PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Ritchie died...

Thewhistlingwind
October 13th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Wow...

https://plus.google.com/u/2/101960720994009339267/posts/ENuEDDYfvKP?hl=en

docbop
October 13th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Great loss the creator of C and co-inventor of Unix.

Thank you Dennis for all your creativity that has challenged and inspired us and will continue to.

trinux_bc
October 13th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Really too bad, he did so much for computing, he was a giant.

trinux_bc

Thewhistlingwind
October 13th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Great loss the creator of C and co-inventor of Unix.

Thank you Dennis for all your creativity that has challenged and inspired us and will continue to.

Yup, I guess Dennis himself ended up as just another casualty of Unix lossage. ;)

susenj
October 13th, 2011, 05:23 AM
R.I.P. Dennis Ritchie!

schauerlich
October 13th, 2011, 08:10 AM
return EXIT_SUCCESS;

lisati
October 13th, 2011, 08:12 AM
return exit_success;

+1

effenberg0x0
October 13th, 2011, 10:02 AM
You have probably already read it somewhere. Half or K&R (Dennis Ritchie) is gone. For me it definitely eclipses the joy about Ubuntu new release in some way. This image below, linked from some other page, is probably the saddest HelloWorld ever :( Computers, Linux, Ubuntu, apps, etc - Nothing would be the same without his influence.

Best tweet was: "His pointer has been cast to void *; his process has terminated with exit code 0."

Since we have the release of Ubuntu today, maybe Ubuntu people might do some tribute to him? I bet all developers would approve that. A small mention in Ubuntu.com, etc.

RIP.

http://blog.andreacolangelo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/650x364xritchie.png.pagespeed.ic.Q_1XaaU0fR.png

ssam
October 13th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I guess everyone who has used computer in the passed 30-40 years is using something created by Dennis Ritchie. There is a good chance the code running in you printer, TV, phone, digital camera and microwave is written in C.

alphacrucis2
October 13th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Sad news indeed. Someone made a post about this in the community cafe.:cry:

Evil-Ernie
October 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Its been a sad week for Computer Science :(

I learnt BASIC first and got frustrated with its limitations, then I studied C and later C++ and felt like a proper programmer then!

I would say that he was instrumental in making computers advance the way they have, without C and Unix modern computing would be hard to imagine.

RIP Dennis Richie

amjjawad
October 13th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I have studied C Language in University but at that time, didn't pay much attention to it. When I started using Linux and I came to know many if not most of the applications are made with C, I feel so sorry that I didn't invest more time to learn everything about it and use it.

I guess I'll do that even though I hate programming.

Rest In Peace, Dennis :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Ritchie

themaheshrs
October 13th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I have created a "tribute" page for my "superhero of computing". Please visit it and like it: http://facebook.com/dennismritchie.

amjjawad
October 13th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I have created a "tribute" page for my "superhero of computing". Please visit it and like it: http://facebook.com/dennismritchie.

Like!

Johnb0y
October 13th, 2011, 12:02 PM
r.i.p. Dennis ritchie!

+1

ade234uk
October 13th, 2011, 01:51 PM
What better way for a tribute to him, is if you typed his name in to the terminal you got some information about what he achieved, or does that sound really stupid?

I knew nothing about him, until I saw the link on here.

TeoBigusGeekus
October 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Now that's a REAL loss...
R.I.P. your excellency...

TheShadowFog
October 13th, 2011, 04:29 PM
"When Steve Jobs passed away last week, people said that he had changed computing forever and called him one of the greatest inventors since Thomas Edison. I don't know whether or not this is true, but I can say with 100% certainty that this is a perfect description of Dennis Ritchie.
I can only hope that 100 years from now, when schoolchildren are taught about the great inventors of the digital age that somewhere in every gradeschool history textbook is a section about Ritchie and Thompson. They deserve no less." - (Reddit)

R.I.P Dennis Ritchie
:(

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/admin_mourning.png

effenberg0x0
October 13th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I'm sure his legacy will remain. Although we have an almost infinite number of books on C and programming in general, K&R is still used by many students. If not as the "bible" on the language, at least as an historical reference of its foundations.

Chame_Wizard
October 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM
C++ rules thanks to him and Admiral Grace Hopper.:popcorn:

standingwave
October 13th, 2011, 05:35 PM
The 'R' in K&R...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e1/Kr_c_prog_lang.jpg/220px-Kr_c_prog_lang.jpg
RIP.

ki4jgt
October 13th, 2011, 10:28 PM
RIP Ritchie

lewisskinner
October 13th, 2011, 11:25 PM
RIP to a true pioneer. Sadly missed.

matt_symes
October 13th, 2011, 11:34 PM
now that's a real loss...
R.i.p. Your excellency...

