PDA

View Full Version : Planning for new Intranet after Apocolypse

earthpigg
October 9th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Items to have in trunk of car:

-Wifi router.
-LAMP server & documentation.
-Wikipedia dump.
-Complete Debian stable repository & documentation. (Or the 5 DVD set)
-DC 12v to AC 120v converter.

What else?

phibxr
October 9th, 2011, 10:26 PM
A backup of Ubuntuforums.org
A copy of Iron Maiden - Brave New World
An inflatable Tux-balloon to mark your position

8)

krapp
October 9th, 2011, 10:30 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/darknetplan/

3Miro
October 9th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Several miles of fiber-optic cable and powerful electric generator for the server ... i.e. bring a server.

Lucradia
October 9th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Several miles of fiber-optic cable and powerful electric generator for the server ... i.e. bring a server.

A few honda generators (I've seen them all over the place) should do the trick, also, solar panels and conversion kits to feed in electricity from the panels. if the sun isn't blocked out, that'll be your best friend.

haqking
October 9th, 2011, 11:03 PM
A copy of Windows NT 3.51 ;-)

cgroza
October 9th, 2011, 11:06 PM
That is if you survive the apocalypse...:P

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 9th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Internet after an Apocalypse? I think I would go with a non-Internet solution:

Citizens Band or HAM radio or both.
200W signal amplifier for the radio so that I can communicate with people a quarter of the way around the earth.
Charged battery to provide power to the Citizens Band or HAM radio; however, I'm not sure how I would keep the battery charged when there is no petrol for the generator or automobile. Maybe I could use solar cells or wind power.

I could probably get on the Internet with all the discarded equipment after an Apocalypse occurs and an Internet of some sort is rebuilt.

haqking
October 9th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Do you want an Intranet or Internet ?

Start off with IPv6 this time though ;)

simpleblue
October 9th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Linux servers
A room with electricity generating bikes
Some Microsoft employees

We'll make sure everyone runs linux! :p

grahammechanical
October 9th, 2011, 11:51 PM
If by apocalypse you are thinking of a thermonuclear war, then I wonder how you are going to overcome the effects of the electro-magnetic pulse that comes with a nuclear explosion? It fries electronic components. This is why they tested nuclear devices in the upper atmosphere.

If that kind of apocalypse does happen then afterwards there will still be someone complaining that Ubuntu broke their computer.

Regards.

Paulgirardin
October 10th, 2011, 02:38 AM
OK.....a hammer and chisel,then.

Thewhistlingwind
October 10th, 2011, 02:43 AM
If by apocalypse you are thinking of a thermonuclear war, then I wonder how you are going to overcome the effects of the electro-magnetic pulse that comes with a nuclear explosion? It fries electronic components. This is why they tested nuclear devices in the upper atmosphere.

If that kind of apocalypse does happen then afterwards there will still be someone complaining that Ubuntu broke their computer.

Regards.

1. EMP is really overrated (Read: A non-issue)

2. If your still paranoid, a pelican case with a Faraday cage will work nicely.

Theres some CC licensed content out there you should grab.

I'll let you decide what of it is worth keeping.

If your serious though, may I recommend you find some source of renewable power to keep your server/etc up? You'll find fuel prices quite high after any sort of disaster, esp. in a TEOTWAWKI scenario.

3Miro
October 10th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Assuming we can figure out the servers and power problems, then lets see what is worth keeping in terms of information. I for one wouldn't go for Wikipedia. Wiki contains lots of information that would be useless after an apocalypse, I wouldn't try to diagnose a disease from a wiki-page. We should try to preserve the scientific research, good textbooks on all of classical Physics, Chemistry, Biology, definitely Medicine, Engineering and all of that needs a lot of Math. The new quantum Physics and stuff is still research in progress so it is lower priority.

Thewhistlingwind
October 10th, 2011, 03:24 AM
We should try to preserve the scientific research, good textbooks on all of classical Physics, Chemistry, Biology, definitely Medicine, Engineering and all of that needs a lot of Math. The new quantum Physics and stuff is still research in progress so it is lower priority.

Documents on computing (Design, theory, languages, Schematics, etc.) rank pretty high on the priority list IMO. Once all the existing machines start breaking down, we'll need to manufacture new ones.

A printer with relevant supplies may be useful. (Not in your trunk obviously, but to keep around for printing relevant pages.)

Speaking of printers, grab the reprap schematics for your collection.

Dr. C
October 10th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Items to have in trunk of car:

-Wifi router.
-LAMP server & documentation.
-Wikipedia dump.
-Complete Debian stable repository & documentation. (Or the 5 DVD set)

What else?

Tools to crack DRM. The more information on cracking DRM the better.

3Miro
October 10th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Documents on computing (Design, theory, languages, Schematics, etc.) rank pretty high on the priority list IMO. Once all the existing machines start breaking down, we'll need to manufacture new ones.

