PDA

View Full Version : What to opt between -java and .net??

Praveen30
October 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I am going to start my career in an IT company.I am a fresher.As i have a heard from my friends who are already going through training that they are giving two options and you have to pick one for your profile .The two options are- java and .net(c#,asp.net etc) .I am not a fan of both of these, i love to work in c and python.But My interest is other thing and working for company is another.I want to know from you guys what should i choose if i am lucky enough to get options??:confused: It is not like that i am blank in both language but i have very basic level.So, i have no preference between these two languages.

angryfirelord
October 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM
First, I would see the reasons why they need the two languages. Are they reserving .NET for desktop applications and Java for enterprise-level work? It would seem silly for them to create double the maintenance effort by using two different languages for the same tasks.

In terms of which one is better, you'll just have to try them and see. I use VB.NET at work, but I obviously won't be able to run anything on Linux. Java is a bit better in this regard, but I've found it to be a lot more difficult to use in terms of creating desktop apps.

el_koraco
October 10th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Isn't MS moving away from .NET? I mean, they say it will be compatible, but it seems that they're committed to the HTML/CSS/Javascript thing.

thatguruguy
October 10th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Isn't MS moving away from .NET? I mean, they say it will be compatible, but it seems that they're committed to the HTML/CSS/Javascript thing.

This. I think that .net development is ultimately a dead end.

angryfirelord
October 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Over the short term? No, absolutely not. In fact, I'd be more concerned with Java's diminishing usage right now. Microsoft has invested way too much in it to simply abandon it. Even if they did drop it today, there's still going to be plenty of .NET developers 10 years from now. Heck, VB6 is still used.

Over the long term? Hard to say. Things might change when Windows 8 starts creeping in and the continued usage of web applications might mean that .NET would become more of a tool on a palette of languages rather than the de-facto answer to everything.

I believe the speculation came from this article: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/13/microsofts_preview_of_windows_8_has_developers_hor rified_report.html

thatguruguy
October 11th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Over the short term? No, absolutely not. In fact, I'd be more concerned with Java's diminishing usage right now.

Seriously? Android makes extensive use of Java. Is there some reason to believe that tablets, or at least tablets running android (as well as androib-based smart phones) are going to disappear soon?

GMU_DodgyHodgy
October 12th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Over the short term? No, absolutely not. In fact, I'd be more concerned with Java's diminishing usage right now. Microsoft has invested way too much in it to simply abandon it. Even if they did drop it today, there's still going to be plenty of .NET developers 10 years from now. Heck, VB6 is still used.

Over the long term? Hard to say. Things might change when Windows 8 starts creeping in and the continued usage of web applications might mean that .NET would become more of a tool on a palette of languages rather than the de-facto answer to everything.

I believe the speculation came from this article: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/13/microsofts_preview_of_windows_8_has_developers_hor rified_report.html

I would actually say Java has a brighter future. Java's useage is not diminishing. IBM,Oracle, HP - almost all their major applications, middleware, and back-end software are writting in Java or have major components in Java. Java is taught in many if not most CS programs in university.

We support ERPs (SAP, Oracle, and Momentum) that have major components with written in Java.

The claims of Java's demise are greatly exaggerated.