PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can I expand the Ubuntu partition if it's mounted as a pseudo-device?

MidnightJava
October 9th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I installed Ubuntu as a guest OS in the Windows installation that came with my HP computer, by downloading and running the Windows installer for Ubuntu. It created a 30GB partition, but it seems this is actually a pseudo-device whose contents are physically within the Windows partition. From Ubuntu I see my Windows 7 files at /host. Using gparted I see only Windows partitions (the System, OS, and Recovery partitions at /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, and /dev/sda3. respectively). Running df on the Ubuntu system, I see /host mounted on /dev/sda2, and / mounted on /dev/loop0.

So I have several questions?

1. Is there any way to expand the size of the pseudo-device on which / is mounted, so I can use more of the Windows partition for Ubuntu?

2. I want to install VirtualBox, with Ubuntu as the host and Windows 7 as the guest. I want to follow the instructions here (https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=33356) to create a raw disk in VB that points to the existing Windows partition, so I can boot Windows native or in the VM. Can that work with my installation configuration? I asked that question on the VirtualBox forum, but I'd like to also get an answer from an Ubuntu perspective.

3. Do I need to install Ubuntu in its own partition to accomplish 1 and 2 above? If not, is there some other reason I might want to do that?

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu, and have been running it for several months. I just downloaded and ran the Windows installer because it seemed like the easiest way to get Ubuntu in a dual boot configuration with Windows. But if I have an installation configuration that's going to limit what I can do in the future, I'd like to change it now, before I get even further along using the current installation.

coffeecat
October 9th, 2011, 09:31 AM
But if I have an installation configuration that's going to limit what I can do in the future, I'd like to change it now, before I get even further along using the current installation.

I'll take this point first. If I was in your situation, I'd abandon the current Ubuntu system and start afresh with Ubuntu installed natively to its own partition. What you have is a wubi installation.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

It's a perfectly good way of using Ubuntu for a short while but, yes, it is limiting. If you do want to try to resize the Ubuntu pseudo-partition (the C:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk file), you could try this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How_do_I_resize_the_virtual_disks.3F

As to your question about installing VirtualBox in Ubuntu, that is not a thing I would want to try in wubi. A wubi install runs significantly slower than a native installation and a guest system in VirtualBox runs slow anyway, so you'd be doubly disadvantaged. Added to which I doubt whether pointing the host Windows partition back to be the guest in VirtualBox would be doable. You would be closing a circle, which would be eccentric if nothing else. :)

Last point. You have a Hewlett-Packard machine. HP have an irritating habit of using up the full complement of 4 primary partitions allowed in an mbr partition table, or at least with Windows 7 systems - although this doesn't appear to be the case from the information you've already posted. This needs to be dealt with if you want to install Linux to its own partition(s). Which version of Windows is installed? Also, from Ubuntu post the output of these terminal commands:

sudo fdisk -lu
sudo blkid

We'll get a better overview of your partition layout with that.

MidnightJava
October 9th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the explanation. You've confirmed my suspicions, and I'll install Ubuntu in its own partition. The HP came with Windows 7 Home Edition. I do only see the three partitions I mentioned. What do they usually install in the fourth partition?

Here's the output of the two commands you requested I run. As you may assume from the label, the sdb device is my backup disk.

ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 640.1 GB, 640135028736 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77825 cylinders, total 1250263728 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x801f4319

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 206847 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 206848 637943807 318868480 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 1224960000 1250260991 12650496 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
Disk identifier: 0xaefbb026

/dev/sdb1 63 625142447 312571192+ b W95 FAT32
mal@ubuntu:~$ sudo blkid
/dev/loop0: UUID="b48d1b04-84e2-432b-860c-e633291d463e" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="SYSTEM" UUID="F8C4B13FC4B100C4" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="OS" UUID="36AA701CAA6FD6C1" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda3: LABEL="HP_RECOVERY" UUID="6CEAF910EAF8D774" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="BACKUP" UUID="7EF5-1DEE" TYPE="vfat"
ubuntu:~$

coffeecat
October 9th, 2011, 08:35 PM
The HP came with Windows 7 Home Edition. I do only see the three partitions I mentioned. What do they usually install in the fourth partition?

You're lucky! Judging by the number of threads started about this and my own experience of a HP machine, you must have got hold of the only HP in the known Universe with Windows 7 and less than 4 partitions. :)

The fourth partition would have been a tiny FAT32 one with the label HP_TOOLS. I simply copied the contents to my C: partition and deleted it.

ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -lu

sda1 is your Windows 7 boot partition, sda2 the C: partition and sda3 the recovery partition. Your easiest option would be to shrink the sda2 C: partition and then create an extended partition in the freed space. You could then create as many logical partitions as you need in the extended. Linux is happy booting from a logical partition unlike Windows, and you could also create a NTFS data partition as a logical partition to be shared by the two OSs if you want. Windows will be happy with a logical data partition.

If you need help with the partitioning, don't hesitate to post back. I'd advise you to use Windows' own Disk Management utility to shrink the C: partition (that's safer than using Gparted), but use Ubuntu's Gparted to create the extended/logical partitions. If you use Windows Disk Management there is a danger that it will convert all your partitions into dynamic ones, and then you'll be up a creek with just a leaf for a paddle as far as running Ubuntu is concerned.

MidnightJava
October 9th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks. I did already shrink the Windows C: partition as far as I could. I should be able to shrink it further after I remove the Ubuntu pseudo-device. But I'll wait until I have Ubuntu installed along-side Windows. Then I'll remove wubuntu, shrink the Windows partition, and grow the Ubuntu partition. I did use the Windows utility to shrink the C: partition. It was nice, because it figured out for me how far I could shrink it, and helped me to see whether a defrag would help.

I just went to the Ubuntu dowload page and saw that the 32-bit version is tagged as recommended. Is this actually preferable even though I have a 64-bit OS, or is it recommended just so people who don't know what they have will be good with the 32-bit version no matter what?

coffeecat
October 9th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I missed that you had already shrunk the Windows partition - the output of fdisk was clear if I had read it properly!

This business about the 32-bit version of Ubuntu being recommended on the ubuntu.com page is the big mystery. I guess your last thought is the right one. If you have a 64-bit processor and at least 2-3 GB RAM then I suggest you go for the 64-bit version.

