PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] i messed up my Ubuntu

gabrielaca
October 11th, 2011, 05:46 PM
ok first, about a month ago i messed my Win7 (dual boot), no worries, continued working on my Ubuntu partion, but then i messed my Ubuntu also, so i backed up everything from both Osīs and tried to reinstall both, so i installed first Win7 and came out fine, but when i tried to reinstall Ubuntu 11.04 fron a live cd, i got a messeage something like "panic attack ocurred" and cant get to do anything more; on Win7 i can see the Wubi installer on the cd but dont want to go that way; any ideas how can i reinstall Ubuntu?:D

bcbc
October 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM
If you're getting a 'kernel panic' then you probably have a bad burn on the CD, assuming this is the same machine you were running Ubuntu on successfully before.

Make sure you follow the instructions from here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

gabrielaca
October 11th, 2011, 08:35 PM
i used the same disk as when i installed for the first time, but ill download again just to be on the safe side, thanks for the input.

bcbc
October 11th, 2011, 09:38 PM
i used the same disk as when i installed for the first time, but ill download again just to be on the safe side, thanks for the input.

When you boot from the CD, hit a key when the little keyboard icon appears at the bottom centre. That will give you the extended menu and you can check the disk for errors.

gabrielaca
October 11th, 2011, 10:53 PM
i clicked and got the menu, then click on, try ubuntu and got a black screen w/a blincking cursor, and freeze, then on install ubuntu, and got the kernell panic, and freeze, then on check the disk, and seem to be doihg fine i reported back once in a while and then again the kernel panic and freeze.

ill try the new downloaded disk later tonite.

any more ideas bcbc.

bcbc
October 11th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Any ideas? Well, the fact that windows 'messed up before', followed by your Wubi install, and now the kernel panic - could point to some sort of hardware failure.

Unless you actually did something to mess things up - but I'm thinking not.

So that'd be my guess - some component is failing or something you've added is causing problems. Probably a good idea to run some ram checks etc.

That might also explain why an Ubuntu disk that worked before is now resulting in a kernel panic.

However, if you think your hardware is good, then I'd recommend trying a new CD at least to rule that out - as it's very common to have bad burns on CDs.

gabrielaca
October 12th, 2011, 12:14 AM
boy you were right from the get go, it was the cd, i burned a new iso and im wrigting this from from my Ubuntu 11.04, probably a scratch or something, thank you so much for your help and knowledge.

i got back everything absolutly, again thanks, im marking this tread as SOLVED, thanks to you. ;):D:o:):p:popcorn: