PDA

View Full Version : Do you make backups?

person287
October 8th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Hi,
I'm doing a post for my site (http://silicoxvalley.com) and I was wondering do you make backups, and if yeah how often?
If you do or don't, it'd be great if you could vote on my Poll (http://poll.fm/3bbya), and if you use a program then could you tell me here.
Thanks, Ed

collisionystm
October 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Hi,
I'm doing a post for my site (http://silicoxvalley.com) and I was wondering do you make backups, and if yeah how often?
If you do or don't, it'd be great if you could vote on my Poll (http://poll.fm/3bbya), and if you use a program then could you tell me here.
Thanks, Ed

yeah, rsnapshot. Backups 5 linux servers and 2 Windows every night of the week.

CharlesA
October 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I just use rsync myself, but +1 to rsnapshot.

markp1989
October 8th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I only back up things that are not replaceable, like uni coursework.

I use dropbox on all my machines, so its instantly on all my machines, my file server also take an hourly copy of the dropbox folder on to a different local drive just encase something happens to my account.

the local dropbox backup is also rsynced to a remote, server every 24 hours.

I don't back up my music or movies as it would cost too much to remotely back them up, and if the worst happens I can always re rip them.

rudihawk
October 8th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I backup stuff that I can't replace.

Photos and University stuff mostly.

mr-woof
October 8th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I've just started to use Rsync for my backups, in the past id just copy everything to an external hd.

For a new rsync user, what options would people recommend? Im on my netbook at the moment, so dont have the sh file handy, but i think i'm using azv --progress --delete.

Internal hd to external drive

CharlesA
October 8th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I use rsync -ai most of the time.

mr-woof
October 8th, 2011, 03:10 PM
whats the benefit of using ai?

CharlesA
October 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM
-a = --archive - recursive/preserve permissions
-i = --itemize-changes - shows what's going on. You can also use -v I believe.

Man page can be found here (http://linux.die.net/man/1/rsync). ;)

mr-woof
October 8th, 2011, 03:22 PM
:) I've been impressed with it so far, the sync is very quick after the first complete backup

CharlesA
October 8th, 2011, 03:23 PM
:) I've been impressed with it so far, the sync is very quick after the first complete backup
Yep, it only sends the part of the file that has changed. Very nice.

beercz
October 8th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I use rsync and rsnapshot - up to 5 times per day - to an encrypted external USB hard disk and spare PC with a massive hard disk.

I have a lot of confidential data and I've been doing this for years and have never lost a thing!!

wolfen69
October 9th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Doesn't anybody believe in copy/paste to an extra hard drive(s)? Or is that too old school?

beercz
October 9th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Doesn't anybody believe in copy/paste to an extra hard drive(s)? Or is that too old school?
Takes too long, I have 350 Gb of data to backup - rsync (and rsnapshot) only backs up new or modified files, takes less than 20 minutes.

wolfen69
October 9th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Takes too long, I have 350 Gb of data to backup - rsync (and rsnapshot) only backs up new or modified files, takes less than 20 minutes.

I don't recopy anything. Anything new I get that I want to keep automatically gets copied to my storage drives. I don't download huge files most of the time, so it's easy to copy/paste. Plus, I don't save much stuff anymore. So there!

jchw
October 9th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I use Deja Dup backing up to a USB memory stick on a daily basis. Deja Dup works fine and I have reinstalled a few times with complete success. While Deja Dup restores my setting and bookmarks etc for the desktop, Thunderbird and Firefox I have to manually reinstall some of the additional programs I have loaded like fslint, Googleearth, unetbootin and Crossover. This is usually very quick once the restore is completed.

IWantFroyo
October 9th, 2011, 02:02 AM
I used to use BackInTime. Now I just use a USB drive. Most of my data is in text documents.

jonkiribati
October 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I used backup-manager to backup some servers and it seems to be great.

Paqman
October 9th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I don't.

Anacron and rsync take care of it all for me, I never lift a finger.

Lucradia
October 9th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I do not make backups, as all of my documents are permanently stores (the ones I keep anyway) on a 32 GB flash drive. Anything else, like, temporary art I change, temp. texts, temp. anything, is removed when I reformat the harddrive. I do not ever store installers, etc. unless it's for old stuff like ffdshow that will never be updated as it was back then.

This is also why I have no need, whatsoever, for cloud storage save for picasaweb for my wallpapers and things I don't really need to actually keep, but want to see every now and then (like, months and months, even years, until I look at it again.)

Windows may make backups using the system recovery dealie, but that's Microsoft's doing, not mine.

keithpeter
October 9th, 2011, 04:13 PM
+1 rsync but only a couple of hundred Gb

I use --delete option for one external hard drive which then has an exact copy of what is on the hard drive of this PC

I have another much larger external hard drive where I run rsync without the --delete option, so everything is kept, even when I delete files from the hard drive pc.

Finally, I use a dropbox account to keep working files in, mostly ODT documents of handouts, but also a copy of my web site. I use dropbox as I need to sync with a windows laptop.