PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Miracle?

michaelburt
October 11th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Hi there guys. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot but I'm brand new to the forum. I've been a Ubuntu user for quite some time now (I've had it on my desktop in the past, and laptops) but recently I dug out an old netbook that I had- the Acer Aspire One to be exact.

The Windows XP that was on it was slow at best, really just a waste of hdd space.

So today I installed a fresh version of 10.10 netbook ubuntu, and something really amazing happened. My netbook battery had been completely shot for about a year now (held no change), but now, all of a sudden, it charges again?

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing before? I mean this battery was completely dead- didn't hold ANY charge, and now it's charging fine?

Michael

Sonicrulz12
October 11th, 2011, 03:55 AM
maybe Ubuntu isn't telling you the right battery percentage "says it sarcastically"

kaldor
October 11th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Speaking of miracles (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTk5MA)...

michaelburt
October 11th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Well I guess the real test will be when I unplug it! I plan to just wait until it "says" the charge is 100% and go from there.

I hope it's not just a misread! :P Although I wouldn't be too surprised if it fixed my netbook, my experience with ubuntu thus far has been awesome.

MonolithImmortal
October 11th, 2011, 05:11 AM
An operating system is not going to magically fix your battery. You probably have a worn out/defective battery, and Ubuntu is misreading it. That's a fairly common thing for Ubuntu to misread a battery's state. I've had Ubuntu report my perfectly fine battery as being broken.

michaelburt
October 11th, 2011, 05:47 AM
It works now. The battery charged fully and I'm running this thing on battery power as we speak.

This is by far the strangest thing I've ever noticed, but it could have to do with something else too.

A couple years ago somebody wasted a soft drink all over my net book, so I took the whole thing apart and put it in rice. When I put it back together, everything worked perfectly. About 6 months after that, my battery wouldn't retain charge and eventually completely died I had charging it and doing anything else I could to it, but nothing worked.

So like I said, today I put a new installation of Ubuntu on it and now it's charged.

Quite possibly it's coincidence, but I think my chances of the battery charging with Windows XP still on would have been far less ;) considering that it hasn't charged a bit for the last year!

KiwiNZ
October 11th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I simply just cannot buy this.

Paqman
October 11th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Well, hopefully it's still good after a couple of charge/drain cycles, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if it wasn't.

matt_symes
October 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I simply just cannot buy this.Yes. I can't see Ubuntu recharging your battery if the cells are dead.

Are you sure it was not a hardware issue such as a bad contact with the connected battery or a dry joint (loose connector) somewhere or other some such.

HermanAB
October 11th, 2011, 09:20 AM
It probably means that from all the banging around, the battery is making proper contact again.

Perfect Storm
October 11th, 2011, 09:28 AM
It probably means that from all the banging around, the battery is making proper contact again.

More likely.

MARP1961
October 11th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I don't think this is a miracle.

What clearly happened is your battery took itself to the deep freeze wrapped in newspaper and a fully sealed food bag. It sat and shivered for about 12 hours at around minus 20 Celcius for it's own good. Cold and frostbitten it pushed open the freezer door with great difficulty (because it's little legs were cold) and managed to find somewhere to spend the next few hours getting back to room temperature. It dried any condensation off it's slowly warming body to protect it's electrics and jumped right back into your laptop and proceeded to undergo at least four charge/discharge cycles.

This is what I believe has happened.

Ric_NYC
October 11th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hallelujah, brothers and sisters!

HALLELUJAH!

forrestcupp
October 11th, 2011, 12:39 PM
It's probably the new Battery Saver feature they introduced with Warty Warthog.

MooPi
October 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Some people have called me the Computer Whisperer. They bring them to me dead and for some reason they start up when I'm around. So are you stealing my thunder ?