By the way, don't forget that you need more than one partition for Ubuntu, which is why you need to create an extended partition. Although you can use a swap file, the usual setup in Ubuntu is to have a separate swap partition.

MidnightJava
October 10th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I created an extended partition with three logical partitions: an ext2-formatted partition for Ubuntu data, a unix-swap-formatted partition for Ubuntu swap, and an NTFS-formatted partition for shared data.

In the Ubuntu installation wizard, I did not choose the option "Install Ubuntu along-side Windows". Instead I chose "Something Other", assuming that would enable me to specify the partitions for data and swap directly.

On the next wizard page, I selected the Ubuntu data partition for installation. There was a drop-down menu for "Device for boot loader installation", with available options: /dev/sda, /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, /dev/sda3, /dev/sda5, /dev/sda6, /dev/sda7. I wasn't sure which to choose, and was concerned that if I chose the one that contains the current Windows boot loader, I'd over-write the current BCD. So I chose /dev/sda, since it refers to the entire disk, assuming the installer would choose the correct partition.

When I clicked "Install", I got an error message " No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu." There was a column for mount point in the partition table presented by the wizard; but there were no values in it for any partition, and it was not editable.

Did I take the wrong path when I chose "Something Other", or am I missing something else?

coffeecat
October 10th, 2011, 08:46 AM
"Something else" is the correct option. I'm not quite sure what you mean by an ext2 for Ubuntu data. If you are going to have a NTFS partition for shared data between Windows and Ubuntu, you don't really need a data partition formatted with a Linux filesystem. Nevertheless, this seems to be what you tried to choose for installing Ubuntu to. Apart from the NTFS partition, the minimum partitions in your extended partition would be a swap partition and an ext4 partition for the Ubuntu root partition. The shorthand for a root partition is '/'.

Assuming your ext2 partition is large enough, in the something else option, highlight it and click on 'change'. Choose ext4 for filesystem, it doesn't matter whether you re-format it or not if it's freshly created, and then in mountpoint choose '/'. My guess is that it was the last bit you omitted. You don't need to do anything with the swap partition you've created - the installer will detect and set that up automatically.

Installing grub to /dev/sda is correct. Some grub code will go to the mbr replacing the Windows bootloader, and some is held in the Ubuntu root partition. You will be able to boot Windows from the grub menu. Don't worry that grub code overwrites the Windows mbr bootloader. If you ever need to revert your machine back to a Windows only one, it is easy to re-install the Windows code from a Windows 7 repair disc. By the way, if you haven't done so already, make a repair CD from within Windows. This is different from the HP recovery DVDs which you may already have made. If you type "repair" in the search box in Windows 7, the system will prompt you. It's also possible to re-install the equivament of the Windows bootloader from an Ubuntu live CD.

I should have posted this link before. Much of it you will understand already but there's some useful stuff about partitioning for Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition

MidnightJava
October 10th, 2011, 04:13 PM
OK, I was able to get Ubuntu installed in the partition I created. I didn't notice the right-click menu, which was what I needed to enter the mount point. I was just clicking on the partition table record. When I said Ubuntu Data partition, I should have said Ubuntu Root partition. I originally formatted it as ext2 because only ext2 and ext3 were mentioned in the gparted documentation. But I changed it to ext4 per your suggestion, and after entering the mount point I was able to do the installation.

I was able to boot into Ubuntu. I saw the grub entries for Windows, but haven't verified booting into Windows yet. However, I thought I'd be able to boot into the previously-installed Ubuntu installation as well, but I don't see a grub entry for it. Is it possible to do that? If not, perhaps I can mount the pseudo-device /dev/loop0 from the new Ubuntu installation, and then grab the data that I'd like to keep, before removing the old Ubuntu installation. I didn't get a chance to try that before leaving the house today.

I also have two related questions.

1. From Ubuntu I was able to mount the shared partition I created. But I noticed that the backup drive device sdb was already mounted when I booted into Ubuntu. Is there something I should do in the partition table to cause the shared partition to be automatically mounted?

2. How should I remove the old Ubuntu installation when I'm ready? I assume I could delete the C:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk file; but should I do something to the /dev/loop0 device as well? Or maybe there's a windows uninstaller for wubi. Didn't think about looking at that before leaving the house today as well.

coffeecat
October 10th, 2011, 04:43 PM
However, I thought I'd be able to boot into the previously-installed Ubuntu installation as well, but I don't see a grub entry for it. Is it possible to do that?

Yes, but what I am about to tell you sounds weird. Select Windows from the grub menu that first appears. You will then get the white on black Windows bootloader menu for selecting either Windows or Ubuntu, where this Ubuntu is your wubi install. If you boot into this Ubuntu and then run update-grub, next time after the Windows boot menu you'll get yet another grub menu from which.... :wink:

If not, perhaps I can mount the pseudo-device /dev/loop0 from the new Ubuntu installation, and then grab the data that I'd like to keep, before removing the old Ubuntu installation. I didn't get a chance to try that before leaving the house today.

You can - the method is in the Ubuntu wiki article that I linked earlier. But probably easiest is to boot into the wubi Ubuntu and copy your files to your new NTFS data partition.

1. From Ubuntu I was able to mount the shared partition I created. But I noticed that the backup drive device sdb was already mounted when I booted into Ubuntu. Is there something I should do in the partition table to cause the shared partition to be automatically mounted?

Already plugged in USB devices are automounted on bootup. Internal partitions are not by default, but are easily mounted with one mouse-click as you've discovered. The way to get internal partitions mounted on bootup is to add a line to the configuration file /etc/fstab. There are GUI utilities in the repositories for this but I would advise keeping them all at arm's length. They've all been unmaintained for years and are buggy. If you post the output of these two commands I can let you have a line for /etc/fstab:

sudo fdisk -lu
sudo blkid

2. How should I remove the old Ubuntu installation when I'm ready? I assume I could delete the C:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk file; but should I do something to the /dev/loop0 device as well? Or maybe there's a windows uninstaller for wubi. Didn't think about looking at that before leaving the house today as well.

