovering them for some seconds
Double click on Dash window top bar should maximize/un-maximize (same behavior as other windows)
Add key to collapse/un-collapse Dash scopes
Define a key that when pressed down continuously will avoid closing of the Dash when Dash is open (SUPER would be nice, since its frank when Dash is active) → would allow to open multiple programs/files faster using the Dash
Add to Dash 'new [Doc,Mail...]' items - e.g. 'new mail' = new Thunderbird mail
Add 'Other' scope to app-lens and include there: new documen, mail... and restart, shut down...
Click on the Dash boarder closes the Dash → for the user = unexpectedly
Right bottom corner/the Dash boarder allows no resizing = unexpected = one reason why the Dash feels alien

2. Thunderbird

Change the default mail column sorting from 'oldest top' to 'newest top' (current appearance seems old style an is an UX misdeed)
When right clicking on a folder in Thunderbird main menu, the first menu entry should be 'Mark Folder Read'

3. Banshee

Move Banshee's 'Audiobooks' & 'Podcast' folders to ~/Music/{Audiobooks,Podcast} = cleaner home folder.
Start Banshee minimized when adding a song to it using Music Lens and Banshee was "off" before.

4. Ubuntu Software Center

Improve USC search algorithm - e.g search results are right now different when typing 'Conky' - 'conky' (tipping 'Conky' doesn't show the package 'conky')
Create a bunch of videos on how to use Ubuntu 12.04 and put them in the USC (+ Yelp - when video-how-to package is installed) and upload them on YouTube

5. Nautilus

When copping data to an usb drive that appears empty (but there are files still in the trash bin) the upcomming dialoge should not tell that there is not enough space → ask If the user wants to empty trash bin of the usb drive to be able to copy new data to it - if there is enough space.
Nautilus Samba shares doesn't work always (needs UX testing)
Make categories like 'Devices' in Nautilus collapsible
Change the 'File System' icon in Nautilus to something better distinguishable from the other icons
Redesign Nautilus right click menu → by fare too much entries!! No need e.g. for 'Revert to previous version' when not using Deja Dup at all...
Add nautilus-image-converter to default installation → solves a common problem for a lot of people
New devices should open in a new Nautilus tab when Nautilus is already running (optional - less clutter)
Add mouse 3 click & back/forward click actions to nautilus

6. UX (User Experience)

Reduce font and padding/margin size in default applications
Prevent file piling on the Desktop (old but visual very annoying bug)
A Window shouldn't intrusion visible into another workspace!
Deactivate touchpad when mouse is connected to the Laptop - I know, wishlist → please, please :)

7. Other

Make 'write metadata to files' default cfg option in Banshee & Shotwell (people expecting this)
Add 'Start service at login' option to Thunderbird & Empathy (a mail daemon would be so nice that checks for new mails → notification when new mail arrives)
Formating a USB drive is way to complicated and doesn't work often as expected (needs UX testing)
Set a fix position for the 'Applying changes' window above the 'Update Manager' (current state looks unprofessional)
Add to the device right click menu in the Launcher and Nautilus a menu entry that lets the user formate an drive easily (like the MS Windows one - sorry, but that is an easy one)
Clean up LibreOffice Writer UI (to much unused icons spamming the interface)
'Shotwell Viewer' as default image viewer (reason: has editing functions)
Add shortcuts to Gwibber (can't believe that there are none - no man page either)
Expand the 'Startup Applications' to be able to auto-mount partitions and open applications & files → see appended image (http://image-upload.de/image/tk0GyW/dad7cb0f55.png) (with an option to open programs minimized)
If no printer is detected the printing dialog should auto select 'Print to File' and PDF (reduces needed clicks)
Yelp ('Ubuntu Desktop Guid') should contain a list of 'most used'/'useful' shortcuts for all default applications.
Disk Utility needs a redesign
'System Settings → Screen' is complicated to understand for average users (needs UX testing)
Add shortcuts to control the sound indicator
New sound theme
Remove the user name from switch-user-indicator (UI looks cleaner)
Remove Tomboy (to complicated - power user can install it later) and LibreOffice Draw
Add option to 'mouse options' dialog to change mouse scrolling speed (very helpful when reading a lot)
Add all man pages to Yelp

8. New shortcuts suggestions:
Shortcuts are a good and easy way to enhance system usability for power users without disrupting the workflow of average users. All common actions should be reachable through shortcuts. The 'CTRL+ALT+[KEY]' combination should be used to start common actions (except CTRL+ALT+t = new Terminal) and SUPER+[KEY] to launch applications and interact with the Unity Shell.

CTRL+ALT+g = new Gwibber message
CTRL+ALT+m = new mail ('thunderbird -compose')
CTRL+ALT+n = new LibreOffice Writer text document ('libreoffice --writer')
CTRL+ALT+b = toggle Banshee playing ('banshee --toggle-playing' - launches Banshee when inactive before)

9. Proposals for UX-Tests:
Some system parts have just-to-work in user point of view and USB drive formating and sharing files over an local network are some of them. Both topics have never really worked smoothly (for me and others I talked to) → to complicated. Formating a USB drive is a common action. 'Disk Utility' has - and ask when formating - to much questions and comes with an cluttered interface = not average user friendly.
Same for Samba. When creating a share and checking the guest box often it is not possible to access the files of the other persons computer. Network sharing is a very common task that has just-to-work. No normal user understands smb.conf.

