PDA

View Full Version : What keyboard layout do you use?

vehemoth
October 10th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Currently I use the standard us, but I'm looking at switching to one designed for heavy keyboard users.

Grenage
October 10th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I use Dvorak; years ago I was bored and switched. It's supposed to be faster, but if I'm honest, any real-world difference is offset by most shortcuts being designed for Qwerty.

Stay Qwerty, stay sane.

NovaAesa
October 10th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Dvorak. I have found it to be very egonomic compared to qwerty, I've had far less issues with RSIs since switching, and I my wrists feel much more comfortable while typing.

LowSky
October 10th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Standard US.

Never understood Dvorak, and for those who use it where are you even buying a keyboard from are you just touch typing or using stickers? Usability and aesthetics bother me too much to allow another person to use my PC and not have a keyboard they are not familiar with.

Grenage
October 10th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Standard US.

Never understood Dvorak, and for those who use it where are you even buying a keyboard from are you just touch typing or using stickers? Usability and aesthetics bother me too much to allow another person to use my PC and not have a keyboard they are not familiar with.

I used to swap the keys around; most keyboards now have either have keys of varying height/angle, or change the socket for 2-4 of the keys. That always %*££&$ me off, because there was no valid reason for doing that, other than to stop you moving the keys around - what difference does it make to them?!

Now I have a KB from which I removed the characters (I touch-type), but you can buy blank keyboards and use stickers.

Regarding usability for others, nobody else uses my PCs. I can only assume that 'Standard US' is Qwerty?

Spice Weasel
October 10th, 2011, 10:15 AM
British layout.

cgroza
October 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM
I use Dvorak. I was bored one day and googled a Dvorak map and started switching the keys. When I learned to type on it, I also have learned how to type correctly (fingers on the home row ...).

Its best strength is that it minimizes finger travelling, and the most used keys are on the home row. Sometimes I manage to type 2 or 3 words without ever leaving the home row.

ubupirate
October 10th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Standard US. :)

Copper Bezel
October 10th, 2011, 05:14 PM
US with AltGr. I can't type Dvorak and don't really want to take the time to learn it, and I can't imagine being without the other half of the character set.

Grenage
October 10th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Doesn't every keyboard layout have AltGr, regardless of keymap? :s

Copper Bezel
October 10th, 2011, 05:38 PM
US keyboards are printed with a "Right Alt" key that just looks like the one on the left. The US standard layout doesn't use it as an AltGr - it just reads as Right Alt.

oldsoundguy
October 10th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Trained by the US military to type .. on an old Royal manual typewriter. Touch typist, so qwerty. PLUS, I use ergonomic keyboards because of my hand size. (I have MUCH trouble using a laptop and touch typing on same .. most of those are designed for women and kid sized hands.)

markp1989
October 10th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I use the British layout.

Zeta-K
October 10th, 2011, 08:07 PM
This.

vehemoth
October 12th, 2011, 02:56 AM
This.
That looks like a very nice keyboard to type on.
I'm learning colemak, it's seems very easy to learn and so far feels very nice. We'll see in a months time how good it is.

October 12th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Canadian French.

MarjaE
October 12th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Right now I'm using the standard Qwerty layout. Which isn't my favorite, because I often have to use nonstandard characters, and the compose key doesn't handle all those characters. At times I use other scripts, but Ubuntu only allows four layouts in the Keyboards menu, and it doesn't have layouts for some scripts. AAAGH...

And the menu doesn't give any info on creating layouts for not-yet-supported scripts.

horace
October 22nd, 2011, 07:22 PM
Dvorak for me too - but I think you have a skewed sample; probably people who use unusual keyboard layouts are more likely to respond to this thread. Still, if it helps to spread the word ...

Carborundum
October 22nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
U.S. International, even though I'm a Swede in Sweden. Reason being, the keys [, ], ; and a few others I use a lot are more accessible on the U.S. layout than on the Swedish. I also have relatively easy access to the 'special' vowels used in Swedish (åäö) through AltGr combinations.

dniMretsaM
October 22nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
I use QWERTY. After reading this thread, I'm actually gonna try Dvorak and see if I like it.

nwalkey
February 22nd, 2013, 07:41 AM
I use dvorak. I´d like to tweak some keys so that I don´t have to use my right hand pinky finger quite as often but then I would lose my ability to change keyboard layouts on other computers when I have to type alot.

MadmanRB
February 22nd, 2013, 10:55 AM
QWERTY here too, then again I never had any real valid reasons to switch as I usually do two fingered typing.

Elfy
February 22nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
and relax as we go back to sleep ...