Rebuilding Industry would be the biggest problem. For that we do need Engineering schematics, but we also need the raw theory in terms of Physics of transistors and electromagnetism and so on.

krapp
October 10th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I'm pretty sure a dystopian future is more probable than an apocalyptic one.

earthpigg
October 10th, 2011, 09:50 PM
We should try to preserve the scientific research, good textbooks on all of classical Physics, Chemistry, Biology, definitely Medicine, Engineering and all of that needs a lot of Math. The new quantum Physics and stuff is still research in progress so it is lower priority.

Good call. I've got PDFs of the Feynman Lectures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_lectures) to get that collection started.

red_Marvin
October 10th, 2011, 10:46 PM
What should be needed, both in terms of hardware and software as well as
the actual data very much depends on what the goal of getting this network
up after the apocalypse would be.

+ communication? Before the proper infrastructure has been rebuilt I would
| guess that ham radios would serve this purpose better.

+ preservance of data? I think real printed media has a better chance of
| surviving. The number of bits per volume is lower, but that increases the
| redundancy and you don't need electricity to read a book.

If data density is required, I guess ROM circuits and a low power access
method would be the best bet until you see what that would actually cost.

drawkcab
October 11th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Libraries will have a lot of that information. What folks will need immediately is information on how to grow their own food, secure drinkable water, provide basic medical care and reorganize their local communities.

Paqman
October 11th, 2011, 07:08 AM
You'd need a complete backup of the internet, surely? It'd need t be on some kind of medium that won't degrade over time. Granite tablets should do it.

Or simply a mini-itx board and a 12V PSU? They're designed to run off vehicle 12V power supplies, and if you're going to be running off PV or an anaerobic digester fueled by zombie corpses then you're going to want to keep the wattage down.

jhonan
October 11th, 2011, 10:49 AM
...and reorganize their local communities.
So add a copy of facebook sourcecode to the list. :D

undecim
October 11th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Be sure to get the source code for all those apps in the debian repos. Otherwise it will be a real pain to fix once someone finds a security hole.

EDIT: Oh, and less related to internet, but something that might be useful between the Apocalypse and the post-Apoc internet: http://www.cd3wd.com/CD3WD/index.htm
http://www.cd3wd.com/cd3wd_40/cd3wd/index.htm
Basically, everything you need to know about rebuilding society.

michaelcarey95
October 11th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Notice how the OP asked about a new INTRAnet. Everyone here is talking about a new INTERnet. :popcorn:

haqking
October 11th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Notice how the OP asked about a new INTRAnet. Everyone here is talking about a new INTERnet. :popcorn:

i asked in post 9 ;-)

undecim
October 11th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Linux servers
Some Microsoft employees

Linux powered by the same people who wrote Windows ME and Vista? Please no; they'll find some way to screw it up.

red_Marvin
October 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM

The difference as I see it would still be mostly server management,
a postapocalyptic internet would start as an intranet anyway.

The question of the ulterior purpose is still more important, since the
size is by definition 'small' by virtue of being a postapocalyptic network.

decoherence
October 11th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Linux servers
Some Microsoft employees

+1 turn MS in to just another bunch of linux peddlers

*GONG*

earthpigg
October 13th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Notice how the OP asked about a new INTRAnet. Everyone here is talking about a new INTERnet.
i asked in post 9

Internet is just a very large intranet. As I understand things, establishing an intranet is synonymous with establishing a neo-internet. Acorns grow into oaks, unless I got my seeds and trees wrong.

Evil-Ernie
October 13th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I think Ive got my post-apocolypse prioritys wrong :S

Id be thinking where can I get some malted barley, hops, a 5gallon+ vessel and something to boil water in along with firewood... that right I plan to make the first ale of the brave new world! :P

PteHarper
October 13th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I’m with Evil-Ernie on this one. I already have most of the gear to do some simple brews. 80 pints max, as long as my bottles don’t smash

PteHarper
October 13th, 2011, 02:33 PM
There’s a really good short story i believe it was called "When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth" and it was by Cory Doctorow. It’s about system admins keeping their servers going while the world around them crumbles.

A quick Google throws up a few sites with it on. It is defiantly worth a read if you have the time.

Paqman
October 13th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I think Ive got my post-apocolypse prioritys wrong :S

Id be thinking where can I get some malted barley, hops, a 5gallon+ vessel and something to boil water in along with firewood... that right I plan to make the first ale of the brave new world! :P

That's actually not as mad as it sounds. Historically people without access to safe water supplies used one of two methods to make it safe: boil it (and make tea) or ferment it (and make booze).

effenberg0x0
October 13th, 2011, 06:11 PM
RJ45 crimping tools. Ever tried cabling with nothing but a rock?

Regards,
Effenberg