PDA

View Full Version : DSL || CABLE || Mobile Broadband Which one do you prefer ?

linuxyogi
October 11th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Which connection type have you chosen & why ?

markp1989
October 11th, 2011, 05:01 PM
at home im using cable/fibre (its fibre to the curb, cable to the house) because I get less latency compared to an (A)DSL line.

When im out I used mobile broadband on my "Mifi" thing, as its all that is available when im on the move.

dpny
October 11th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I prefer DSL: you pay for your line and your speed, and you can do what you like with it. In reality I have cable at home, as Verizon has stopped upgrading their DSL infrastructure to force people who want faster speeds onto FiOS, which doesn't appeal to me for a variety of reasons.

ubupirate
October 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Fiber optics. :)

JRV
October 11th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I use DSL because I hate Comcast. They billed me for two months after I canceled. I did not pay it and they sent it to a collection agency which call me every day at the same time so I know to just ignore it. This has been going on for three years. I don't try to stop it because I figure it is costing them to keep trying.
When I get the junk mail asking me to subscribe to Comcast I send the envelope back empty so they have to pay the postage.

I do all I can to encourage people to cut the cable.

kurt18947
October 12th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Fiber optics. :)
+1 We had Verizon DSL and it was very reliable. Being about a mile from the CO plus new infrastructure didn't hurt. We now have Verizon FiOS and it has been excellent. Speedtest.net shows 30 Mb. down 22 up any time of the day or night. My wife detests Comcast which is the cable alternative where we are.

3Miro
October 12th, 2011, 12:18 AM
What I prefer or what I have? I have cable, but I would rather have DSL.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 12th, 2011, 12:39 AM
I recently moved. Where I lived previously the fastest service was cable. Where I am living now we could have DSL, cable, or FiOS as options. I chose FiOS. Cable is shared; therefore, if a neighbor uses a lot of bandwidth you are in contention with them for bandwidth. With FiOS, you are supposed have dedicated bandwidth; therefore, your neighbor can do what they want and it is is not supposed to affect your speeds. Also, for my area, FiOS is less expensive than cable; however, they are both a lot more expensive than DSL. I really don't have a need at this time for Mobile Broadband.

In the poll I chose "other"; because, FiOS or Fiber was not an option.

wolfen69
October 12th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I don't see why anyone would prefer dsl over cable, besides being cheaper.

Dr. C
October 12th, 2011, 05:15 AM
I don't see why anyone would prefer dsl over cable, besides being cheaper.

If you live in Canada one word: Rogers. DSL is preferable at more that twice the price.

ikt
October 12th, 2011, 05:21 AM
In Australia most of the country has ADSL2+, however given that we're all so far away from the exchange most people get less than 10mbit, for example I get 4mbit on a good day :(

However we have the NBN coming!

http://www.nbnco.com.au/

Best internets in the world here we come! :D

djheadley
October 12th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I looked around quite a lot before deciding on VirginMobile (Mobile BroadBand). Cable doesn't come as far as my house and the phone lines here are a joke. I checked other Mobile BroadBand companies but decided to go with a prepay system. I have used Tracfone (also prepay) for more than 10 years and I like the freedom.

The only adjustment I made was to add an external antenna to get better signal strength in my house - a mobile home.

drofart
October 12th, 2011, 07:28 AM
For me mobility counts a great deal.

Chame_Wizard
October 12th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Live in the Netherlands.

Always has cable for the past 6 years,9 months and 10 days.

Currently my speed is 40/4 mb/s for €52.- per month.

:guitar:

makitso
October 12th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Live in Minnesota and use Comcast cable. Have Ooma VOIP so the latency over DSL would probably not allow that to work. Get 14MB download and 3MB upload for $40 US a month.

linuxyogi
October 12th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I am atm using Airtel 3G (http://www.airtel.in/wps/wcm/connect/airtel3g/Airtel3G/3G-Services/). Its expensive, unreliable in terms of signal stability. Therefore I am

moving back to DSL which I foolishly cancelled in favor of mobile broadband. I will be leaving

3G in one or two days & go back to DSL.

We don't have cable here in our locality.

sffvba[e0rt
October 12th, 2011, 03:56 PM
4th option on Poll changed from other as requested by OP.

Ranko Kohime
October 12th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Using DSL now, but I'm eagerly awaiting FIOS, which they're rolling out in my neighborhood in the next few weeks. :)

dpny
October 12th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Using DSL now, but I'm eagerly awaiting FIOS, which they're rolling out in my neighborhood in the next few weeks. :)

Make sure you check the experiences of other FiOS users. Where I live I've heard of a lot of problems, including slow speeds and Verizon's installers requiring multiple appointments to get the installation working.

The Sorrow
October 12th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I am a former Clearwire tech support rep and i feel that mobile broadband is just for laptops and not home use (Unless grandma wants some cheap internets).

lisati
October 12th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I regularly use ADSL2+ and also have access to mobile broadband.

kurt18947
October 12th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Make sure you check the experiences of other FiOS users. Where I live I've heard of a lot of problems, including slow speeds and Verizon's installers requiring multiple appointments to get the installation working.

I can't speak for others but our experience in South Eastern Pennsylvania was excellent. The tech had been with Verizon for a number of years and our house is fairly new which may have helped. No RG-6 or phone wire had to be run, just modified and the ONT installed. He showed up when promised the first time and completed Internet, phone & T.V. hookups in about 3 hours. He did require a Windows PC and Internet Explorer to do some configuration. It took me a while to exhume good ol' I.E. for him ;). Once he did what he needed to do I fired up Ubuntu and it worked fine. I'm surprised those guys don't have a work portable of some sort.

wojox
October 13th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Cable, if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Speedtest.net shows 30 Mb. down 22 up any time of the day or night. My wife detests Comcast which is the cable alternative where we are.

22 up seems really high. :confused:

Are you a mile from the CO or the DSLAM?

linuxyogi
October 15th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Bye bye mobile broadband. I will be switching to DSL tommorow :guitar:

Lucradia
October 15th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Right now I am, and can only use Cable. Where I live, there's no Fibre. DSL sucks here too, because of no competition. Same with Cable. Can't get U-Verse either.

I also can't get satillite, as I am in a very large apartment complex. DSL here is capped at 150 GB a month, not sure how much I use a month, as my ISP can't tell me that (privacy issues.) But I game heavily, so I need at least 12 MB/sec down speed and 1 MB/sec up speed to do serious gaming. I've tried going lower to 8 MB/sec down, and 512 KB/sec up, it was horribly slow for 3D MMORPGs. Sadly here, DSL only goes as far as 8 MB Down, so I can't use DSL :<

To offset my cable expenses, I use tracphone for my only phone line. Surprisingly, the quality is good, but the phones aren't, and often have antenna issues. (Shaking the phone helps.)