PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Netbook - Installing Ubuntu

Nathanj295
October 8th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Hi,

I'm completely new to this site but have enjoyed reading some of the posts!

Just bought the Toshiba NB550D Netbook and absolutely hate Windows 7 Starter. As well as this i've just started University and will be learning/using alot of Ubuntu there so it would be useful to have a system with Ubuntu loaded on.

I've read in another post that someone with this same netbook, had compatibility problems with Bluetooth and a few other things (can't quite remember what) and a reply recommended doing a dual boot. Should I go down this route? If so, how do I go about doing this? I really would like to completely get rid of windows and just have Ubuntu as my OS though, any ideas if that would be possible?

Thanks in advance :)
Nathan

Basher101
October 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I do not know how the Netbooks are, but i do know that (some) Toshiba Laptops have very poor support for Ubuntu and Linux in general (some wont even boot live CDs....)

So the only advice i can give is make a Live CD (or USB in your case i guess) and see if everything works (and what does not) before installing.

Nathanj295
October 8th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!
So your saying I should try ubuntu off the usb as opposed to dual booting and see how it goes?
Is there any kind of test or command I can do to determine what does and doesn't work?
I've read in a few places the model I have works quite well with 11.04 so fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

Basher101
October 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!
So your saying I should try ubuntu off the usb as opposed to dual booting and see how it goes?
Is there any kind of test or command I can do to determine what does and doesn't work?
I've read in a few places the model I have works quite well with 11.04 so fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

Sorry this second answer takes a bit longer, i cant help 3 ppl at the same time^^

well to determine if something works is trying to use it. Use your Wifi, use your LAN, use your Bluetooth and see if they work. Thats exactly what the "Try Ubuntu" option is for on the Live CD (USB)

Here is a link where you can get the program that will create a Live USB for you http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ look for the Universal-USB-Installer 1.8.6

Nathanj295
October 9th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Ok thanks for your help! Ill give that a go and see how things are :)

mtn
December 23rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Hey, I'm thinking about installing Ubuntu on my NB550D-10G. How did you get on? Did everything work ok? How do you boot up from the USB stick?