Here the tests I purpose:

USB drive formating

Ask participants to formate an USB drive

Samba

Ask participants to copy some data - Internet or from USB drive - to the download folder and share it over the network (using Samba)
Ask participants to copy data from other participants to there download folder

Hope the pointed topics are relevant and useful to you.

Greetings
Thibaut

Conclusion:

Jan Moren (https://plus.google.com/105059362788808645801):
"As a developer I have to say I really like Unity. It's great at getting out of the way and give me more screen real estate for my work. As someone said on /., our desktops really are nothing but app launchers after all. What matters most is how well it gets out of the way, and Unity is good at that."

ranch hand
October 27th, 2011, 08:45 PM
that is one of the things that really annoys me about windows. When i shut my system down, i want it to shutdown now, not 15 minutes from now. The same when i start it up, i want to use my system when i start it up, not wait for updates to finish. Btw, i don't use update-manager, and i have basically disabled it.
+1

danniel
October 29th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Just one thing: ALT+TAB back to how it was before.

- it should only show windows from the current desktop (what's the point of having multiple desktops with the current functionality of ALT+TAB? I may as well keep everything in one desktop).

- it should focus on windows, not on apps. If you use more than a window per application, then the current ALT+TAB is useless. No, I don't want all terminals brought into foreground; I only want a certain window! (Yes, I know I can do this by wasting 3 seconds per switch and hitting a couple of extra keys... a real productivity improvement[/sarcasm]).

The window positioning shortcuts are great (CTRL+ALT+NumPad), but ALT+TAB is even worse than useless. Basically I can't do development on (default) Ubuntu anymore.

Try this:

- use the first desktop for development by opening a browser window, a couple of terminals, a file manager window
- use the second desktop for other tools, ie: a SFTP client for uploading files, a terminal to the remote server
- use the third desktop for procrastination: a web browser window, VLC media player, messenger window

Now use ALT+TAB to switch between work windows from the first desktop. It's a real joy, isn't it? :( This setup works perfectly in 10.04, but now it's impossible to use.

ranch hand
November 1st, 2011, 03:25 AM
Some of the things that bug me about 11.10 are:

* HD Drives are light sleepers *
External USB HDD's go to sleep after their usual 15 minutes of inactivity but anything that populates a folder (including dialog boxes and all nautilus) will force the system to stop until they wake back up. their should be less pre processing on such events to allow the drives to stay asleep.

* Ctrl Alt Del *
Everyone knows what this is, everyone knows what it should do on your OS, Ubuntu should adopt opening the Task manager as default (save me from having to change it manually every release and it makes sense).

* Unity/Compiz/Gnome speed for switching to full screen apps *
I am not sure if it is Unity Gnome or compiz, but one of them causes switching from window to full screen or back to window from full screen to take about 4 seconds to long. I made the Linux Mega Games Pack (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1858387) only to find the remaining issues I am having are caused by the new way games are allowed to go full screen.

* Pre mount NTFS *
This should be built in for NTFS drives, I have shortcuts on my desktop to NTFS drives and they are invalid until I manually open the drive. It would be good if Ubuntu could mount these for me without me having to spend time working with fuse etc to get them pre mounted.

* ISO Mounting in Nautilus Scripts *
I've been using Nautilus Scripts for years and I think it's time Ubuntu added the ability to mount ISO's run as Root open with GEdit and open terminal here as standard options in Nautilus context menus.

* System Properties *
Now that the settings screen is so good (finally), it's time some work on the System Properties is done, it would be good if it were in a more suitable place and listed not only the CPU, Memory, Support, OS Arch, but HDD Size information, Graphics Card make/model and other things like that. Perhaps make it use a customizable logo, for the support to place their own on.

* WINE and Non Categorized .desktop files *
Some of you may be aware that Unity ignores or doesn't show the titles for WINE and other apps you install where the .desktop file created doesn't have a category specified - there should be an other category, in fact the only .desktop files that should be ignored are the ones used to file associations.

* Built in HDD clone, backup(compressed)/restore tools *
Yeah getting your linux/ubuntu set up the way you want it does take many hours, it would be worth including a way to store this effort for future re-installs - even if you include a better relinux (Respin tool based on Remastersys).

* Better settings placement and Drive Icons Support *
Unity should have it's own settings in the System settings, at the moment they are spread out everywhere and the ones in CCSM are extremely handy to have on hand (for setting the size windows maximize themselves at, for hiding mounted USB disks on the launcher (I have 8 external drives) so I can't have them all having their own icon in the launcher (plus I can't tell what the hell each one is until I hover it - it's not adopting my Drives .ico or .png I place on the root of the drive).

* Crash recovery management *
At the moment if a game crashes while using 640x480 or even 320x240 your left with your desktop using that mode after a game crashes or if you alt-tab away from it. Also there is currently no way to terminate the active app and with no ctrl alt delete type enforcement of getting to your task manager in a reasonable resolution, your stuck trying to guess the processes name.

* System Processes Hidden in System Monitor *
You don't need to see these usually, it would be great if the user had the ability to hide processes or even a tab that only showed you processes with a Window/interface - the type that crash.

* Search Faster *
Better use of the journaled HDD's, it's about time we had instant search (check VoidTools - Search Everything for windows), now that is what you want a search to be like, no more waiting and praying, just instant results as you type. I understand you can't database every drive as they come and go, but you can reference the drive tables directly instead of spanning each directory recursively looking at each file name.

*Remove Image Viewer *
This app is useless, Shotwell's Viewer at least allows you to crop or rotate the image your viewing, long gone is the days of you just wanting to view an image anyway, we need a viewer that allows social uploading/sharing or even Ubuntu 1. BTW Shotwell loads faster than Image Viewer.

