PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't get interface to start when graphics drivers are installed

emerald876
October 9th, 2011, 04:02 AM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 11.04 on my custom build. Whenever I install the nvidia drivers, neither the gnome or unity interface starts. I have to go into terminal and type "gnome-panel --replace"

If I uninstall the NVIDIA drivers, it goes into the gnome interface.

I'm just wondering if anyone could help me to figure out why it does this, it's the first time i've tried to install ubuntu other than a wubi on this build.

RIG
Phenom II x4 945
4GB DDR3 1333mhz (G.Skill)
NVIDIA GTS450

I'm not the most technical person when it comes to linux, so I might need alot of help doing simple tasks.
Any help would be appreciated though.

Krytarik
October 9th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Try adding this option to the "Screen" section of your "/etc/X11/xorg.conf", if it isn't there already:

Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Hope this helps!

dFlyer
October 9th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Don't know if this link will help you but you might want to give it a try:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1647855

emerald876
October 9th, 2011, 04:11 AM
UPDATE: I uninstalled them and installed the experimental 3D drivers and it works now, but i'm still not sure whether or not I should try and get the stable drivers.

Krytarik
October 9th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I uninstalled them and installed the experimental 3D drivers and it works now, but i'm still not sure whether or not I should try and get the stable drivers.
Well, the open source "nouveau" driver with 3D support enabled - which is precisely what you are running now - , works good and stable enough, afaik. So, if it works for you, let it run. ;-)