PDA

View Full Version : programming question

coreyscx
October 12th, 2011, 12:29 AM
can i use libre office to program in c++ then save as a .cpp file or is there something close to notepad++ on linux (i dont want to use an ide) and whats the command to compile on ubuntu using gcc (mingw) is it still g++ filename.cpp -o filename.exe?? obviously change the .exe to something else being its not windows but what?..

11jmb
October 12th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Any text editor will do the trick. gedit and emacs do syntax hilighting for C and many other languages

and yes, the simplest way to compile c++ in Ubuntu is g++

for other compiler options consult the man page

a general thread-use note: please try to use a more descriptive title for the thread such as "c++ text editor".

karlson
October 12th, 2011, 04:43 AM
can i use libre office to program in c++ then save as a .cpp file or is there something close to notepad++ on linux (i dont want to use an ide) and whats the command to compile on ubuntu using gcc (mingw) is it still g++ filename.cpp -o filename.exe?? obviously change the .exe to something else being its not windows but what?..

You could do this but why use a tank to put a nail in?

There are quite a few alternatives for text editors, emacs, vi, gvim, gedit, kate.

If you want to you can take a look at Eclipse, code::bloks, Anjuta for IDEs

Vaphell
October 12th, 2011, 05:19 AM
is it still g++ filename.cpp -o filename.exe?? obviously change the .exe to something else being its not windows but what?..

whatever you wish, in linux any file can be marked as executable. File names don't carry any weight here, executable bits do. More often than not programs don't have any extension - just like in /usr/bin where tons of programs reside.

DarkAmbient
October 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM
+1 on gedit. Comes with Ubuntu, got syntax highlighting, you can enable line rownumbers and automatic indentation. It also has lots of plugins you can enable.

Compile in terminal, I use gcc.

First cd (change dir) to your .cpp file

cd path/to/folder/containing/the/file

build with

gcc file.cpp -lstdc++ -o appname

then run your app in terminal using

./appname