* Collapsible Devices / Computer / Network *
Nautilus really needs the ability to pin your own left hand linked items, but it also should allow you to collapse the existing items, I need to have my Windows pretty large to populate the list without needing to scroll, it makes sense if I can shrink the ones I don't need, that I should be able to. Also I have places I use every day that are not in the list ;)

* Rubbish Bin Launcher Icon *
This is great, BUT as I have stated before having HDD's sleeping will make it usless until it wakes up all the drives. Whats worse about this one is even if you click Empty Rubbish Bin from it's menu, it doesn't trigger the event, so you have to do it again after the drives start to spin up.

* Click Text to rename *
When you click the text in Nautilus not icon, if you do this twice slowly it would be nice to be able to rename like every other OS I use.

* Hover Item Details *
I noticed clicking items will give you details about the item(s) you've clicked, but sometimes you need info on more than one file, it would be nice to leave the clicked items details in place and offer information on an item you have hovered for a set-able time (default to 800ms?), just a tool tip type popup with size etc on it.

* Crop long path names in Nautilus *
I've noticed if you have an ultra long path "/home/Such as this path name as example" then it will push the back/next buttons off and it will not even show the location (it's just an empty gradient), resizing the window will fix the bug for now.

*** MAIN BUG ***
Nautilus Middle click/hold drag and drop is more unstable than a 90 Y/O with a broken hip. 4/5 Times I well end up with all the Naultilus windows dimming for ever :( having to close all my opened windows (I am a multi window / drag and drop person, only because Gnome Commanders default colors are so ugly and I get sick of changing them).

Sorry for such a long list, but I have recently switched from Modding windows full time to playing with Ubuntu :), so a lot of things I am noticing... still 11.10 has got me hooked - every Ubuntu before it has sent me back to windows (in fear), but this one is stable and usable enough that I don't need no stinking windows ;)

Good luck with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, I really hope that this thread gets forwarded to the devs who need to read it.

PS I didn't re-read it, so ignore my mistakes, you just need the bugs, not a novel quality post.
Ran my Debian testing update/upgrade cycle today and got an update for "ntfs-3g". Had the option presented to me during installation of the upgrade for including it in init.

So, coming sometime should be the ability to mount ntfs partitions at boot.

GuidoCalvano
November 6th, 2011, 12:26 AM
The reason I left Ubuntu a long time ago is the lack of excellent software. For software development and basic OS stuff ubuntu is by far the best OS out there. And yes I say that as a Mac user (sorry I sold my soul to the devil, I know).

For work stuff I really need to be able to use and create MS office files. To my knowledge LibreOffice and OpenOffice are still lacking at that.

I also really like making music. For that I need software comparable to GarageBand and Logic. And what I am looking for is not software with features. On the contrary. The less features I don't use anyway, the better. They have to be easy and practical.

For 3D modeling, it seems that maya runs on linux right? Blender was just too much work to learn.

And can I run VM Ware?

GuidoCalvano
November 6th, 2011, 12:28 AM
I am posting this stuff about software on the feature page of the next release because I think Canonical should not focus too much of its capital on the operating system anymore. I think they should devote their funds/developers on improving the user experience of ubuntu software.

vidtek
November 6th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I) Partitioning menu on install, after doing a custom partition layout, have a totally new screen for the installation drive choice of the grub drive.

I have found after going back and making further changes to the layout, the boot location always reverts back to drive 0. This has caught me on several occasions.

2) Scrap the unity experiment - it's horrendous, or maybe just use it as another option for tablets rather than the default desktop.

3) Include everything that is required for a build on the cd and available as an install option, why do we still have to go hunting for headers, source, build-essential etc etc. It's positively primitive, and not a slick experience as Ubuntu should now be. If you have an esoteric network card not natively supported by the kernel (ie. an RTL 8168 card), there is no way you can get the system up and running as there is no internet connection.

Each iteration of Ubuntu gets better and I for one appreciate everyone's hard work, thanks a lot guys.

Tony.

gsmanners
November 6th, 2011, 01:17 AM
FWIW, here's the list of stuff I want fixed:

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7367
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/+source/lightdm/+bug/816700
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vte/+bug/864609

cariboo
November 6th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Moved off topic posts to the Unity Megathread

MiThRaZoR
November 6th, 2011, 03:33 AM
These are small stuff.

1. But I liked it in Natty when you pressed tab after searching for something in the Dash. That it went to the icons. Now tab changes the lenses.

2. Also, just pressing the button for opening the search dash (windows key), doesn't open it. Just shows the the side bar. With the numbers on them. I'd like it to how it was in Natty. Just one tap, and I can search.

3. One last thing, I hope they make it QUICK. From Natty to Oneiric, the OS as a whole slowed down. Takes longer to open files and folders, longer to boot/shut down. Etc.

Other than that, I'm a happy camper. :D

shashanksingh
November 7th, 2011, 05:40 PM
rar be installed as default?

effenberg0x0
November 7th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I'd like all installed apps to have pre-created shortcuts in the launcher. To avoid the cluttering in the low part of launcher, it would have to allow for more columns of icons. It should be at least as large as the dash, occupying 30% to 50% of the screen width. Auto-hiding the launcher is a waste of resources and precious time, so I would drop the auto-hide option.

