PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wireless connection

devipriya
October 11th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Hi,

Iam using dual OS,one is windows XP,and another one is ubuntu9.10.I have wireless connection for windows xp,but not in ubuntu,i think ubuntu is not supported for wireless,dats y iam upgrading my ubuntu to 10.04,i after updrading, is it work or not? If not means how can i get wireless.

And one more doubt
how can i execute .exe files in ubuntu?

Plz anybody tel me the procedure step by step.

Thanks.

MARP1961
October 11th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Welcome,

Ubuntu works in a different way to Windows. You will have to learn a new way of doing things. You cannot install software from the net by downloading exe. files. Software for Ubuntu is provided in stores or repositories accessed by the Ubuntu Software Centre (search in the menus).

Your next step should be to fix yourself up to the internet using a network (ethernet) cable and get yourself an install disk for the latest version of Ubuntu (11.04 Natty Narwhal). Your present version 9.10 (Karmic Koala) is no longer supported by critical updates. Once 'Natty' is installed and connected to the internet by cable then open up Update Manager and do the updates. We can then help you get your wireless working.

Post us a few details about your computer specifications.

MARP1961
October 11th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough. You say you have updated to 10.04 Lucid Lynx? If you have, then you should keep with this version since it is supported until April 2013 and is well tried and tested.

Do you have an internet connection when you plug in a cable to your router? If you do, apply all the updates from Update Manager first. Once done, go to the top panel icon for the Network Manager and left click to see if any wi-fi networks (including yours) are listed. if they are then unplug the ethernet cable, left click the Network Manager, left click your wi-fi router and enter any WPA password you may have.

Let us know what happens.

devipriya
October 12th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Thanks,

Ya,in my laptop wi-fi network is showing ,if i click on my network,it wil show no wireless connection, and i had given same to key to windows xp it working ,but here not .My lap is samsung R528

MARP1961
October 12th, 2011, 11:07 AM
OK it recognises your wi-fi signal. Left click the network manager and see if ENABLE WIRELESS and ENABLE NETWORKING are checked. If they are then click on EDIT CONNECTIONS and click the wireless tab then your wi fi router.Next, make sure you have entered your WPA/WPA2 passkey (the same one that works for Windows) correctly and make sure you have enabled ALL USERS and AUTOMATIC CONNECTION.

If you do this, it should attempt to connect to your wi-fi router once you unplug any network/ethernet cable you might have plugged in.

Sometimes you will be repeatedly prompted to enter a keyring password and this can be another reason for connection problems. It might be better not to have your computer set for automatic logon if this is the case.