You simply uninstall the wubi installation from Windows control panel as though you were uninstalling an application. The exact method is in the two links I provided earlier.

MidnightJava
October 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM
OK, thanks again for the excellent help. I booted into Windows and the wubi installation, and everything is as expected. Now I'm ready to install VirtualBox and create the raw partition, and I'm really glad I didn't try to do that with the wubi installation.

I didn't get a chance to play with fstab yesterday, but I looked it up just now, and it seems pretty straightforward. It looks like I need the following line for auto-mounting my shared NTFS partition:

/dev/sda7 /shared ntfs auto 0 0Here's the output of the Linux commands you gave me, so you can double-check me.

s5610f:~$ sudo fdisk -lu

/dev/sda4 637945854 1224959999 293507073 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 637945856 1208575999 285315072 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 1208578048 1214719999 3070976 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 1214722048 1224959999 5118976 7 HPFS/NTFS

Partition table entries are not in disk order

s5610f:~$
s5610f:~$ sudo blkid
/dev/sda1: LABEL="SYSTEM" UUID="F8C4B13FC4B100C4" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="OS" UUID="36AA701CAA6FD6C1" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda3: LABEL="HP_RECOVERY" UUID="6CEAF910EAF8D774" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda5: UUID="5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda6: UUID="cebc1c17-cd2f-4ccb-be81-20f81b659957" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sda7: LABEL="Shared" UUID="1FF344F316D8343E" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="BACKUP" UUID="7EF5-1DEE" TYPE="vfat"

coffeecat
October 11th, 2011, 05:55 PM
If you mount your ntfs partition to a folder called shared, you won't get an icon on the desktop and/or the Unity launcher, which is may be what you prefer, and you would have to access it through File System in nautilus. If you make your mountpoint in the /media folder, you get an icon, which I prefer. So, first, you need to make your mountpoint. Either:

sudo mkdir /shared

Or:

sudo mkdir /media/shared

In your fstab line it doesn't matter whether you use "ntfs" or "ntfs-3g" in the third field - they will both invoke the ntfs-3g driver. You'd be better off with the UUID in the first field, and your options need to be different. I would suggest:

UUID=1FF344F316D8343E /media/shared ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.utf8 0 1

Change /media/shared to /shared if you want to mount in /shared and you may need to change the locale to your own. The command "locale -a" will give you a complete list. In my case I would have "locale=en_GB.utf8"

You probably know this, but to edit fstab with root privileges:

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

MidnightJava
October 13th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Well it seems I have another installation problem. When I created my VirtualBox VM with a raw disk pointing to my existing Windows7 installation, part of the process I was following from a forum post involved copying the MBR from the Windows partition into the VM and then running bootrec /FixMbr from a Windows recovery disk to restore the MBR.

This worked fine for restoring the Windows boot loder, but it wiped out grub. I only had boot records for Windows and wubi,. So I downloaded Boot-Repair and ran the recommended repair. This restored my Ubuntu boot loader and wiped out the Windows boot loader. There are no Windows entries in grub now, just two versions of Ubuntu and the recovery boot loader.

I know these two OSs can co-exist, but I seem to be in an infinite loop. Is there a way to tell grub to add a boot record for Windows? I assume grub would do that without blowing itself away, which seems to be the effect of Windows installing its boot loader.

coffeecat
October 13th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Is there a way to tell grub to add a boot record for Windows?

Yes, run "sudo update-grub". However, the Windows entry would not have disappeared spontaneously and what I fear is that somewhere along the line update-grub has been run but that the Windows boot files in the boot sector of the Windows partition have been damaged or removed. The update-grub script looks for Windows boot files to identify a Windows OS partition.

Try running "sudo update-grub" first. If that doesn't restore the Windows entry to grub, go to this site:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Download and run the boot info script in Ubuntu and post the contents of the RESULTS.txt file in code tags.

MidnightJava
October 13th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Yes, it was as you surmised. After running update-grub there are still no windows boot loaders found. Here are the results of the boot-info script.

Boot Info Script 0.60 from 17 May 2011

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Grub Legacy (v0.97) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks on the
same drive in partition #5 for /boot/grub/stage2 and /boot/grub/menu.lst.
=> No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7
Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
Operating System:
Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System: Windows 7
Boot files: /Windows/System32/winload.exe /wubildr
/ubuntu/winboot/wubildr /wubildr.mbr
/ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk

sda2/Wubi: __________________________________________________ ___________________

File system: ext4
Boot sector type: -
Boot sector info:
Operating System: Ubuntu 11.04
Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab

sda3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System:
Boot files: /bootmgr /boot/bcd

sda4: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: Extended Partition
Boot sector type: Unknown
Boot sector info:

sda5: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Boot sector info:
Boot files: /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab
/boot/grub/core.img

sda6: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: swap
Boot sector info:

sda7: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System:
Boot files:

sdb1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector info: According to the info in the boot sector, sdb1 starts
at sector 0. But according to the info from fdisk,
sdb1 starts at sector 63.
Operating System:
Boot files:

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sda1 * 2,048 206,847 204,800 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sda2 206,848 637,943,807 637,736,960 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sda3 1,224,960,000 1,250,260,991 25,300,992 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sda4 637,945,854 1,224,959,999 587,014,146 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 637,945,856 1,208,575,999 570,630,144 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 1,208,578,048 1,214,719,999 6,141,952 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 1,214,722,048 1,224,959,999 10,237,952 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

Drive: sdb __________________________________________________ ___________________

/dev/sdb1 63 625,142,447 625,142,385 b W95 FAT32

"blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/sda1 F8C4B13FC4B100C4 ntfs SYSTEM
/dev/sda2 36AA701CAA6FD6C1 ntfs OS
/dev/sda3 6CEAF910EAF8D774 ntfs HP_RECOVERY
/dev/sda5 5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ext4
/dev/sda6 cebc1c17-cd2f-4ccb-be81-20f81b659957 swap
/dev/sda7 1FF344F316D8343E ntfs Shared
/dev/sdb1 7EF5-1DEE vfat BACKUP

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/sda5 / ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
/dev/sdb1 /media/BACKUP vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)