Basically the most important thing would be for the launcher to have the same width as the dash. It looks unbalanced in the current design.

kansasnoob
November 8th, 2011, 12:33 AM
I'd like all installed apps to have pre-created shortcuts in the launcher. To avoid the cluttering in the low part of launcher, it would have to allow for more columns of icons. It should be at least as large as the dash, occupying 30% to 50% of the screen width. Auto-hiding the launcher is a waste of resources and precious time, so I would drop the auto-hide option.

Basically the most important thing would be for the launcher to have the same width as the dash. It looks unbalanced in the current design.

Wouldn't that involve 4 or 5 columns of icons in the launcher :confused:

Derek Karpinski
November 8th, 2011, 12:47 AM
If Ubuntu sticks with Thunderbird, it should support MS exchange OOTB.

effenberg0x0
November 8th, 2011, 01:10 AM

Probably more depending on the monitor dimensions and resolutions. I was counting here that with about 12 columns with 24 icons each, I can make my launcher have the same width as my dash. Of course, someone has to code to allow for multicolumn launcher and remove the auto-hide option, as well make the dash show permanently in the desktop.

Another thing that would be cool: What if the first thing we see on the dash was not 8 shortcuts, but an embedded video window constantly looping through artists video clips and interviews? It would generate revenue while providing extended fun.

effenberg0x0
November 8th, 2011, 01:13 AM

Probably more depending on the monitor dimensions and resolutions. I was counting here that with about 12 columns with 24 icons each, I can make my launcher have the same width as my dash. Of course, someone has to code to allow for multicolumn launcher and remove the auto-hide option, as well make the dash show permanently in the desktop.

Another thing that would be cool: What if the first thing we see on the dash was not 8 shortcuts, but an embedded video window constantly looping through artists video clips and interviews? It would generate revenue while providing extended fun.

Another option I've been thinking to avoid the problem with the dash being glued to the left side of the screen while some want it on the right, some want it horizontally on the bottom, some want it on top, some want it gone, etc. What if the launcher bar kept moving across the screen, from left to right, right to left, top to bottom, bottom to top, slowly, like a black bar in the image of a broken TV?

Maju
November 9th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I want to be able to easily have:

1. A distinct top bar with unfolding menus with all kind of apps nicely sorted (of course customizable by drag and drop). Optionally even mini-icons of your favorite apps can be there for quick click instead of having them all through the desktop or the frustrating Unity sidebar.

2. A distinct bottom bar (or equivalent) where I can see the minimized or hidden apps and click on them easily.

3. Windows that are distinct from the top bar.

At least as options.

Wait, I think I'm talking of the old Gnome system... uh?

TDK800
November 9th, 2011, 02:31 PM
* Ability to easily add shortcuts to the Unity Launcher. It's easy for some applications, but for others (e.g. gnome-calculator), though the icon appears on the launcher while the application is running, it doesn't give the option to permanently add it there.

* Smart Print Queue link - if there are items in the printer queue, a link for "Print Queue" in the main menu under "Printers" should appear, for quick and easy preview and/or cancellation of print jobs gone bad.

* Ability to make the Unity global notification messages disappear by clicking on them. Currently when notices pop up, one has to wait for them to disappear to click something that got hidden under them.

* Easier repository adding,removing, and management... e.g. ppa links on launchpad.net could be clickable and bring up an confirmation box to add these repositories.

* #1 Request: Include Gnome Commander (Unity Commander?)! After FireFox, this is the most used application for me to do day-to-day tasks.

* Include Firewall software with GUI, e.g. FireStarter.

TDK800
November 9th, 2011, 02:36 PM
* Full Disk Encryption option for the normal (non-alternative) install.

23dornot23d
November 9th, 2011, 05:52 PM
What all the general users have asked for ......

1 Customization and moving of the dock to all 4 places other docks go to

2 an additional icon on application windows to easily switch global menus on in the app window.

3 for dual screen the drop down application menu similar to cardapio on the secondary screen .....

You probably already know about these ..... but I just though I would try one more time
to get the obvious across.

cariboo
November 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM
What all the general users have asked for ......

1 Customization and moving of the dock to all 4 places other docks go to

2 an additional icon on application windows to easily switch global menus on in the app window.

3 for dual screen the drop down application menu similar to cardapio on the secondary screen .....

You probably already know about these ..... but I just though I would try one more time
to get the obvious across.

I actually wanted to address your post in the other thread, but forestpiskie closed it before I had a chance to, and I didn't want to abuse my mod powers by posting in a closed thread.

see so many USERs wanting to get there points across to the developers and in shear frustration of the threads closing or being moved into the recurring discussions never to be seen again ........

I ask you one question ...... do you believe by sweeping everything under the carpet
and forgetting about users that are trying to help get the best results from this you
are doing UBUNTU any justice as the leading Distro .....

As you well know, the forum is not the place to address these types of concerns, as the developers don't have the time or inclination to read the forums on an hourly basis.

We are not sweeping those comments under the carpet, it's just that we get so many complaints from other members about seemingly identical threads, that Recurring is the best place for them. In most cases the original poster of the thread is informed that posting in the forum isn't going to do much good, and we provide links to the best place to get their comments heard, from there, it's up to the individual.

recluce
November 10th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Give us a choice of desktop environments, preferably during installation/upgrade of the system:

Unity 3D
Unity 2D
Gnome 3
MATE (Gnome 2 fork)

MATE and Gnome 3 can actually coexist on one system, even though MATE is still a bit rough currently.

Please don't try to lecture me that I can install alternative DEs at any time later on - I am well aware of this. But the average NEW Ubuntu user does not know this or might be intimidated by the process.

