PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hostname in command prompt

mfearer
October 11th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Hello, all. Running 11.04. Is there a way that, in an ssh or telnet session, that hostname will not appear in the command prompt? Not logged in yet, so not seeking a user shell environment. I just want to see something like 'login>', not 'ubuntu login>'.

SeijiSensei
October 12th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Hello, all. Running 11.04. Is there a way that, in an ssh or telnet session, that hostname will not appear in the command prompt? Not logged in yet, so not seeking a user shell environment. I just want to see something like 'login>', not 'ubuntu login>'.

Your prompt is set in ~/.bashrc. See the section on PROMPTING in "man bash".

The system-wide default prompt is set in /etc/bash.bashrc.

mfearer
October 12th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Thank you. That is helpful, but that was not exactly my question. I am not seeking a user's shell environment. I am speaking of the login prompt. I am seeking a method of not having the hostname displayed in the login prompt. For example, I am currently seeing "ubuntu login>". I just wish to see "login>".

haqking
October 12th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Thank you. That is helpful, but that was not exactly my question. I am not seeking a user's shell environment. I am speaking of the login prompt. I am seeking a method of not having the hostname displayed in the login prompt. For example, I am currently seeing "ubuntu login>". I just wish to see "login>".

man getty

i believe getty controls it.

agetty or mgetty etc