+1

decoherence
October 13th, 2011, 11:40 PM
One of the most, if not the most influential man in the computing world. And he gained that influence through a purely intellectual avenue -- by creating a solid, portable language that anybody could use.

Thank you, DMR! Peace be with you!

Gremlinzzz
October 14th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Most of you who follow the tech industry have likely heard of the passing of computer programming icon Dennis M. Ritchie (also known as dmr) on October 8 at the age of 70. While it could be argued that Linus Torvalds is more famous in today's world than Dennis Ritchie, it's quite safe to say that there wouldn't be a Linux without Dennis Ritchie.

R.I.P

zacktu
October 15th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I have a Unix Programmer's Manual (June, 1974) that arrived with the disks when my university got a copy of UNIX for our PDP 11/45. Along with the manual was an insert explaining how to set up UNIX on a PDP 11/45. Here's the last paragraph of the insert:

If you would like to share any UNIX compatible software with others, please let us know about it. If you find bugs in the software or the documentation, again let us know. And finally if you need any help that we can provide we'll do all we can.

Good luck.
Ken Thompson
Dennis Ritchie

SpEcIeS
October 15th, 2011, 03:03 AM
A huge loss.

amjjawad
October 15th, 2011, 01:28 PM
while it could be argued that linus torvalds is more famous in today's world than dennis ritchie, it's quite safe to say that there wouldn't be a linux without dennis ritchie.

r.i.p

+1

matt_symes
October 15th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Only #29 responses ?

The man was a genius.

Windows, Linux and Mac ----- C?.

EDIT: I am not sure what to make of this ?????

TeoBigusGeekus
October 15th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Only #29 responses ?

The man was a genius.

Windows, Linux and Mac ----- C?.

EDIT: I am not sure what to make of this ?????

Say no more mate, say no more...:-|

matt_symes
October 15th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Say no more mate, say no more...:-|

:(:(:(

Quadunit404
October 15th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I had never heard of him until now, but upon researching him I can see he too had a considerable impact on IT. Another terrible loss for us all. Many applications and operating systems today were written using C and without him, Unix (and therefore OS X and the Unix-like Linux) wouldn't exist. This hasn't been a good month for computing :(

May he get some well-deserved rest.

matt_symes
October 15th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I had never heard of him until now, but upon researching him I can see he too had a considerable impact on IT. Another terrible loss for us all. Many applications and operating systems today were written using C and without him, Unix (and therefore OS X and the Unix-like Linux) wouldn't exist. This hasn't been a good month for computing :(

May he get some well-deserved rest.

(mostly written in C.......)

Windows was written in C.
Ubuntu was written in C.
Linux was written in C.
Mac was written in C.
Even the firmware for my router was written in C.

Genius is as genius does!

Thewhistlingwind
October 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Only #29 responses ?

The man was a genius.

There are many geniuses that live and die every day.

Of them, not one in 10000 will have as much impact as Dennis Richie.

A living legend has departed, and no one even knows his name...

amjjawad
October 15th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I used to hate reading until Linux has changed this fact in me. I don't know how? it just did.
I have studied C in University but I don't remember I have heard about Dennis Ritchie. However, I'm very much aware that there are many Operating Systems and Programs written in C.

I agree with my friend Matt. This guy is a genius and I'm glad I have used that language one day and I will do my best to learn more about it as soon as I have some time which I don't now.

haqking
February 25th, 2012, 10:28 AM
OK so i did search but couldnt find this posted.

I came across this video this morning with a great song revamp ;-)

Write in C, Write in C, Write in C

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4YRPdRXKFs&feature=related

Gremlinzzz
February 25th, 2012, 03:52 PM
R.I.P

Dennis Ritchie

Linuxratty
February 25th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Such Sad news...He made the world a better place though.

kevdog
February 25th, 2012, 11:19 PM
When I first head the title to this thread I thought it said Denise Richards died!! That would have been a shocker.

MisterGaribaldi
February 26th, 2012, 07:31 AM
When I first head the title to this thread I thought it said Denise Richards died!! That would have been a shocker.

Actually, this would be a Shocker:

http://www.twistedtease.com/images/uploads/shocker_LRG.gif