And no, I am not asking for Unity to be dropped down a deep well, even though I would like that personally. :P

jbicha
November 10th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Give us a choice of desktop environments, preferably during installation/upgrade of the system:

That will never happen. Ubuntu has always had the core value of opinionated defaults (which distinguishes Ubuntu from Debian which is quite a bit more neutral). Instead of giving users the option to choose Evolution or Thunderbird, one app is picked as the default for the CD and base install. Users have always had the ability to install additional apps that they like and the Ubuntu Software Center makes this even easier. The same goes for desktop environments.

A very early workaround was Kubuntu which was simul-released with Ubuntu's second release since KDE was not going to be an option on the live CD or in the installer. Although you personally like choice, a new Ubuntu user gets overwhelmed by having to make too many decisions as the decisions seem, and basically are, permanent and the new user will never have enough information to decide which is the right answer.

As I commented on the main MATE thread, MATE is the wrong approach and will never see widespread adoption. (The right answer is contributing to make gnome-panel 3 awesome instead of singlehandedly trying to maintain an entire desktop.)

recluce
November 10th, 2011, 05:52 AM
That will never happen. Ubuntu has always had the core value of opinionated defaults (which distinguishes Ubuntu from Debian which is quite a bit more neutral). [...] Although you personally like choice, a new Ubuntu user gets overwhelmed by having to make too many decisions as the decisions seem, and basically are, permanent and the new user will never have enough information to decide which is the right answer.

This is an assumption that everybody repeats like parrots. Ubuntu concentrates so much on the "new" users that they loose the established ones. Which shows, looking at the #2 ranking on distrowatch.

An intelligent installer could simply offer a "graphical" window to choose and set a default for those users that don't want to bother.

However, I agree that it is extremely unlikely that a choice like that will ever be offered. (Even though "upgrading" an unsuspecting user from Gnome 2 (10.04 LTS) to Unity (12.04 LTS) is a bit like hijacking.)

As I commented on the main MATE thread, MATE is the wrong approach and will never see widespread adoption. (The right answer is contributing to make gnome-panel 3 awesome instead of singlehandedly trying to maintain an entire desktop.)

You are entitled to your opinions. Looking over at Mint (#1 distro according to distrowatch), they decided to actually do both: Mint Gnome Shell extensions to make Gnome 3 look a lot like an evolved Gnome 2 (this will be default), but MATE will actually be offered too - for the completely unchanged Gnome 2 feeling. And yes, "standard" Gnome-Shell will be available, too. Personally, I am happy that MATE exists and wish them well.

reduz
November 10th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I
As you well know, the forum is not the place to address these types of concerns, as the developers don't have the time or inclination to read the forums on an hourly basis.

Which leaves me wondering, how else do developers get feedback such as user concerns or criticism?

I really, really want to believe that somehow Ubuntu developers listen to their users.. even though more and more I get the impression that they don't.

effenberg0x0
November 10th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Which leaves me wondering, how else do developers get feedback such as user concerns or criticism?

I really, really want to believe that somehow Ubuntu developers listen to their users.. even though more and more I get the impression that they don't.

I believe that, in theory, developers do read launchpad for the project they are working on. This is already a lot of work: There are always a zillion bug reports and opinions expressed at each Launchpad. And they probably get some feedback forum mods and trusted members eventually.

cariboo
November 10th, 2011, 08:38 AM

There are so many different ways to communicate with the developers, besides the forum, that you'll have to tell us what you want and need, before we can suggest where you go. For starters, check IRC, and the many mailing lists.

As an aside, you are posting in the wrong thread again. Check the name of the thread, and either post on topic, or start a new thread.

Edit And to add something more, these wishlist types of threads will be moved to the Cafe, once the serious breakage starts. :)

Seb71
November 10th, 2011, 08:59 AM
It is time (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=85777) to fix the Floppy Drive. Still not working 6 years later, in Ubuntu 11.10. Great that we have dancing icons instead.

cespinal
November 10th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I want to see KDE being the default desktop.

*puts flame retardant glasses

cbanakis
November 10th, 2011, 09:25 AM
It is time (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=85777) to fix the Floppy Drive. Still not working 6 years later, in Ubuntu 11.10. Great that we have dancing icons instead.

I fixed my floppy about 15 years ago, by removing it, and throwing in a camp fire.

cbanakis
November 10th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I think that gnome shell should be the standard again.

Unity is cool, but I don't like having it rammed down my throat.
It would make a great optional add-on dock.

But I would be happier with the gnome shell like in 10.04, while having the option to add Unity to gnome shell, NOT replace it.

I am also still completely in love with 10.04 NBR for my Eee PC.
Probably the single greatest os ever designed for a net-book.

So to summarize.

I think the ultimate amazing Ubuntu release should have it all.

During install, it could ask...

"What Is Your Preferred Flavor Of Ubuntu?"
1. Install Unity Desktop
2. Install Gnome Shell
3. Install Gnome Shell With Unity Dock
4. Install Net-Book Remix *

Gnome Shell should have a better name though.
Just calling it (Standard Desktop) or (Classic Desktop) would be much more user friendly.

Seb71
November 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I fixed my floppy about 15 years ago, by removing it, and throwing in a camp fire.
Did you had in 1996 a PC capable to boot from a CD?

cbanakis
November 10th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Did you had in 1996 a PC capable to boot from a CD?

um....
Yes
Windows 95 CD was bootable
Actually, I still have the CD, LOL

Seb71
November 10th, 2011, 10:07 AM
um....
Yes
Windows 95 CD was bootable

I do not think that this is true. Give it a try if you say that you still have the Win95 CD.

