PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu 11.10 alongside Windows 7 [No Wubi]

anantanni
October 10th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I have partitioned 20 GB unallocated space for Ubuntu 11.10 (Which is coming out on 13th oct. 2011)

I'm not going to use Wubi.

So can anyone here please tell me how to install ubuntu in that Partition without effecting/deleting/corrupting the Windows?

Thanks in Advance

EDIT!

Wrong Section! Please delete, and sorry.

anantanni
October 10th, 2011, 08:43 AM
So I'm going to install the Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot to my Dell Latitude D520 System.

I have ran Ubuntu before on it. So I kinda know the Installation Process.

I have pre-installed Windows 7 Ultimate, I don't want to delete it. So I have partition 20gb unallocated space on my harddrive for ubuntu.

Can anyone tell me how to install it alongside windows 7(Dual Boot)?:popcorn:

P.S. Loving this smiley:guitar:

PeteAsdf
October 10th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Hi,

Just burn the installation CD, pop it in, reboot and follow the instructions. Installing Ubuntu alongside windows is pretty easy, the installation wizard will guide you through it.

Good luck

bloodorange
October 10th, 2011, 09:55 AM
As long as you make sure you install Ubuntu into the spare 20GB space, the install process will sort out the dual boot for you. Back up your Windows data first, though, just to be safe.

sanderd17
October 10th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Normally you should get the option "use empty space" during the install process.

If you don't get that option, tell it to us, that means some manual partitioning has to be done.

raja.genupula
October 10th, 2011, 10:14 AM
while doing the installation process you will get a window which includes the partition choose.In that you are going to have 4 options , in that choose last one(manual or custom) and then in the next window choose your free space for the ubuntu.then remaining steps are common.

All the best.

raja.genupula
October 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
hi while doing the installation process 1st and last option will help you to install Ubuntu at the time of selecting the partition.1st option is what you wanted.last option is doing manual allocation(because you mention that you have 20gb free space to install).In the manual allocation you can use that 20gb for your ubuntu.I suggest manual will be better.

All the best.

garvinrick4
October 10th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Towards the bottom of the first link I have given you it shows you how to
install in a partition you have already made in graphics in the Ubuntu installer Ubiquity.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p22.html
HowToPartition - Community Ubuntu Documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition)
Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)

Rubi1200
October 10th, 2011, 11:56 AM
anantanni,
I have merged your 2 threads into one; makes life easier for all of us :)

PayPaul
October 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I want to completely reinstall both Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I may use my current liveCD with Natty to do the Ubuntu install or perhaps opt for the new release. What I also need to do is to format all 3 partitions on my main drive. The first partition will be for a clean install of Win7, the second is planned for Windows Program Files and the third is planned for the Ubuntu Installation. Can I reformat all these partitions from the LiveCD using Gparted? Currently I have an install of Win7 on the first partition and that didn't install correctly hence a need for an absolutely clean reinstall. I also know never to try to install Ubuntu before Windows. What's the best method for doing this?

Frogs Hair
October 11th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I use Windows disk management to create the space and use that space during the Ubuntu installation .

Reinstalling Windows makes life much easier , just install Windows and use disk management create the partitions . There plenty of guides available .

PayPaul
October 11th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I use Windows disk management to create the space and use that space during the Ubuntu installation .

Reinstalling Windows makes life much easier , just install Windows and use disk management create the partitions . There plenty of guides available .

My problem is that my current Windows 7 installation refuses to start properly if at all. Can I use Gparted from a LiveCD to format the existing partitions? Then I'd reboot to the Win7 install disk, install that on the first reformatted partition and then reboot again after all that drama is over and install Ubuntu onto another existing partition.

BobMarleyy
October 11th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I want to completely reinstall both Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I may use my current liveCD with Natty to do the Ubuntu install or perhaps opt for the new release. What I also need to do is to format all 3 partitions on my main drive. (...) What's the best method for doing this?

In my experience it is easier to create partitions before installing.
Usually I create all my partitions in Ubuntu before (re)installing anything. There is a disk utility to do this. Since your windows isn't working properly, just completely erase that partition. Then install your new windows on that partition, next to ubuntu. Finally, start installing the new ubuntu, replacing the old one!
So here are the steps:
1. start ubuntu and completely remove all data on the windows partition
(1b. create an extra partition reducing the size of the windows partition)
2. install windows on your emptied partition
3. install ubuntu onto the ubuntu partition
(3b. create an extra partition reducing the size of the ubuntu partition)

I hope this helps

PS Recently I stopped dual-booting windows and ubuntu, because I like how you can do a complete windows install within ubuntu using virtualbox https://www.virtualbox.org/

