PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MacBook Pro 6,2 i7 WIN7PROx64 (bootcamp) and MACOSX10.6

Simon60178
October 11th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Hello,

I really don't know under which category to put my query, so I'll just try my best to describe the situation I'm currently in.

I'm running a MacBook Pro 6,2 with the following specs (don't know if it's relevant):
Intel i7 @ 2.67GHz
Corsair 8GD DDR3 1066MHz (2x4)
Hitachi ATA 500GB
The rest is standard for all MBPs, I think..

Okay, so the deal is this; I'm running Mac OS X Snow Leopard (the one before Lion) which I like for the battery life for when I'm surfing on the couch etc., and I'm then running Windows 7 Pro 64bit through Bootcamp because that's most efficient for when I'm at work.

Recently I've been dabbling a bit with Linux and I'm starting to want it more and more. So I go to ubuntu.com and download that Wubi-device thingy. Everything's been good so far.

What is "gnome 3"? I saw a video on youtube about how to install it with apt-get in terminal etc, but when I try that on my ubuntu and everything finishes, I reboot to complete installation and when I choose "gnome" at the login screen it says it's unable to use it. Any advice? Is it because I'm running "inside" Windows 7?

I would mostly like to run Linux as a seperate partition (NOT inside Windows), is that possible?

Kind regards,

Simon

Simon60178
October 11th, 2011, 05:26 PM
P.s, I've tried to shrink my HDD by 20 gigs, inserting the ubuntu 11.04 x64 DVD I've burned (using infrarecorder), and rebooting. But the option to boot device or ubuntu installation menu doesn't show.