LarsKongo
November 10th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Port as many GTK2 apps as possible to GTK3. CSS styling is way better than that old gtkrc.

Gatemaze
November 10th, 2011, 11:07 AM
A stable system which covers a wide range of users (gnome3, unity, maybe still gnome2, etc.). Obviously there will be issues which hopefully will be resolved by July... I think in the past the LTS releases have been a success, still using 10.04 on my main systems.

Gatemaze
November 10th, 2011, 11:37 AM
But what I would really like to see is 10.04 (best OS) to be extended for another three years :).

TDK800
November 10th, 2011, 03:56 PM
* In network manager "edit connections", the possibility to select multiple connections at a time from the list for deleting.

* In network manager the possibility to disable automatically connecting to new found wifi spots. E.g. currently using mobile internet, but when it finds a random wifi spot, it sometimes connects to the wifi spot and switches connection over to the wifi (which is usually slower and unsecure).

TDK800
November 10th, 2011, 04:04 PM
* iPhone tethering "Personal Hotspot" support. Currently users have to manually install "ipheth-utils" to be able to use iPhone as modem using USB cable.

vasa1
November 10th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I just came across this (courtesy tlu):
http://igurublog.wordpress.com/downloads/script-sandfox/

It reminds me very much about a "security" program that kept me safe when using the internet on MS Windows. I wonder if the Ubuntu team could look at its inclusion in 12.04.

Lars Noodén
November 10th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I just came across this (courtesy tlu):
http://igurublog.wordpress.com/downloads/script-sandfox/

It reminds me very much about a "security" program that kept me safe when using the internet on MS Windows. I wonder if the Ubuntu team could look at its inclusion in 12.04.

AppArmor already can put applications into sandboxes. I'd like to see it be able to restrict network connections, too, like systrace does.

Derek Karpinski
November 10th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Encrypted /home that works with Samba.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ecryptfs-utils/+bug/277578

recluce
November 10th, 2011, 07:45 PM

Excuse me for being blunt, but this is a less than intelligent comment. Do most users need a floppy? Of course not. However, there are special applications where you still need one, for example: older machines that still work well, would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to replace - and communicate with the outside world by floppy disk.

Also, there is the principle: if an OS supports floppies, they should work as expected. Otherwise, support should be removed.

BHEJU
November 10th, 2011, 10:37 PM
HDMI Audio.

seeker5528
November 10th, 2011, 11:50 PM
An intelligent installer could simply offer a "graphical" window to choose and set a default for those users that don't want to bother.

The only real payoff in providing that is that the user could then choose what they want installed, leave, come back and have it all installed.

To select software during installation and install everything at once versus install the OS, select additional software, install selected software, I would expect time wise to be pretty similar.

I think that gnome shell should be the standard again.

For it to be standard *again* would require that it had been standard at some point in the past.

Later, Seeker

BillyBoa
November 11th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I would like to see Ubuntu in a DVD instead of a CD. It's a nightmare for a beginner to install all these programs. Like Gnome tweak tools, Compiz Config, Ubuntu restricted (of course like an option) etc.

cariboo
November 11th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I would like to see Ubuntu in a DVD instead of a CD. It's a nightmare for a beginner to install all these programs. Like Gnome tweak tools, Compiz Config, Ubuntu restricted (of course like an option) etc.

Are you sure you're using Ubuntu? Installing packages is easier here, than with most other distributions.

BTW there has been a dvd available for several years, it gives you the option of using the Live CD, or the alternate install on one disk.

effenberg0x0
November 11th, 2011, 01:14 PM
HDMI Audio.

Are you running into some hardware specific issue? I have a HTPC at home, now running on Oneiric, connected via HDMI cables to 2 TVs. Audio is normal in both cases, even for high definition audio. The HTPC uses two NVidia GT9500. This is working out-of-the-box for me on Ubuntu for years. I connected the motherboard spdif header to the cards using cables like this: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CBSPIDIF2&cat=MBB

Alsa / pulseaudio is able to create independent audio output channels for each one when both are reproducing different content simultaneously. Maybe this part required some fiddling to setup, can't remember what I did exactly, but as far as I remember it was the only audio-hdmi-related relevant issue.

effenberg0x0
November 11th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I would like (in no specific order):

1) An easy GUI interface (gnome-control-panel) that would have the following options:

Save, load the following options as profiles (e.g. normal session, debug session, etc)
- Completely disable / re-enable / customize Plymouth
- Customize visuals / disable visual customizations of Grub
- Enable / disable grub options to always show on boot, respect/not respect holding shift on boot, show / not show recovery boot as an option (although not bulletproof, are valid security measures, to some degree)
- Define / activate / deactivate grub boot / kernel parameters
- Enable / disable a working console framebuffer (should evaluate compatibility to current VGA and not simply throw in one of the currently blacklisted FBs).
- Console FB customization / enable / deactivate FB

2) A clear console message when X tries to load on Vt7 and fails. Users report system stuck on "checking battery" and other unrelated messages, unaware their system tried to load X and failed.

3) A bulletproof X fallback: stripped X session, dialog saying that it is running on VESA, a terminal and a browser.

4) A working Compiz dbus plugin.

5) Port of CCSM to gnome-control-panel

6) Image + text + explanation of what a Unity, Classic, Gnome-Shell session is on the right portion of lightdm / greeter. Clear advise to NOT RUN a hardware accelerated session depending on the results of unity-support-test (or similar tool) ran on background. Future extension to provide "experience index", much like windows does.