======================== sda2/Wubi/boot/grub/grub.cfg: =========================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
set have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
save_env prev_saved_entry
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}

function load_video {
true
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 36AA701CAA6FD6C1
loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
set root=(loop0)
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=auto
load_video
insmod gfxterm
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
if background_color 44,0,30; then
clear
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_lupin ###
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-11-generic" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=UUID=36AA701CAA6FD6C1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-11-generic (recovery mode)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=UUID=36AA701CAA6FD6C1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro single
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-10-generic" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-10-generic root=UUID=36AA701CAA6FD6C1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-10-generic
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-10-generic (recovery mode)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-10-generic root=UUID=36AA701CAA6FD6C1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro single
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-8-generic" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=36AA701CAA6FD6C1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (recovery mode)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=36AA701CAA6FD6C1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro single
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_lupin ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" --class windows --class os {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root F8C4B13FC4B100C4
chainloader +1
}
menuentry "Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda3)" --class windows --class os {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos3)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 6CEAF910EAF8D774
drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

============================= sda2/Wubi/etc/fstab: =============================

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk / ext4 loop,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/host/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk none swap loop,sw 0 0

================= sda2/Wubi: Location of files loaded by Grub: =================

GiB - GB File Fragment(s)

8.178569794 = 8.781672448 boot/grub/grub.cfg 1
2.061828613 = 2.213871616 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-10-generic 2
14.045360565 = 15.081091072 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic 2
26.629467010 = 28.593172480 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic 2
13.734687805 = 14.747508736 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-10-generic 2
13.564765930 = 14.565056512 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic 1
0.421875000 = 0.452984832 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic 2
14.045360565 = 15.081091072 initrd.img 2
2.061828613 = 2.213871616 initrd.img.old 2
13.564765930 = 14.565056512 vmlinuz 1
13.734687805 = 14.747508736 vmlinuz.old 2

=========================== sda5/boot/grub/menu.lst: ===========================

# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
# grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
# grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
# and /usr/share/doc/grub-legacy-doc/.

## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
default 0

## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout 3

## hiddenmenu
# Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
hiddenmenu

# Pretty colours
#color cyan/blue white/blue

## password ['--md5'] passwd
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
# control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the
# command 'lock'
# e.g. password topsecret
# password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/
# password topsecret

#
# examples
#
# title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader +1
#
# title Linux
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
#

#
# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. alternative=true
## alternative=false
# alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. lockalternative=true
## lockalternative=false
# lockalternative=false

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=quiet splash

## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
## e.g. lockold=false
## lockold=true
# lockold=false

## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenhopt=

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenkopt=console=tty0

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
## altoptions=(recovery) single
# altoptions=(recovery mode) single

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
## alternative kernel options
## e.g. howmany=all
## howmany=7
# howmany=all

## specify if running in Xen domU or have grub detect automatically
## update-grub will ignore non-xen kernels when running in domU and vice versa
## e.g. indomU=detect
## indomU=true
## indomU=false
# indomU=detect

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
## memtest86=false
# memtest86=true

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
## can be true or false
# updatedefaultentry=false

## should update-grub add savedefault to the default options
## can be true or false
# savedefault=false

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 11.04, kernel 2.6.38-11-generic
uuid 5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro quiet splash
quiet

title Ubuntu 11.04, kernel 2.6.38-11-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro single

title Ubuntu 11.04, kernel 2.6.38-8-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro quiet splash
quiet

title Ubuntu 11.04, kernel 2.6.38-8-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro single

title Chainload into GRUB 2
root 5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010
kernel /boot/grub/core.img

title Ubuntu 11.04, memtest86+
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

=========================== sda5/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
#

set have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="0"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}

function load_video {
insmod vbe
insmod vga
insmod video_bochs
insmod video_cirrus
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(/dev/sda,msdos5)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010
set gfxmode=auto
load_video
insmod gfxterm
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
set lang=en_US
insmod gettext
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi

clear
fi

if [ ${recordfail} != 1 ]; then
if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
set linux_gfx_mode=keep
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=keep
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
export linux_gfx_mode
if [ "$linux_gfx_mode" != "text" ]; then load_video; fi
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.38-8-generic ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro single
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
}

menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin
}
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
chainloader +1
}
menuentry "Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda3)" --class windows --class os {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
chainloader +1
}

fi

=============================== sda5/etc/fstab: ================================

#
#
/dev/sda5 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=cebc1c17-cd2f-4ccb-be81-20f81b659957 none swap sw 0 0

=================== sda5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

312.330825806 = 335.362670592 boot/grub/core.img 1
312.335144043 = 335.367307264 boot/grub/grub.cfg 1
554.339977264 = 595.218018304 boot/grub/menu.lst 1
312.331516266 = 335.363411968 boot/grub/stage2 1
305.950748444 = 328.512114688 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic 2
305.243164062 = 327.752351744 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic 2
305.579414368 = 328.113397760 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic 1
312.329105377 = 335.360823296 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic 1
305.950748444 = 328.512114688 initrd.img 2
305.243164062 = 327.752351744 initrd.img.old 2
305.579414368 = 328.113397760 vmlinuz 1
312.329105377 = 335.360823296 vmlinuz.old 1

======================== Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc: ========================

Unknown BootLoader on sda4

00000000 4c 18 85 ea 79 18 cf a5 11 77 f5 26 4b 42 37 1d |L...y....w.&KB7.|
00000010 55 5b 90 84 13 eb 54 27 38 5d e4 fd d6 38 c0 f6 |U[....T'8]...8..|
00000020 a1 73 73 5d 99 34 ec 73 b7 52 44 7e 62 1b 76 06 |.ss].4.s.RD~b.v.|
00000030 79 ef 9c d7 9e f8 82 df 7c 6e 43 10 4a 9c fe 5f |y.......|nC.J.._|
00000040 ca b5 52 d7 52 55 f4 b9 f3 ff 00 88 35 64 2a e8 |..R.RU......5d*.|
00000050 91 e1 c8 60 1b de bc e5 6c 9c 79 93 9d b9 2c 4e |...`....l.y...,N|
00000060 e0 79 66 e7 fc fe 34 aa d1 d9 a6 69 28 ab 26 9e |.yf...4....i(.&.|
00000070 87 86 f8 a4 49 e6 e7 70 00 92 7e 51 d7 93 d6 b9 |....I..p..~Q....|
00000080 45 2c ec 8e 47 4d c0 fe 95 ce ae cd 2e ad 6f 22 |E,..GM........o"|
00000090 47 c0 84 1e 87 9c 7b d5 0d e4 b9 00 67 38 04 fd |G.....{.....g8..|
000000a0 69 24 ee 63 66 6a db b9 7d c0 0e 84 1c 01 d7 ad |i$.cfj..}.......|
000000b0 23 da bc 50 90 fb b2 33 8f 63 ff 00 ea a4 d6 ba |#..P...3.c......|
000000c0 9a d9 f5 2a cc ab f6 84 c3 12 59 72 07 bf 19 ae |...*......Yr....|
000000d0 8c 69 d2 aa ef 41 9c 2b 01 f8 d6 89 be 80 b5 7a |.i...A.+.......z|
000000e0 13 a4 72 c6 78 71 92 00 1f 9f 4f f1 a5 5b e9 5a |..r.xq....O..[.Z|
000000f0 76 60 73 c9 c6 3e b8 35 2e db 32 ad 77 6b 9d 2e |v`s..>.5..2.wk..|
00000100 8d 3e e9 94 92 ca 43 15 18 ed 9f ff 00 55 7d 1f |.>....C......U}.|
00000110 f0 f2 4f 31 94 16 39 00 e7 27 dc e2 92 96 9a 77 |..O1..9..'.....w|
00000120 36 4d e9 ae c7 bf 35 ab a4 44 02 0e 57 a6 7f 5a |6M....5..D..W..Z|
00000130 93 c1 e4 7d b9 90 af 1b 89 fa fb ff 00 3a ce 54 |...}.........:.T|
00000140 e2 dd fb 1a a8 a9 36 d7 63 d7 55 4e d1 91 c0 19 |......6.c.UN....|
00000150 18 fa d6 84 10 6e 40 0f 7c e0 fa 73 4a 3d 75 37 |.....n@.|..sJ=u7|
00000160 d9 6a 50 58 a5 0e 08 07 e5 62 6b 45 2e a4 5c 7c |.jPX.....bkE..\||
00000170 a4 9e 3b f6 ac 5c 2d 26 de cc 94 9d d9 61 2f 65 |..;..\-&.....a/e|
00000180 39 50 9f c4 05 58 6d 50 a4 60 94 fb dc 11 9e 9d |9P...XmP.`......|
00000190 6b 48 c5 de cb 61 a7 25 a0 91 6b 8a 50 fe ed b9 |kH...a.%..k.P...|
000001a0 63 df ad 3b fb 71 a2 40 56 22 d9 07 23 1d 38 c5 |c..;.q.@V"..#.8.|
000001b0 5b 8a 4e c2 77 ea 71 52 0d 4e ee e8 dc 3c 00 fe |[.N.w.qR.N...<..|
000001c0 ff ff 83 fe ff ff 02 00 00 00 00 20 03 22 00 fe |........... ."..|
000001d0 ff ff 05 fe ff ff 02 20 03 22 00 c0 5d 00 00 00 |....... ."..]...|
000001e0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
000001f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa |..............U.|

Unknown BootLoader on sdb1

00000000 eb 58 90 42 53 44 20 20 34 2e 34 00 02 40 20 00 |.X.BSD 4.4..@ .|
00000010 02 00 00 00 00 f0 00 00 20 00 ff 00 00 00 00 00 |........ .......|
00000020 71 ea 42 25 05 2a 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 |q.B%.*..........|
00000030 01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
00000040 00 00 29 ee 1d f5 7e 42 41 43 4b 55 50 20 20 20 |..)...~BACKUP |
00000050 20 20 46 41 54 33 32 20 20 20 fa 31 c0 8e d0 bc | FAT32 .1....|
00000060 00 7c fb 8e d8 e8 00 00 5e 83 c6 19 bb 07 00 fc |.|......^.......|
00000070 ac 84 c0 74 06 b4 0e cd 10 eb f5 30 e4 cd 16 cd |...t.......0....|
00000080 19 0d 0a 4e 6f 6e 2d 73 79 73 74 65 6d 20 64 69 |...Non-system di|
00000090 73 6b 0d 0a 50 72 65 73 73 20 61 6e 79 20 6b 65 |sk..Press any ke|
000000a0 79 20 74 6f 20 72 65 62 6f 6f 74 0d 0a 00 00 00 |y to reboot.....|
000000b0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|

========= Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive: =========

sdc

MidnightJava
October 13th, 2011, 01:15 PM
A bit more info: I noticed this in the RESULTS file

insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
chainloader +1
}
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###And remembered that there was en entry on the grub screen for something like "Chainloader into grub2". So I tried booting into that entry, and I got the error "Error 11: Unrecognized Device Name"

MidnightJava
October 13th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Well the problem is getting stranger. I re-booted to double-check that I quoted the error message accurately above. Previously to get the boot menu I hit the ESC key on the original blue screen as the system was preparing to boot, and I would be taken to a black and white menu, which I think was a grub menu. It wasn't the same style as the black and white Windows menu I used to get when I wanted to boot either Windows or wubi, but it also wasn't the Ubuntu-styled menu I used to get as well (with the same background color as Ubuntu default desktop).

But now when I hit the ESC key, I'm taken to a blue menu that looks like a DOS menu. It says to choose a device, from the following options:

WDC WD6400AAKS-65Z2B0
hp DDVDW TS-H653R
Realtek PXE B03 D00
WD My Book

If I choose either of the first three, it loads grub and boots into Ubuntu in /dev/sda5. If I choose the last one, it goes to a black screen and nothing further happens.

coffeecat
October 13th, 2011, 01:34 PM
You have a strange mixture of legacy grub and grub 2 in your Ubuntu installation. The grub menu you are seeing is the legacy grub menu. This may be the work of "boot-repair", whatever that is. It has seriously muddled the situation. I'll get back to you. Need to check something.

MidnightJava
October 13th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks for looking into it. FYI Boot-Repair came from an Ubuntu support page found here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows). It was the first hit when I googled "Ubuntu fix boot loader". I followed the instructions under the heading "Using the Ubuntu CD (Recommended)" booting into the Ubuntu installation disk and then using the following apt-get commands per instructions given when I clicked the Boot-Repair link

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

coffeecat
October 13th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I've not been in this situation. I think the best way around this is to re-install grub2 to the mbr with the liveCD/USB and then purge legacy grub after that. I'm 90% confident that is the way to go, but not 100%, tbh. The person I was hoping to involve is not on-line at the moment, but let's see what we can do and if it doesn't work, I'll call in a second opinion.

Boot up with the 11.04 live CD (or live USB). If you use a live USB, check that your main 640GB drive still appears as sda with "sudo fdisk -lu".

Open a terminal, and:

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

Reboot and see if you get the grub2 menu with the Windows entries. Check that you can boot into both Windows and Ubuntu and then we'll see about purging legacy grub.

coffeecat
October 13th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks for looking into it. FYI Boot-Repair came from an Ubuntu support page found here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows).

Curious. That looks fine and the boot-repair documentation says that it can fix grub2. Whatever - it's legacy grub that's getting in the way, so hopefully from my previous post we'll be able to get you back to the grub2 menu.

MidnightJava
October 13th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I tried to do this before leaving for work today, but was unable to boot into the live CD. I've found it to be quite sensitive, even though I burned it at the slowest speed, per the web site instructions. When I did the original install, I had a CPU panic the first time I tried it, a system hang the second time, and the third time was the charm. This morning, it loaded the main screen and after I clicked "Try Ubuntu" it went to a black screen and I gave up after 10 minutes and rebooted. This time when I clicked "Try Ubuntu" I was able to set up my wireless network connection and access other items in the main menu, but the spinning ball never stopped and the main screen never went away, even after 20 min or so. I think maybe I need to power the computer all the way down before booting it, and I'll try that this evening.

As for Boot-Repair, in hind sight something was a bit odd when I installed it using apt-get. While the packages were loading, suddenly a window popped up titled "Boot-Repair" and asked me if I wanted to run the recommended repair. I was expecting to launch it manually, and was going to follow the instructions on the web page regarding which option to execute. Maybe the auto-launch took me down a different path.

I'll post tomorrow with results of the grub commands. Thanks again for all your efforts and expertise.

coffeecat
October 13th, 2011, 04:12 PM
CDs can be a bit iffy in my experience. If one misbehaves I usually simply burn another one. Something as simple as a bit of dust can cause misreads and weird happenings. I prefer to make bootable USB pendrives, but you do have to be careful with the hard drive designation if you do. With some BIOS's the pendrive comes out as sda.

MidnightJava
October 14th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Running those grub commands seems to have worked. I was able to boot into Ubuntu from the grub2 screen that comes up after the BIOS loads, and I can select the Windows entry from grub2 and I get the secondary screen with Windows and wubi, and successfully boot into Windows. Windows found it necessary to run CHKDSK the first time, but no errors were found.

One minor difference is that I don't see the additional Ubuntu boot entry I used to see, for an earlier version of Ubuntu. I never used that, but I'm curious if that is something always there, or another off-nominal feature of my installation.

I ran boot-info script again and pasted the results below, in case that's needed for getting rid of legacy grub.

Boot Info Script 0.60 from 17 May 2011

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1 of
the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks
for (,msdos5)/boot/grub on this drive.
=> No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System:
Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System: Windows 7
Boot files: /Windows/System32/winload.exe /wubildr
/ubuntu/winboot/wubildr /wubildr.mbr
/ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk

sda2/Wubi: __________________________________________________ ___________________

Boot sector info:
Boot files: /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab

sda3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System:
Boot files: /bootmgr /boot/bcd

sda4: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: Extended Partition
Boot sector info:

sda5: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Boot sector info:
Boot files: /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/grub.cfg /etc/fstab
/boot/grub/core.img

sda6: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: swap
Boot sector info:

sda7: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System:
Boot files:

sdb1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: vfat
Boot sector info: According to the info in the boot sector, sdb1 starts
at sector 0. But according to the info from fdisk,
sdb1 starts at sector 63.
Operating System:
Boot files:

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

/dev/sda1 * 2,048 206,847 204,800 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sda2 206,848 637,943,807 637,736,960 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sda3 1,224,960,000 1,250,260,991 25,300,992 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS
/dev/sda4 637,945,854 1,224,959,999 587,014,146 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 637,945,856 1,208,575,999 570,630,144 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 1,208,578,048 1,214,719,999 6,141,952 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 1,214,722,048 1,224,959,999 10,237,952 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

Drive: sdb __________________________________________________ ___________________

/dev/sdb1 63 625,142,447 625,142,385 b W95 FAT32

"blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/sda1 F8C4B13FC4B100C4 ntfs SYSTEM
/dev/sda2 36AA701CAA6FD6C1 ntfs OS
/dev/sda3 6CEAF910EAF8D774 ntfs HP_RECOVERY
/dev/sda5 5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ext4
/dev/sda6 cebc1c17-cd2f-4ccb-be81-20f81b659957 swap
/dev/sda7 1FF344F316D8343E ntfs Shared
/dev/sdb1 7EF5-1DEE vfat BACKUP

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/sda5 / ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,commit=0)
/dev/sdb1 /media/BACKUP vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000, shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)

======================== sda2/Wubi/boot/grub/grub.cfg: =========================

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
#

set have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="0"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
}

function load_video {
true
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
set gfxmode=auto
load_video
insmod gfxterm
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi

clear
fi

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_lupin ###
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-11-generic" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=UUID=36AA701CAA6FD6C1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-11-generic (recovery mode)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=UUID=36AA701CAA6FD6C1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro single
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-10-generic" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-10-generic root=UUID=36AA701CAA6FD6C1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-10-generic (recovery mode)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-10-generic root=UUID=36AA701CAA6FD6C1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro single
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-8-generic" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=36AA701CAA6FD6C1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
}
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (recovery mode)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root=(loop0)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=36AA701CAA6FD6C1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro single
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_lupin ###

insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
chainloader +1
}
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
chainloader +1
}

fi

============================= sda2/Wubi/etc/fstab: =============================

#
#
/host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk / ext4 loop,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/host/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk none swap loop,sw 0 0

