PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft are responsible for electronics waste

ade234uk
June 1st, 2006, 07:52 AM
They had a feature on electronics waste and how it is damaging our enviroment. What they are worried about is the amount of computer waste that is being generated.

So it looks like from Microsoft specifications, Vista will require users to buy a new machine if they want all the new faetures, it now means people will be creating more computer waste and damaging our enviroment.

Again another reason why Linux / Ubuntu is great because it can run on a machines with minimum spec.

B0rsuk
June 1st, 2006, 08:33 AM
Things to keep in mind:

M$ is very happy with forcing people to use newer windows releases, such as breaking backwards compatibility. Newer windows invariably requires stronger hardware.

Casual users treat computers the same way they treat, for example, a pair of shoes. They don't see that typical windows pc gets bloated with spyware and anti-spyware/anti-virus monitors. For them, computers just wear away. They think it's simply time to buy new one, because current machine gets less and less responsive.
It will never occur to them it may be operating system's fault.

My not-so-technical friend needs about 5 minutes to get his windows xp machine running. (until hard drive stops sweating) He's certain it's not caused by viruses/spyware, because his protection software/monitor is so good. He's very hyped about vista. He cuts the power when he feels too tired to shut it down properly. And... he's studying IT.

BoyOfDestiny
June 1st, 2006, 09:06 AM
They had a feature on electronics waste and how it is damaging our enviroment. What they are worried about is the amount of computer waste that is being generated.

So it looks like from Microsoft specifications, Vista will require users to buy a new machine if they want all the new faetures, it now means people will be creating more computer waste and damaging our enviroment.

Again another reason why Linux / Ubuntu is great because it can run on a machines with minimum spec.

These folks should donate their machines, maybe recycle them if they are really pieces of crap. I personally keep mine (for scavenging parts) or give them away...

Here was a decent review of Vista

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/vistab2.ars

on quite a powerful machine...

No, I'm not interested in using it, but the default install uses 14 gigs of space... That better be just because it's a beta... Geez... It almost seems unreal. Even by today's standards... Anyway, that IMHO is electronic waste... ;)