7) Better performance on dash search. Right now it's not so much an issue of the search method, but of the system loading / sizing / displaying icons at each pressed letter. I'm seeing it cause some hiccups in slower machines.

8) GUI (gnome-control-panel) interface to deal more clearly with alternatives (java, etc)

9) GUI (gnome-control-panel) for ufw

10) Better integration of Thunderbird, Lightening, Address Book, instant messaging, indicator-datetime-service, indicator-message-service, including google services, and a VoIP softphone.

11) Faster development of Wine in the sense of fully supporting the Win32 API. It's too focused on enabling games and games workarounds right now, while many people want to be able to run Win32 applications on desktop. VMs are heavy on laptops. Working and native Win32 code execution would be amazing. Right now it's too buggy for professional use.

12) Improvements to acpi, considering buggy BIOSes exist and there are workarounds (as windows implements). Bulletproof booting / suspending / hibernating / poweroff. Faster hibernate / poweroff.

I know these ideas won't be made into PP or any time soon as there's no real demand for many of these requests, there are other critical things in development and there are workarounds and third part programs that deal with these aspects to some extent.

JRV
November 11th, 2011, 04:03 PM
When I am at home I plug an ethernet cable into my laptop. The wireless keeps trying to connect and I keep getting a message telling me that the wireless is disconnected. Can this be changed so I only get the wireless disconnected message once after log-in. Or if the wireless becomes disconnected. Then if I want to try to connect I will do it manually. Also the message displays for a long time, one to two seconds would be enough.

If you turn off global menus you lose the global menu for the desktop. It should be possible to show the global menu for the desktop and not for normal windows.

effenberg0x0
November 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
When I am at home I plug an ethernet cable into my laptop. The wireless keeps trying to connect and I keep getting a message telling me that the wireless is disconnected. Can this be changed so I only get the wireless disconnected message once after log-in. Or if the wireless becomes disconnected. Then if I want to try to connect I will do it manually. Also the message displays for a long time, one to two seconds would be enough.

If you turn off global menus you lose the global menu for the desktop. It should be possible to show the global menu for the desktop and not for normal windows.

That's weird. I don't use a laptop anymore but I'm pretty sure the behavior for the last two releases of Ubuntu was to accept the connection of eth0 and stop wpa supplicant and wireless messages. Maybe your eth0 card is not being managed by network-manager?

JRV
November 11th, 2011, 04:38 PM
That's weird. I don't use a laptop anymore but I'm pretty sure the behavior for the last two releases of Ubuntu was to accept the connection of eth0 and stop wpa supplicant and wireless messages. Maybe your eth0 card is not being managed by network-manager?

This is happening in oneiric. It happens on all three laptops where I have installed oneiric. I am using the standard network manager that is installed in oneiric.

PaulW2U
November 11th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I want to see KDE being the default desktop.

Well that's not going to happen! :D

I would like to see more recognition of the other desktop environments in this forum though, i.e. KDE, Xfce and LXDE.

Since this thread now seems to be just about Ubuntu, I'd like to see better Unity stability. For reasons not relevant here, I've had to remove Ubuntu 11.10 from my third hard drive for the time being but before I did it became quite unstable. Just changing a few settings in CCSM can still cause Unity to crash and present a user with no top panel or launcher. :(

seeker5528
November 11th, 2011, 10:35 PM
3) A bulletproof X fallback: stripped X session, dialog saying that it is running on VESA, a terminal and a browser.

If xdiagnose (http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/x/xdiagnose/xdiagnose_1.6/changelog) (continuation/successor to bulletproof-X) needs a fallback, you probably have to skip X all together and go for VC plus

http://screenshots.debian.net/screenshots/e/elinks/6163_large.png (http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/elinks).

Later, Seeker

cbanakis
November 12th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Excuse me for being blunt, but this is a less than intelligent comment. Do most users need a floppy? Of course not. However, there are special applications where you still need one, for example: older machines that still work well, would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to replace - and communicate with the outside world by floppy disk.

Also, there is the principle: if an OS supports floppies, they should work as expected. Otherwise, support should be removed.

Hey, relax fella.
Just a silly joke.

However, floppy's are EXTREMELY outdated.
And though there are a few people out there who still use them, I am sure there are far more pressing matters.

Needs of the many.

keithpeter
November 12th, 2011, 02:58 PM
+1 for tab completion search in dash

I have a lot of files...

ballantony
November 12th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Move the menu bars from the top of the screen and put them back on the individual windows. It's a long way to move a mouse on a big screen and the thing that most annoys me about Unity, and I'm really warming to Unity.

Glenn nl
November 12th, 2011, 05:44 PM
-Replace Gwibber with Pino
-Replace EOG with Viewnior
-Replace Gedit with Leafpad
-Replace Empathy with Pidgin

All these apps are bloated and should be replaced with small good quality apps.

CaptainMark
November 13th, 2011, 12:16 AM
your forgetting space, how will you fit all these extra dm's on a live cd, not forgetting, gnomeshell comes with a fallback mode too your talking about putting 5 of them on the live cd, talk about overwhelming the new user

keithpeter
November 13th, 2011, 09:23 PM
-Replace Gedit with Leafpad

Must beg to differ about this one. Gedit provides a good range of plugins, has syntax highlighting, and has the ability to capture the output of external commands. I think it adds value over the lighter editors but stand to be corrected.

I do not have enough experience with the other applications to comment.

effenberg0x0
November 14th, 2011, 12:11 AM
The leafpad mention was probably a joke.