================= sda2/Wubi: Location of files loaded by Grub: =================

8.178569794 = 8.781672448 boot/grub/grub.cfg 1
2.061828613 = 2.213871616 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-10-generic 2
14.045360565 = 15.081091072 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic 2
26.629467010 = 28.593172480 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic 2
13.734687805 = 14.747508736 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-10-generic 2
13.564765930 = 14.565056512 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic 1
0.421875000 = 0.452984832 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic 2
14.045360565 = 15.081091072 initrd.img 2
2.061828613 = 2.213871616 initrd.img.old 2
13.564765930 = 14.565056512 vmlinuz 1
13.734687805 = 14.747508736 vmlinuz.old 2

=========================== sda5/boot/grub/menu.lst: ===========================

# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
# grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
# grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
# and /usr/share/doc/grub-legacy-doc/.

## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
# WARNING: If you are using dmraid do not use 'savedefault' or your
# array will desync and will not let you boot your system.
default 0

## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout 3

## hiddenmenu
# Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
hiddenmenu

# Pretty colours
#color cyan/blue white/blue

## password ['--md5'] passwd
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
# control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the
# command 'lock'
# e.g. password topsecret
# password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/
# password topsecret

#
# examples
#
# title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader +1
#
# title Linux
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
#

#
# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
## kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
# kopt=root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. alternative=true
## alternative=false
# alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. lockalternative=true
## lockalternative=false
# lockalternative=false

## additional options to use with the default boot option, but not with the
## alternatives
## e.g. defoptions=vga=791 resume=/dev/hda5
# defoptions=quiet splash

## should update-grub lock old automagic boot options
## e.g. lockold=false
## lockold=true
# lockold=false

## Xen hypervisor options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenhopt=

## Xen Linux kernel options to use with the default Xen boot option
# xenkopt=console=tty0

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
## altoptions=(recovery) single
# altoptions=(recovery mode) single

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
## alternative kernel options
## e.g. howmany=all
## howmany=7
# howmany=all

## specify if running in Xen domU or have grub detect automatically
## update-grub will ignore non-xen kernels when running in domU and vice versa
## e.g. indomU=detect
## indomU=true
## indomU=false
# indomU=detect

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
## memtest86=false
# memtest86=true

## should update-grub adjust the value of the default booted system
## can be true or false
# updatedefaultentry=false

## should update-grub add savedefault to the default options
## can be true or false
# savedefault=false

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 11.04, kernel 2.6.38-11-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro quiet splash
quiet

title Ubuntu 11.04, kernel 2.6.38-11-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro single

title Ubuntu 11.04, kernel 2.6.38-8-generic
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro quiet splash
quiet

title Ubuntu 11.04, kernel 2.6.38-8-generic (recovery mode)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro single

title Chainload into GRUB 2
root 5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010
kernel /boot/grub/core.img

title Ubuntu 11.04, memtest86+
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

=========================== sda5/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
#

set have_grubenv=true
load_env
fi
set default="0"
save_env saved_entry
set prev_saved_entry=
set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
saved_entry="${chosen}"
save_env saved_entry
fi
}

function recordfail {
set recordfail=1
}

function load_video {
insmod vbe
insmod vga
insmod video_bochs
insmod video_cirrus
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set gfxmode=auto
load_video
insmod gfxterm
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
set lang=en_US
insmod gettext
set timeout=-1
else
set timeout=10
fi

clear
fi

if [ ${recordfail} != 1 ]; then
if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
set linux_gfx_mode=keep
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=keep
fi
else
set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
export linux_gfx_mode
if [ "$linux_gfx_mode" != "text" ]; then load_video; fi
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
recordfail
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
echo 'Loading Linux 2.6.38-8-generic ...'
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic root=UUID=5ebb92a5-b015-4a90-b55a-48a521237010 ro single
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
}

menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin
}
menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
linux16 /boot/memtest86+.bin console=ttyS0,115200n8
}

insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
chainloader +1
}
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
chainloader +1
}

fi

=============================== sda5/etc/fstab: ================================

#
#
/dev/sda5 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=cebc1c17-cd2f-4ccb-be81-20f81b659957 none swap sw 0 0

=================== sda5: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

312.333408356 = 335.365443584 boot/grub/core.img 1
312.335144043 = 335.367307264 boot/grub/grub.cfg 1
554.339977264 = 595.218018304 boot/grub/menu.lst 1
312.331516266 = 335.363411968 boot/grub/stage2 1
305.950748444 = 328.512114688 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-11-generic 2
305.243164062 = 327.752351744 boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic 2
305.579414368 = 328.113397760 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-11-generic 1
312.329105377 = 335.360823296 boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic 1
305.950748444 = 328.512114688 initrd.img 2
305.243164062 = 327.752351744 initrd.img.old 2
305.579414368 = 328.113397760 vmlinuz 1
312.329105377 = 335.360823296 vmlinuz.old 1

======================== Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc: ========================

