PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to view documents side-by-side

wah fun
October 11th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I am trying to make the break from that other office system. Here's my problem. In word 2007 the user can view two documents side by side. The screens are automatically sized to fit onto the desktop with a single click. I do translation work and I use this feature extensively. It makes it very easy to edit both documents. I know that with some fiddling around I can do this in openoffice but it is time consuming and a hassle that I don't need.

However, after googling and searching the net, I have been unable to find a word processor for linux that has this capability. I understand that openoffice or libreoffice cannot do this because these programs use a single document interface vs a multiple document interface as does ms word.

So if anyone has discovered a linux program that can import files (doc, odf, etc) and has the ability to display them side-by-side, I would appreciate knowing about it.

thx

jaime256
October 12th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I used one of these programs a while back just playing around. They are under file comparison, usually used in programming but I just tested one with a regular text file and seems to work fine. You can install both from the ubuntu software.
One is called meld and the other is called kdiff3. I hope this works for you.

I am trying to make the break from that other office system. Here's my problem. In word 2007 the user can view two documents side by side. The screens are automatically sized to fit onto the desktop with a single click. I do translation work and I use this feature extensively. It makes it very easy to edit both documents. I know that with some fiddling around I can do this in openoffice but it is time consuming and a hassle that I don't need.

However, after googling and searching the net, I have been unable to find a word processor for linux that has this capability. I understand that openoffice or libreoffice cannot do this because these programs use a single document interface vs a multiple document interface as does ms word.

So if anyone has discovered a linux program that can import files (doc, odf, etc) and has the ability to display them side-by-side, I would appreciate knowing about it.

thx

Copper Bezel
October 12th, 2011, 03:18 AM
I haven't used this feature of MS Office, but would it be similar to using the Snap behavior for two separate windows in that scenario? If you're using Ubuntu 11.04, there's a similar window management feature in Compiz called the Grid that allows you to snap any two windows up to fill the left and right halves of the screen. I find it extremely useful for documents as well.