PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Remastersys is Dead. UCK doesn't work anymore.

oldtimer777
October 11th, 2011, 11:03 PM
UCK is strangely available in the partner repositories for Ubuntu 11.10 (beta 2) but since Ubuntu 11.10 no longer comes with Synaptic Package Manager on the downloadable ISO that UCK menu requires, that also means UCK is no longer customizable without Synaptic Package Manager on the default with Ubuntu 11.10 image.

Today I read that Remastersys, perhaps the greatest and best Ubuntu Backup and Distro maker application (scripts) is dead. This one open source Ubuntu utility is something I have installed on every version of Ubuntu I have used since I started using Ubuntu. When you deploy Ubuntu on new user systems for a living, it was a god-sent applicaiton that allowed me to make a pre-loaded version of Ubuntu that I could isntall from a USB live stick in less than 20 minutes. It would hit the ground running and new users didn't have to do a thing to use and enjoy Ubuntu. Remastersys is no longer available to install from Frag's old repositories, and I am searching for a viable alternative. His web site says "forks" of Remastersys exist. Well, I can't find any today. And I just tried each one of them too. This is not good...

I just want to take my existing system like I could with Remastersys, that I already have configured, and with all the packages I need (including PPAs, and repo entries and keys) and create a distro with it as easily as I could with Remastersys. This is critical for me to deploy Ubuntu on end-user systems when required. (which is something when you do this for a living is around 2 or 3 times a day)...

I'm starting to get frustrated with how more and more Ubuntu's design is behaving more and more like a proprietary OS, in the way it is customizable and without Remastersys I might as well use Debian if I have to always start from scratch each time I install Linux on a new computer. Why rebuild Ubuntu for hours and hours, and I can rebuild Debian from scratch for hours and hours without Remastersys equivalent? Sigh..When you do this for a living, and do multiple installations of Ubuntu per day, the lack of support for Remastersys really disheartens me from using Ubuntu as my prefered choice of Distros out there to freelance support end-user fresh operating system installations.. I don't like Arch, because I install Linux on newbie end-user systems, and that requires more support for them to maintain it and use it initially than Ubuntu. So I don't need that either.

UCK looks like it might have worked, and it is located in the partner repos for Ubuntu 11.10 beta 2, but without the Synaptic Package Manager on the Ubuntu 11.10 *.iso files I download from Ubuntu directly to get it to open them, and customize them, there is no customization option that works from the UCK menu. You need to include Synaptic on Ubuntu 11.10. Why would you remove the old way new users can change their third party repositories without having to go to the terminal command line to do it?

Basically system engineers and pc technicians like me, are stuck spending 200 minutes completely building Ubuntu 11.10 (and beyond) from scratch, and Remastersys would do it for me in less than 30 minutes from installation, configuration, and the eventual ISO burn to USB LIVE stick. I was done in less the 30 minutes each time Ubuntu would roll out a new Ubuntu release. It was perfect. And now remastersys is gone. Ugh.

I'm not happy. I'm going to Debian soon if I have to spend 200 minutes everytime installing Ubuntu on someone's computer for them. What is the difference?

Signed,

(read my synopsis here TL;DR users out there)

Stuck at 10.10 with my Remastersys made clone sticks with no way of going forward into Ubuntu 11.10 without spending 200+ minutes each time Ubuntu releases a new version of its operating system. UCK is no longer functional in Ubuntu 11.10. It runs but without Synaptic Package Manager it is no longer usable. My end-users aren't competent enough with Linux to use Arch either, as a alternative to making my customizable version of Ubuntu to distribute them.. I just don't have that kind of time either, and neither do new users to Linux... And I might as well use Debian from now on to do my installations for end-users, if I have to do everything manually for them by hand each time I do a new installation of Linux. I'm so disappointed that nobody at Ubuntu development appreciated Remastersys for the role that it plays in system engineers lives here in the new-user deployment aspect of Ubuntu. It is mission critical. Maybe they don't realize this. I don't know. And I really don't like the gumball machine software center either. New users don't know what they need to install to have a comparable running Windows or Mac-like system either.. It just confusing. More exclusive. Less flexibility. Now I am beginning to understand why user other engineers like me were warning me off of Ubuntu about 2-3 releases ago. I just got ___ big time. I hope you listening developers. As have several hundred other technicians that needed to do what I do for new users of Ubuntu Linux. What a pain in the ____. I'm taking my new users to Debian without a Remastersys fork that does that task for me. I don't have the time to bother with Ubuntu anymore if nobody cares here at Ubuntu about freelance engineers like me. You are my OS of choice for installation but I don't need this hassle either.

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Frogs Hair
October 11th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Here is a similar project . http://re-linux.sourceforge.net/

inameiname
October 12th, 2011, 06:47 AM
UCK is strangely available in the partner repositories for Ubuntu 11.10 (beta 2) but since Ubuntu 11.10 no longer comes with Synaptic Package Manager on the downloadable ISO that UCK menu requires, that also means UCK is no longer customizable without Synaptic Package Manager on the default with Ubuntu 11.10 image.

Today I read that Remastersys, perhaps the greatest and best Ubuntu Backup and Distro maker application (scripts) is dead. This one open source Ubuntu utility is something I have installed on every version of Ubuntu I have used since I started using Ubuntu. When you deploy Ubuntu on new user systems for a living, it was a god-sent applicaiton that allowed me to make a pre-loaded version of Ubuntu that I could isntall from a USB live stick in less than 20 minutes. It would hit the ground running and new users didn't have to do a thing to use and enjoy Ubuntu. Remastersys is no longer available to install from Frag's old repositories, and I am searching for a viable alternative. His web site says "forks" of Remastersys exist. Well, I can't find any today. And I just tried each one of them too. This is not good...

I just want to take my existing system like I could with Remastersys, that I already have configured, and with all the packages I need (including PPAs, and repo entries and keys) and create a distro with it as easily as I could with Remastersys. This is critical for me to deploy Ubuntu on end-user systems when required. (which is something when you do this for a living is around 2 or 3 times a day)...

I'm starting to get frustrated with how more and more Ubuntu's design is behaving more and more like a proprietary OS, in the way it is customizable and without Remastersys I might as well use Debian if I have to always start from scratch each time I install Linux on a new computer. Why rebuild Ubuntu for hours and hours, and I can rebuild Debian from scratch for hours and hours without Remastersys equivalent? Sigh..When you do this for a living, and do multiple installations of Ubuntu per day, the lack of support for Remastersys really disheartens me from using Ubuntu as my prefered choice of Distros out there to freelance support end-user fresh operating system installations.. I don't like Arch, because I install Linux on newbie end-user systems, and that requires more support for them to maintain it and use it initially than Ubuntu. So I don't need that either.

UCK looks like it might have worked, and it is located in the partner repos for Ubuntu 11.10 beta 2, but without the Synaptic Package Manager on the Ubuntu 11.10 *.iso files I download from Ubuntu directly to get it to open them, and customize them, there is no customization option that works from the UCK menu. You need to include Synaptic on Ubuntu 11.10. Why would you remove the old way new users can change their third party repositories without having to go to the terminal command line to do it?

Basically system engineers and pc technicians like me, are stuck spending 200 minutes completely building Ubuntu 11.10 (and beyond) from scratch, and Remastersys would do it for me in less than 30 minutes from installation, configuration, and the eventual ISO burn to USB LIVE stick. I was done in less the 30 minutes each time Ubuntu would roll out a new Ubuntu release. It was perfect. And now remastersys is gone. Ugh.

I'm not happy. I'm going to Debian soon if I have to spend 200 minutes everytime installing Ubuntu on someone's computer for them. What is the difference?

Signed,

(read my synopsis here TL;DR users out there)

Stuck at 10.10 with my Remastersys made clone sticks with no way of going forward into Ubuntu 11.10 without spending 200+ minutes each time Ubuntu releases a new version of its operating system. UCK is no longer functional in Ubuntu 11.10. It runs but without Synaptic Package Manager it is no longer usable. My end-users aren't competent enough with Linux to use Arch either, as a alternative to making my customizable version of Ubuntu to distribute them.. I just don't have that kind of time either, and neither do new users to Linux... And I might as well use Debian from now on to do my installations for end-users, if I have to do everything manually for them by hand each time I do a new installation of Linux. I'm so disappointed that nobody at Ubuntu development appreciated Remastersys for the role that it plays in system engineers lives here in the new-user deployment aspect of Ubuntu. It is mission critical. Maybe they don't realize this. I don't know. And I really don't like the gumball machine software center either. New users don't know what they need to install to have a comparable running Windows or Mac-like system either.. It just confusing. More exclusive. Less flexibility. Now I am beginning to understand why user other engineers like me were warning me off of Ubuntu about 2-3 releases ago. I just got ___ big time. I hope you listening developers. As have several hundred other technicians that needed to do what I do for new users of Ubuntu Linux. What a pain in the ____. I'm taking my new users to Debian without a Remastersys fork that does that task for me. I don't have the time to bother with Ubuntu anymore if nobody cares here at Ubuntu about freelance engineers like me. You are my OS of choice for installation but I don't need this hassle either.

:(:(:(:(:(:(

I hear ya, oldtimer777. I live and die by Remastersys, specifically with its 'backup' option, and install it a numerous systems as well as share it on many live discs over the past few years. Anyway, I was saddened to hear the news myself. I can understand the author's thoughts on it, but it is of course sad to see it go.

Fortunately, I was able to find a fork with potential. As mentioned above, re-linux seems to be the latest and greatest at the moment. I have actually spoken with the author of it about his plans for it, and after several correspondences, it does sound as it, when out of beta stage, will function at least as good as remasterys (and then some).

Here is a link to an article the author of it wrote a few days back:

http://lkubuntu.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/relinux-a-way-to-create-a-bootable-iso-out-of-your-system/

Also, here is another thread on this issue. Suffice it to say you are not alone:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1857376

J_dillinger
October 31st, 2011, 07:13 PM
Without remastersys, I may have to reconsider my choice of running with ubuntu... I have used Fedora, slackware, debian, mandriva, and many other distros, but what made debian based distros, and ubuntu specifically, far superior to all the other flavors of Linux was Synaptic and Remastersys. It also appears that the distro is dumbing down the user interface. I realize Linux is power at the CLI, but really was it not far simpler to customize your gnome desktop or KDE to do the repetitive or tedious tasks. The beauty of Linux was the ability to make each install your, give it personality. That brings up another gripe I have, the desktop switcher. Really guys, Canonical couldn't do a better job with the switcher. I have been trying to work with 11.10, and the more I work with it the more I'm just rebuilding 10.10.

I have an idea, how about a gnome fork like kubuntu. Something to allow the real power of Linux to be available to those that want or need it.

My list of demands are short...
1. Give me back the ability to make my installation mine.
2. I want tablet support for the touchscreen
3. I want to be able to configure my desktop without having to reinstall most of gnome to get the features, and if I do have to use gnome, give it back as a distro.

I am really disappointed with Canonical, they have lost sight of what made Linux great, but saline is looking really good right now. There is a good review of it on distrowatch.com

:(:confused::(

Megaptera
October 31st, 2011, 08:58 PM
Remastersys is back in active development, good news!
Here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1870607