PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to linux, internet connection problems

NewbieJames
October 12th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Hi,

I'm new to linux and have just bought a new laptop that I have installed 11.04 on.

I can connect to my wireless router no problem at all, however, when I try to load webpages things go fine but about 2 - 5 seconds is stops loading, and the only way to fix it is to reload the page. When downloading the download will pause after a few seconds, and the only way to get it started again is to pause and un pause the download, this happens constantly, and is very frustrating for downloads over a few MB. The longest period of uninterrupted download i've go has been ~30 seconds.

Can anyone explain why this is happening? The wireless signal is usually 3 out of 4 bars strong. The same thing happens even when I sit right next to the router.

Thanks,

James

Sergius14
October 13th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Well, could be many things, and 11.04 was not a very happy release.

Today/Tomorrow is going to be out 11.10 and the new kernel could have help you.

If I were in your case (a new Ubuntu user) I definitely try from scratch with 11.10.

Regards,

NewbieJames
October 14th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Hi,

I've now got ubunutu 11.10 and I still get the same problem.

I have tried several internet speed checking websites and the speed needle shoots up to about 15mb/s and moves drastically between 0 and 15mb/s. The needle will also stop, and the progress bar will stop too, and the only way to get it going again is to refresh the page.

I've googled this problem and there seem to be quite a few posts asking about similar problems, but as of yet I haven't found one with a solution yet. Can anyone help at all? Is there an inbuilt firewall or something similar I can disable to see if that helps?

Thanks,