PDA

View Full Version : apps or features you'd like to see on Linux

_sluimers_
October 10th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Basically a support question of mine, because I'd like to know which developers I should nag for a feature like this, but I figure this could turn into an interesting topic.

Here is what I'd like to see on Linux to have:

Feature: The ability to view video's synched with someone.

Preferably with the option to watch both without and with the viewer having the video (in case of slow download speeds).

In App: Jitsi or Pidgin or standalone.

Why: The freedom to watch whatever I like with my LDR.

I've got a LDR and like to see vids together. It's somehow more entertaining to know that you're watching the same thing at the same time. There's watch2gether.com but that limits you to youtube.

pretty_whistle
October 11th, 2011, 12:29 AM
I have a feature I'd like to see.

It goes like this...........

While reading a page on the internet I'd like to be able to type in notes right next to a web pages content or on top of it. Yeah... on top of it.

Imagine reading a news story (for example) and right in mid paragraph I make a comment by typing over part of the paragraph.

Of course I'd like to be able to save the page or part of it with my comments right on it.

This would be like a Word document where you can make comments on part of the document, either to the left, right, or below it. But work like OneNote because you can type right over a pages content too.

I wished I could do this now.

ubupirate
October 11th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Here is what I'd like to see on Linux to have:

App: Jitsi or Pidgin or standalone.

Pidgin ships with Ubuntu in the Software Center, and Pidgin website also offers .deb installer for Ubuntu as well as source for any other Linux distro that doesn't use .deb.

IWantFroyo
October 11th, 2011, 12:40 AM
I'd like to see complete URL highlighting in Firefox. What I mean is this: I've used Windows 7 before, and one unique thing I've realized, is when you click on the URL bar in Firefox, it highlights the entire thing, so erasing it all is just a backspace.

pr3zident
October 11th, 2011, 12:59 AM
i would love to see final cut pro(or an app like it) i heard about novacut and openshot but openshot is not quite like final cut pro

vehemoth
October 11th, 2011, 01:39 AM
I'd like to see complete URL highlighting in Firefox. What I mean is this: I've used Windows 7 before, and one unique thing I've realized, is when you click on the URL bar in Firefox, it highlights the entire thing, so erasing it all is just a backspace.
Do you mean like the double clicking to highlight that's already available?
I prefer it this way as it is easier to change if I typed it in wrong

dniMretsaM
October 11th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Features/apps I'd like to see? Can't really think of anything specifically. I'm pretty happy with my GNU/Linux setup right now.

Open about:config and set browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll to true. I've been using that for a while and I love it.

simpleblue
October 11th, 2011, 02:14 AM
I have a feature I'd like to see.

It goes like this...........

While reading a page on the internet I'd like to be able to type in notes right next to a web pages content or on top of it. Yeah... on top of it.

Imagine reading a news story (for example) and right in mid paragraph I make a comment by typing over part of the paragraph.

Of course I'd like to be able to save the page or part of it with my comments right on it.

This would be like a Word document where you can make comments on part of the document, either to the left, right, or below it. But work like OneNote because you can type right over a pages content too.

I wished I could do this now.
Do you mean something like this:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/floatnotes/?src=search#

3rdalbum
October 11th, 2011, 03:22 AM
I'd like a program integrated with Unity (perhaps as a lens) that allows me to do personal financial transactions really quickly.

For example, today I have to visit websites for my online banking, Paypal, and my prepaid Mastercard; I also do eBay transactions and play my local lottery online. This leads to the situation where I have to go to my Mastercard's website to check the balance, realise that it's running low, go to my online banking and transfer some money over, and then put my credit card details into a THIRD site so I can buy a lottery ticket.

Wouldn't it be great if I could just use a desktop app to transfer money around between various accounts and other people? Would save a lot of hassle and a lot of websurfing.

This is unfortunately outside my abilities to program.

vasa1
October 11th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Do you mean like the double clicking to highlight that's already available?
I prefer it this way as it is easier to change if I typed it in wrong

I came across this about:config tweak:

browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll true
I haven't tried it since I mainly use Ctrl+L, followed by typing or pasting.
Source: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1945453&postcount=35

Mod: please delete this post!

Copper Bezel
October 11th, 2011, 04:22 AM
I work with a lot of documents, and I was thinking how neat something like Gnome 3's new Documents manager would be before I found out it existed. I really want to see it grow up into a full "collection manager" for document files, particularly with search-as-you-type, full-text-indexed searching, some kind of versioning features, a preview pane, perhaps the ability to attach notes, etc.

On the note of versioning, I'm really looking forward to Linux apps and filesystems supporting something like OSX Lion's versioning and auto-save, so that open documents are saved continually and on exit without having to ask but can be rolled back to prior versions. To implement that system within individual apps, you wouldn't need btrfs or anything like that - just a running cache of prior versions of documents saved somewhere on the machine.

_sluimers_
October 11th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Pidgin ships with Ubuntu in the Software Center, and Pidgin website also offers .deb installer for Ubuntu as well as source for any other Linux distro that doesn't use .deb.

I meant I want Pidgin or Jitsi to have video sharing. Fixed in first post.

chazinams
October 11th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I'd like a Firewall Log File Viewer that records the Application/Process that is making internet connections. the current Log Viewer only records the process ID, which is useless because the ID is only assigned for the session.

chazinams
October 11th, 2011, 11:17 AM

You can do this in Linux. It's an About:Config hack.

open Firefox
type "about:config" in the URL bar
search for "browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll" and set it to TRUE

polardude1983
October 11th, 2011, 11:49 AM
App I would like to see in Linux?

How about iTunes, Adobe Suite, Evernote client, Steam etc. :)

Though I wonder if iOS5 will work with Ubuntu.