PayPaul
October 11th, 2011, 07:42 PM
In my experience it is easier to create partitions before installing.
Usually I create all my partitions in Ubuntu before (re)installing anything. There is a disk utility to do this. Since your windows isn't working properly, just completely erase that partition. Then install your new windows on that partition, next to ubuntu. Finally, start installing the new ubuntu, replacing the old one!
So here are the steps:
1. start ubuntu and completely remove all data on the windows partition
(1b. create an extra partition reducing the size of the windows partition)
2. install windows on your emptied partition
3. install ubuntu onto the ubuntu partition
(3b. create an extra partition reducing the size of the ubuntu partition)

I hope this helps

PS Recently I stopped dual-booting windows and ubuntu, because I like how you can do a complete windows install within ubuntu using virtualbox https://www.virtualbox.org/

Disk Utility? Is it Gparted? I don't see a need to reduce the size of any of the partitions. Windows 7 needs the larger size partition. I might consider dividing up the 3rd partition into two parts, one for Ubuntu and the other for data storage.

I'm not too keen on Virtual Machines. Wubi is almost like that too and can be problematic at times. I can only imagine how badly Win7 will operate.

garvinrick4
October 12th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Some use Disk Utilily some use gparted choose the tool you like, I use gparted just
because I always have. I keep a gparted CD burned from gparteds .iso around also.
Keep your data storage in NTFS if you want and it will be a letter in Windows system
and a sda# in Ubuntu so as to use same. Make your partitions as you want. Windows
in primarys and a extended so as to make logicals for Linux and all else. Install Windows
first and Ubuntu second and put grub always in sda not sda1 or sda5 but always sda and
you will be fine.
I will give you a good hint if interested in learning quickly. While in Forums and you see
user that is excellent on subject you are interested in ( they usually have written tutorials also on subjects also)
just kind of grab onto coat tails for a while and follow his or hers posts around and read them and study any tutorials
around (usually in their signatures.) There are lots of ways to get around these Forums and lots of Searches can be done.
You will find that a lot of users get one subject that they really excel in, use that to your advantage.
These Forums have a lot of learning advantages, not just to answer questions. Using Google search is
also very much needed as to learn. What ever you learn put into practice so is just not in theory but something in practice and understood.
I seem to always have kept one install at least just to be my guinea pig or testing install. It is really up to user and how much they want to learn about Linux and
Ubuntu in particular. Using two different distro's at first jump into Linux can be a bit confusing the apt-get's and the yum's or zyppers
and such are just different to learn would suggest learning your Ubuntu first then if want to see what the yum's are all about
give RedHat and its cousins a look. Post getting long in the Tooth, enjoy your Ubuntu. Oh and keep Tomboy notes so as to always have what learned until memorised, I
seem to forget things right after I learn them anymore and have to drill them into my Noggin.
## Gave you a how to partition link in previous post.

Mjchopperboy
October 12th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Hi,

Just burn the installation CD, pop it in, reboot and follow the instructions. Installing Ubuntu alongside windows is pretty easy, the installation wizard will guide you through it.

Good luck

True, you will have a big, huge button with a choice between next to windows, on windows or... I don't remember what else.

PayPaul
October 12th, 2011, 12:42 AM
That was a wonderfully long post with a good deal of helpful info in it. I've been subscribing to oodles of threads in here especially those with juicy bits of command line that have come in handy and will in future. Tomboy notes has a funky method of doing things and my prefs are for creating a document in Libre Writer. I usually put the actions and results of terminal commands in that. I have been finding terminal commands much more effective at controlling program behavior than anything else I've seen. I am thinking I'll use and have to use Gparted on a LiveCD. There's no way I can format the partition that contains Win7 from inside my Wubi install of Ubuntu is there? Not that I mind the LiveCD. It saved my skin along with using a couple of command lines involving mounting the root.disk file when I screwed up the disk space over the weekend. When you spoke of people to watch I know for certain that BCBC is one to do that with. He has loads of knowledge, not condescending about it and responds very quickly with clear, succinct answers.

