PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] apt-get

nahua
October 9th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Hi, I am quite new with linux and when I try to install packages with the apt-get install command, the terminal does nothing at all, just returns to a new line.

if I type:
apt-get install python-tk
response:
bash: /usr/bin/apt-get: input/output error

if I type:
sudo apt-get install python-tk

I get no response at all and lets me write a new command.

The only thing I can think about is that I am running Ubuntu form a USB stick without installing it into the hard drive. Can this be the issue?

thank you.

dFlyer
October 9th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Try this:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-cache search python-tk

I can't answer the usb question, as i've always use a hd install.

Hakunka-Matata
October 9th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Hi, I am quite new with linux and when I try to install packages with the apt-get install command, the terminal does nothing at all, just returns to a new line.

if I type:
response:

if I type:

The only thing I can think about is that I am running Ubuntu form a USB stick without installing it into the hard drive. Can this be the issue?

thank you.

The red bit, you cannot install programs whilst running from a live cd/usb. Is that what you're doing?
The changes cannot be saved to the CD.
Nothing you do whilst running in live CD lives beyond the reboot, it all goes away on reboot.

Nutria
October 9th, 2011, 06:18 AM
The red bit, you cannot install programs whilst running from a live cd/usb.

Sure you can. I've done it more than a few times. The updates get stored to your in-memory file system.

The changes cannot be saved to the CD.
Nothing you do whilst running in live CD lives beyond the reboot, it all goes away on reboot.

That's a different issue.

Nutria
October 9th, 2011, 06:22 AM

if I type:
response:

That smells of h/w corruption.

if I type:

What you did is *supposed* to work. I'd try a different stick, or -- if possible, a CD/DVD.

nahua
October 9th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Finally I installed it in the hdrive, everything is working fine now. Hope all these possible solutions can help anyone some time!

thanks a lot for the fast replies!

Hakunka-Matata
October 9th, 2011, 05:05 PM
what did you do differently to make it work?