TerryNewton
November 14th, 2011, 08:10 AM
What I'd like to see in 12.04...

Nothing too different desktop-wise than what's in the alpha alpha...
I don't use Unity but it's fairly easy to reconfigure it to support my needs - a functional panel with a decent app menu and window list (gnome-panel or lxpanel or whatever), and files, directories, launchers and symlinks on my desktop. Nautilus presently works fine for the desktop, even in Unity and Gnome Shell - it's missing the create launcher option and as another poster mentioned, it can no longer associate to arbitrary targets - but I already have satisfactory workarounds for these things (a Nautilus script for making launchers and if I need file associations I can run Thunar or PcManFM). Trying to make a traditional-style desktop session without Nautilus' desktop functionality would be difficult.. at that point might as well run XFCE or LXDE (which thankfully, I can). If Nautilus stays like it is (or merely improves) then that's great, but that's probably an upstream decision - if upstream monkeys too much with it then I hope it gets pinned to a version that works.

For Unity... even though it's not my thing, it's nice for simple users and potentially reduces support calls so I think an improvement would be in the dash, eliminate the "see x more results" extra useless click in the installed applications list, just make that the default. Not sure the apps available for download section should be there at all but if at the bottom of the app list then I guess it does no harm, actually kind of useful but the rating thing doesn't seem to do anything and the "All" button functions like it was a More button. And fix the bugs... needs to be rock-solid with no glitches (once I had a momentary hang when trying to launch another instance, and when I clicked on the help icon in the dash to make sure I had my terminology right, nothing happened, had to click it again). Polish it up, make it rock. I have friends who need it.

Finally, I'd like to see a Plymouth that doesn't need tweaking with some systems to make the boot and shutdown splash screens work (disclaimer - anything past 10.04 I've only run in VirtualBox, where I usually have to fix it by adding FRAMEBUFFER=y and GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX lines to the appropriate files.. but also had to fix 10.04 running on both my machines, basically the same way). Others have covered plenty of other low-level stuff but anything that can be solved by simply installing something that's needed to do something is not a bug.

That's it, looking forward to a great LTS release. And a pleasantly bumpy ride messing around with the dev versions.

effenberg0x0
November 14th, 2011, 12:56 PM
What I'd like to see in 12.04...

Nothing too different desktop-wise than what's in the alpha alpha...
I don't use Unity but it's fairly easy to reconfigure it to support my needs - a functional panel with a decent app menu and window list (gnome-panel or lxpanel or whatever), and files, directories, launchers and symlinks on my desktop. Nautilus presently works fine for the desktop, even in Unity and Gnome Shell - it's missing the create launcher option and as another poster mentioned, it can no longer associate to arbitrary targets - but I already have satisfactory workarounds for these things (a Nautilus script for making launchers and if I need file associations I can run Thunar or PcManFM). Trying to make a traditional-style desktop session without Nautilus' desktop functionality would be difficult.. at that point might as well run XFCE or LXDE (which thankfully, I can). If Nautilus stays like it is (or merely improves) then that's great, but that's probably an upstream decision - if upstream monkeys too much with it then I hope it gets pinned to a version that works.

For Unity... even though it's not my thing, it's nice for simple users and potentially reduces support calls so I think an improvement would be in the dash, eliminate the "see x more results" extra useless click in the installed applications list, just make that the default. Not sure the apps available for download section should be there at all but if at the bottom of the app list then I guess it does no harm, actually kind of useful but the rating thing doesn't seem to do anything and the "All" button functions like it was a More button. And fix the bugs... needs to be rock-solid with no glitches (once I had a momentary hang when trying to launch another instance, and when I clicked on the help icon in the dash to make sure I had my terminology right, nothing happened, had to click it again). Polish it up, make it rock. I have friends who need it.

Finally, I'd like to see a Plymouth that doesn't need tweaking with some systems to make the boot and shutdown splash screens work (disclaimer - anything past 10.04 I've only run in VirtualBox, where I usually have to fix it by adding FRAMEBUFFER=y and GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX lines to the appropriate files.. but also had to fix 10.04 running on both my machines, basically the same way). Others have covered plenty of other low-level stuff but anything that can be solved by simply installing something that's needed to do something is not a bug.

That's it, looking forward to a great LTS release. And a pleasantly bumpy ride messing around with the dev versions.

I agree with Plymouth improvement. Doing many installs of Oneiric, since alpha to current, and now PP, few are the cases in which it works as expected. In VMs, I can't get it to work properly using VMWare or VirtualBox.

Somewhere in the posts above I had suggested some place in the system settings to enable/setup/disable Plymouth, FB and grub options. I think it would be a good option as it would help newbies, which sometimes aren't skilled enough to search information, locate, learn and apply workarounds to these.

I don't believe they will add anything like that to LTS though, if ever. I don't think we'll see any significant change in LTS from what we have now in terms of GUI settings, customization, stuff added to gnome-control-center, or anything like it. It seems like this cycle is now focused on bug fixing, which is OK.

ranch hand
November 16th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I doubt there will be much work on Plymouth this cycle at all. Too much else to work on.

Hopefully it will get some love next cycle.

effenberg0x0
November 16th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I doubt there will be much work on Plymouth this cycle at all. Too much else to work on.

Hopefully it will get some love next cycle.

Agreed, definitely not a priority. I wonder if it's developers ever got to test it right, in a reasonable number of machines. Seriously, I may be extremely out of luck, but it's very rare for me to see the thing working out of the box.