From what I've been reading about the latest release it's a mixed bag and I think some people are cynical. Amazing to find that's possible with this OS but I've also seen what can go wrong. Just like with any OS there are bugs and conflicts that go on. Oh, I do love it how Ubuntu(Linux as well?) calls them "dependencies". It's a much more clearer term for what they do than .dll. I used to call those the dills that put me in a pickle. The synaptic manager is also often my best bet for making sure a program/package installs correctly including those dependencies.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

garvinrick4
October 12th, 2011, 12:56 AM
When you spoke of people to watch I know for certain that BCBC is one to do that with Yes if it is all things WUBI you want to learn bcbc and rubi1200 are the ones
to know. When you are rummaging through these Forums and wanting to know about a certain topic you will find others that are efficient in all different phases of Ubuntu. bcbc
is great user to follow has a lot of knowledge. Take care and if you get in a pickle with
any part of partitioning post here will keep subscribed. Once you get that there are just
3 partition Primary, Extended and Logical and sda1 thru sda4 are primary and sda5 and up
are logical and Extended is just a house for all your Logicals it gets easier all the time.
Only 4 Primarys allowed and the one Extended counts as a Primary.

john bengston
October 12th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I get an invalid argument message when I try to install ubuntu 11.4 on a windows xp computer using a cd.
I just got done using daemon tools without using cd and it works. Apparently my cd-rom reader is not able to read the cd disk. Ive used another cd with ubuntu 9.10 on it and it does not give me that error. I will try to burn another ubuntu 11.4 but will use a slower speed like 4x instead of 10x. and see if that works better.

garvinrick4
October 12th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Welcome to the Forums john bengston start a new Thread and put Wubi in Title
and highlight the whole thing and hit the # sign and will put in a nice box to read
from and not take up so much space.

PayPaul
October 12th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I'd edit that post by clicking on edit, use control X and then put the following in
and paste in between the space between. The / ends the code box.

It did take me about a week to figure out how to do that as well. it's hand for just about any kind of long text like that. It produces the scroll bar as well that I'm sure you've seen on some threads already.

PayPaul
October 12th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Once you get that there are just
3 partition Primary, Extended and Logical and sda1 thru sda4 are primary and sda5 and up
are logical and Extended is just a house for all your Logicals it gets easier all the time.

My main drive has a strange malady. It's read in Gparted not as sda but sde. Weird. Why would that be? I've the niggling suspicion it is either symptomatic of some of my pc troubles prior to this install of Ubuntu or it may be part of what's causing the busybox issue at boot. There's a UUID that is indicated as invalid... but I don't want to get too off topic here.

dFlyer
October 12th, 2011, 01:27 AM
So I'm going to install the Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot to my Dell Latitude D520 System.

I have ran Ubuntu before on it. So I kinda know the Installation Process.

I have pre-installed Windows 7 Ultimate, I don't want to delete it. So I have partition 20gb unallocated space on my harddrive for ubuntu.

Can anyone tell me how to install it alongside windows 7(Dual Boot)?:popcorn:

P.S. Loving this smiley:guitar:

Please go to this link: http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Click on all the link on this page and read them. Ubuntu is very easy to install, but do the research first.

Once you have decided to install linux, make sure you back up what ever OS you're currently using. Just remember linux is not your other OS so go slow, have fun and when problem pop up ask questions.

garvinrick4
October 12th, 2011, 01:52 AM
It's read in Gparted not as sda but sde.
Have you ever run a boot_script.
Now would be the time to see whats up on your drive.
Boot Info Script | Download Boot Info Script software for free at SourceForge.net (http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/)
Download to Desktop and extract by right clicking and using "archive manager"
and then run this code and post results.

sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script.sh

PayPaul
October 12th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Yes if it is all things WUBI you want to learn bcbc and rubi1200 are the ones
to know. When you are rummaging through these Forums and wanting to know about a certain topic you will find others that are efficient in all different phases of Ubuntu. bcbc
is great user to follow has a lot of knowledge. Take care and if you get in a pickle with
any part of partitioning post here will keep subscribed. Once you get that there are just

Have you ever run a boot_script.
Now would be the time to see whats up on your drive.
Boot Info Script | Download Boot Info Script software for free at SourceForge.net (http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/)
Download to Desktop and extract by right clicking and using "archive manager"
and then run this code and post results.

sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script.sh

Here is my last Boot script I did a few weeks ago. The 500gb drive, sde is the main internal drive on my machine. The others are all external usb drives.

Boot Info Script 0.60 from 17 May 2011

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb.
=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdc.
=> Windows is installed in the MBR of /dev/sde.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows XP
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files:

sdb1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Operating System:
Boot files:

sdb2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System:
Boot files:

sdb3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System:
Boot files:

sdc1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System:
Boot files:

sdc2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System:
Boot files:

sde1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System:
Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

sde2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System:
Boot files:

sde3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System: Windows 7
Boot files: /Windows/System32/winload.exe /wubildr /wubildr.mbr

sde4: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: Extended Partition
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:

sde5: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Boot sector info: According to the info in the boot sector, sde5 starts
at sector 2048.
Operating System:
Boot files: /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr /ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr
/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /ubuntu/disks/swap.disk

sde5/Wubi: __________________________________________________ ___________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 11.04
Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000396746752 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907024896 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sda1 2,048 3,907,024,895 3,907,022,848 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