Unknown BootLoader on sda4

00000000 4c 18 85 ea 79 18 cf a5 11 77 f5 26 4b 42 37 1d |L...y....w.&KB7.|
00000010 55 5b 90 84 13 eb 54 27 38 5d e4 fd d6 38 c0 f6 |U[....T'8]...8..|
00000020 a1 73 73 5d 99 34 ec 73 b7 52 44 7e 62 1b 76 06 |.ss].4.s.RD~b.v.|
00000030 79 ef 9c d7 9e f8 82 df 7c 6e 43 10 4a 9c fe 5f |y.......|nC.J.._|
00000040 ca b5 52 d7 52 55 f4 b9 f3 ff 00 88 35 64 2a e8 |..R.RU......5d*.|
00000050 91 e1 c8 60 1b de bc e5 6c 9c 79 93 9d b9 2c 4e |...`....l.y...,N|
00000060 e0 79 66 e7 fc fe 34 aa d1 d9 a6 69 28 ab 26 9e |.yf...4....i(.&.|
00000070 87 86 f8 a4 49 e6 e7 70 00 92 7e 51 d7 93 d6 b9 |....I..p..~Q....|
00000080 45 2c ec 8e 47 4d c0 fe 95 ce ae cd 2e ad 6f 22 |E,..GM........o"|
00000090 47 c0 84 1e 87 9c 7b d5 0d e4 b9 00 67 38 04 fd |G.....{.....g8..|
000000a0 69 24 ee 63 66 6a db b9 7d c0 0e 84 1c 01 d7 ad |i$.cfj..}.......|
000000b0 23 da bc 50 90 fb b2 33 8f 63 ff 00 ea a4 d6 ba |#..P...3.c......|
000000c0 9a d9 f5 2a cc ab f6 84 c3 12 59 72 07 bf 19 ae |...*......Yr....|
000000d0 8c 69 d2 aa ef 41 9c 2b 01 f8 d6 89 be 80 b5 7a |.i...A.+.......z|
000000e0 13 a4 72 c6 78 71 92 00 1f 9f 4f f1 a5 5b e9 5a |..r.xq....O..[.Z|
000000f0 76 60 73 c9 c6 3e b8 35 2e db 32 ad 77 6b 9d 2e |v`s..>.5..2.wk..|
00000100 8d 3e e9 94 92 ca 43 15 18 ed 9f ff 00 55 7d 1f |.>....C......U}.|
00000110 f0 f2 4f 31 94 16 39 00 e7 27 dc e2 92 96 9a 77 |..O1..9..'.....w|
00000120 36 4d e9 ae c7 bf 35 ab a4 44 02 0e 57 a6 7f 5a |6M....5..D..W..Z|
00000130 93 c1 e4 7d b9 90 af 1b 89 fa fb ff 00 3a ce 54 |...}.........:.T|
00000140 e2 dd fb 1a a8 a9 36 d7 63 d7 55 4e d1 91 c0 19 |......6.c.UN....|
00000150 18 fa d6 84 10 6e 40 0f 7c e0 fa 73 4a 3d 75 37 |.....n@.|..sJ=u7|
00000160 d9 6a 50 58 a5 0e 08 07 e5 62 6b 45 2e a4 5c 7c |.jPX.....bkE..\||
00000170 a4 9e 3b f6 ac 5c 2d 26 de cc 94 9d d9 61 2f 65 |..;..\-&.....a/e|
00000180 39 50 9f c4 05 58 6d 50 a4 60 94 fb dc 11 9e 9d |9P...XmP.`......|
00000190 6b 48 c5 de cb 61 a7 25 a0 91 6b 8a 50 fe ed b9 |kH...a.%..k.P...|
000001a0 63 df ad 3b fb 71 a2 40 56 22 d9 07 23 1d 38 c5 |c..;.q.@V"..#.8.|
000001b0 5b 8a 4e c2 77 ea 71 52 0d 4e ee e8 dc 3c 00 fe |[.N.w.qR.N...<..|
000001c0 ff ff 83 fe ff ff 02 00 00 00 00 20 03 22 00 fe |........... ."..|
000001d0 ff ff 05 fe ff ff 02 20 03 22 00 c0 5d 00 00 00 |....... ."..]...|
000001e0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|

Unknown BootLoader on sdb1

00000000 eb 58 90 42 53 44 20 20 34 2e 34 00 02 40 20 00 |.X.BSD 4.4..@ .|
00000010 02 00 00 00 00 f0 00 00 20 00 ff 00 00 00 00 00 |........ .......|
00000020 71 ea 42 25 05 2a 01 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 |q.B%.*..........|
00000030 01 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
00000040 00 00 29 ee 1d f5 7e 42 41 43 4b 55 50 20 20 20 |..)...~BACKUP |
00000050 20 20 46 41 54 33 32 20 20 20 fa 31 c0 8e d0 bc | FAT32 .1....|
00000060 00 7c fb 8e d8 e8 00 00 5e 83 c6 19 bb 07 00 fc |.|......^.......|
00000070 ac 84 c0 74 06 b4 0e cd 10 eb f5 30 e4 cd 16 cd |...t.......0....|
00000080 19 0d 0a 4e 6f 6e 2d 73 79 73 74 65 6d 20 64 69 |...Non-system di|
00000090 73 6b 0d 0a 50 72 65 73 73 20 61 6e 79 20 6b 65 |sk..Press any ke|
000000a0 79 20 74 6f 20 72 65 62 6f 6f 74 0d 0a 00 00 00 |y to reboot.....|
000000b0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|

========= Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive: =========

sdc

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

unlzma: Decoder error

coffeecat
October 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM
That "Chainload into grub2" entry in the legacy grub menu is weird. I can't see that it would work. Best ignore the fact that it was there. Your grub2 menu looks to have the entries it needs.

I'm posting from Oneiric at the moment. I'll boot into Natty later on to double-check the packages that you need to uninstall to get rid of the residual legacy grub stuff, and then post back. Not that its presence seems to be doing any harm at the moment.

I've had a further thought about the ntfs /etc/fstab line that I gave you. It's perfectly safe but sub-optimal. There's a forum member, Morbius1, who posts very clearly and knowledgeably about mounting NTFS partitions. If you search for their posts, you'll find several with better mount options and good explanations for why they are needed. One is "windows_names" which I was not aware of until I read one of Morbius1's posts.

coffeecat
October 14th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Picking up your "earlier version of Ubuntu" in the grub menu, the wubi grub menu is showing you the -11, -10 and -8 kernels, the legacy grub menu for your sda5 installation is showing the -11 and -8 kernels, and your grub2 menu for your sda5 installation is showing only the -8 kernel (apart from Windows and memtest). Whilst you are booted into the sda5 Ubuntu, run:

sudo update-grub

And the -11 kernel will be added to the grub 2 menu.

I'm in 11.04 at the moment and have checked the grub packages. If you want to purge legacy grub (it's not 100% necessary), open Synaptic and search for the package "grub" and mark it for complete removal. Before you apply that, make sure the version is 0.97-29ubuntu*. Have a look through all the grub* packages, and anything that is version 0.97* can be removed. Make sure you don't remove any grub packages that are version 1.99*. That's grub2.