PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome 3 and integrated graphics

Mathias1
October 8th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Here's the thing:

I'm using an Asus U31f laptop with integrated Intel graphics.
I want to upgrade to 11.10 when it's released, but I don't like Unity and want to use Gnome 3. Will this even work? I heard that Gnome 3 has hardware graphics requirements..?

BigSilly
October 8th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Well, the missus has a Dell laptop that she got years ago with Ubuntu 7.10 pre-installed (remember that? :D). It has an Intel GMA965 inside, and only 1Gb RAM, and it runs Gnome 3 really well. BUT! I'm not sure how it runs Ubuntu's Gnome 3. I downloaded the openSUSE 12.1 Gnome 3.2 beta the other day, and it ran beautifully on the laptop. No glitches or problems of any kind, and the missus was well impressed. But I gather Ubuntu's implementation of it is not so great. I cannot say as I've only tried the openSUSE version of it.

Overall though, it seems to me that Gnome 3 runs great on often much older or low-powered graphics. Hope this helps. :)

Rusky
October 8th, 2011, 08:14 PM
As long as you can run hardware-accelerated graphics, GNOME3 should work. Ubuntu should not have affected this; Unity (non-2D) should be a good indicator of this. The Oneiric beta runs it fine on my Intel HD 3000.