Drive: sdb __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sdb: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders, total 3907029168 sectors

/dev/sdb1 2,048 1,302,343,679 1,302,341,632 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sdb2 1,302,343,680 2,604,685,311 1,302,341,632 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sdb3 2,604,685,312 3,907,024,895 1,302,339,584 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

Drive: sdc __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sdc: 750.2 GB, 750156374016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91201 cylinders, total 1465149168 sectors

/dev/sdc1 63 778,654,484 778,654,422 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sdc2 778,654,485 1,465,144,064 686,489,580 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

Drive: sde __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sde: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders, total 976773168 sectors

/dev/sde1 * 2,048 206,847 204,800 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sde2 206,848 65,538,047 65,331,200 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sde3 65,538,048 219,138,047 153,600,000 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sde4 219,138,048 976,771,071 757,633,024 f W95 Extended (LBA)
/dev/sde5 219,140,096 976,771,071 757,630,976 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

"blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 00f8a910-f8d1-42b3-8df0-063ea1c858fd ext4
/dev/sda1 402C6F232C6F12E8 ntfs Elements
/dev/sdb1 C018134E181342B8 ntfs Free Agent Files And Videos
/dev/sdb2 56BE6AA4BE6A7BFD ntfs Photos
/dev/sdb3 10309D75309D6290 ntfs Photos And Videos II
/dev/sdc1 8A8805C68805B22D ntfs Jellybabies
/dev/sdc2 34D451CBD4518FCA ntfs SarahJane
/dev/sde1 16B89432B89411FB ntfs System Reserved
/dev/sde2 765249145248DB0F ntfs Program Files
/dev/sde3 F8A4BC21A4BBDFF4 ntfs
/dev/sde5 BEB23740B236FD09 ntfs Data And Documents

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/loop0 / ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
/dev/sda1 /media/Elements fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)
/dev/sdb1 /media/Free Agent Files And Videos fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)
/dev/sdb2 /media/Photos fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)
/dev/sdb3 /media/Photos And Videos II fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)
/dev/sdc1 /media/Jellybabies fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)
/dev/sdc2 /media/SarahJane fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_ permissions)
/dev/sde5 /host fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,all ow_other,blksize=4096)

======================== sde5/Wubi/boot/grub/grub.cfg: =========================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
set have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
save_env prev_saved_entry
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}

function load_video {
true
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos5)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root BEB23740B236FD09
loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
set root=(loop0)
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=auto
load_video
insmod gfxterm
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
if background_color 44,0,30; then
clear
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_lupin ###
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-11-generic" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=UUID=BEB23740B236FD09 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-11-generic (recovery mode)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=UUID=BEB23740B236FD09 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-8-generic" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=BEB23740B236FD09 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (recovery mode)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=BEB23740B236FD09 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_lupin ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" --class windows --class os {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 16B89432B89411FB
chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

============================= sde5/Wubi/etc/fstab: =============================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk / ext4 loop,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/host/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk none swap loop,sw 0 0

================= sde5/Wubi: Location of files loaded by Grub: =================

GiB - GB File Fragment(s)

4.254676819 = 4.568424448 boot/grub/grub.cfg 1
25.754463196 = 27.653644288 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic 3
2.508926392 = 2.693939200 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic 2
25.597969055 = 27.485609984 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic 1
12.258090973 = 13.162024960 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic 1
25.754463196 = 27.653644288 initrd.img 3
2.508926392 = 2.693939200 initrd.img.old 2
25.597969055 = 27.485609984 vmlinuz 1
12.258090973 = 13.162024960 vmlinuz.old 1

========= Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive: =========

sdd

That script is one long puppy. Glad for the code script in this forum.

What do you make of it?

garvinrick4
October 12th, 2011, 06:12 AM
3 drives that are used for data, no operating systems no boot files. 1 drive sde following
sdc no sdd and has Windows 7 and a Wubi install of Ubuntu inside of Windows on sde.

menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" --class windows --class os
{ insmod part_msdos insmod ntfs set root='(/dev/sda,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 16B89432B89411FB chainloader +1
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-11-generic"
{ insmod part_msdos insmod ntfs set root='(/dev/sda,msdos5)'
loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=UUID=BEB23740B236FD09
loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-genericSeems at install this drive was sda and not sde must have done some switching around with drives.

PayPaul
October 12th, 2011, 12:13 PM
So is there a way to switch the main drive from the designation of sde back to sda? Would this be the source of my busybox issue at boot?

wildmanne39
November 21st, 2012, 05:57 PM
If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.