PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new to linux cant install

foty123
October 13th, 2011, 06:39 AM
hello all
i am sick of windows so i want to move to linux , but i got problems .

i have downloaded this : ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso
i got a notebook , Okitec 450
in the bios i can choose to boot from USB.

i have mounted Ubuntu onto a DOK with 2GB , with the programs :
usb creator
unetbootin
No error's here.

i restarted the pc , went to the bios , switch the boot priority to usb first , restarted again
and i got this message : "No bootable device , please restart "

i dont want Dual-boot i want only ubuntu in my notebook and i cant figure this out , im very new to linux never had linux , so please help me

thanks allot
foty123

MARP1961
October 13th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Does it have a CD/DVD drive (or have you one you can plug in via USB)?

If you have this option, then just burn the iso image with suitable CD burning software. One you have done this you will have a bootable CD. Make sure your netbook is set to boot from this device first.

I know that in Ubuntu you can create a bootable 2GB flash drive but I'm not sure how you do this in Windows (I'm sure someone here will know).

Incidentally, if you wait until later on today you can download the latest (and some say the best so far) release Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot.

MARP1961
October 13th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Oh by the way, make sure you have created reinstall/recovery disks for your Windows operating system. You really do need a means of reinstalling Windows if you change your mind! I would recommend setting up a dual-boot until you have gained experience using Linux.

Gbeattie
October 13th, 2011, 09:35 AM
hi.
did you create a bootable usb stick or did you simply copy the iso file to the usb stick?

G.

MARP1961
October 13th, 2011, 10:11 AM
There are full instructions on how to create a bootable USB or CD on the Ubuntu downloads page. Check this out:
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

foty123
October 13th, 2011, 02:09 PM
hello again
i dont have a cd/dvd drive at all .
i follow the instruction's , i didnt copy the ISO to the DOK i used program's for that (see first post) .
and you know what ill make it dual boot , you are right , but how i do dual boot i still got this problem

thanks again
foty123