PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gimp wont install

matborda
October 9th, 2011, 12:15 PM
matborda@matborda-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install gimp
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

what am i supposed to do?

Dy1anW
October 9th, 2011, 01:10 PM
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
what am i supposed to do?

If you can't get lock it's because you have something else using it, like Synaptic. Make sure that's closed first before trying again.

matborda
October 9th, 2011, 01:22 PM
you were right, but anyway

[sudo] password for matborda:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gimp: Depends: gimp-data (<= 2.6.8-z) but 2.6.11-1~getdeb1~maverick is to be installed
E: Broken packages

Dy1anW
October 9th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I've actually seen a situation similar to this when an update "broke" AWN, and I couldn't install the new version because of some broken package. IIRC I simply removed the package causing problems (in your case gimp-data), which then allowed apt to install all packages properly.

Alternatively, and I should've tried this when it happened to me, is to just run sudo apt-get update (which should satisfy the dependency). If that doesn't do the trick then uninstalling everything to do with the previous Gimp is the best bet.

Elfy
October 9th, 2011, 02:44 PM
moved to new thread - please don't tag onto an old thread please